Food, Menu, and recipes

I thought that Foods, Menu, and Recipes might be of interest. Here is how it works:

1. Post your top four favorite foods.

2. Post one favorite menu. In other words, foods that are to be eaten during the course of one meal and that appear to you to compliment one another and that you would serve guests.

3. Post one favorite recipe.

I thought that we should limit it to items that can be cooked in camp over a wood fire. You are welcome to use an ice chest for storage because the meal may be any of the top three usually eaten during the day.

I am going to think about this for a little while before I reply, so that I may reflect on some of the top foods and meals that I have eaten in camp.

I want to thank any of you in advance for participating. I will most likely use these answers in the near future to share with other Scouters.

Thank you,

Fuzzy Bear

1. My four most favorite foods is Pizza, it has starch in its crust, it has dairy in the cheese, it has protein in its sauasage (or anchovies, double on mine), and it has vegtables in the onions, peppers, mushrooms (ok, maybe mushrooms arent a real vegetable)

Pizza, the perfect food!

2. See above

3. Well of course now I will be inconsistent, when backpacking my favorite meal is Cous Cous, it is tiny tiny pepples of pasta, usually comes with a foil pack of seasonings. The Cous Cous are pretty bland by themselves, as is most pasta, but it comes in Pine Nuts, Garlic and Oil, etc flavors some have freeze dried vegtables mixed in. Its easy to take out of the cardboard box it comes in and transports well in a zip loc bag. Cooking is as simple as can be, boil the specified amount of water, usually 1.5 cups and then pour the cous cous in the boiling water, take off heat and stir in the seasoning let sit a few minutes and eat. It remains hot for a long time. Its very dense, very filling, and if you add some tuna or chicken from a foil package, its a well balanced meal.

FOG-- pizza is hard to beat-- a favorite meal the boys like to make are hobo diners ( meat,carrots, potatoes,onions and misc. spices wrap in foil and through over the hot embers)bread and butter along with some bug juice seams to make them happy--- RM

FOG-- pizza is hard to beat-- a favorite meal the boys like to make are hobo diners ( meat,carrots, potatoes,onions and misc. spices wrap in foil and through over the hot embers)bread and butter along with some bug juice seams to make them happy--- RM

Breakfast Burritos are a morning favorite of our troop...it contins within all of the basic food groups, and can be very filling and energizing...

As for other meals, it depends on what you want...for something light just to tide you over if you're going to be hiking, etc. then I would recommend soup...

Stew or anything involving pasta is good for a large, filling meal, usually good for supper...my home patrol, the Rams, twice attempted Dutch Oven Pizza...it turned out pretty good. :)

Experiment is all I can say...the possiblities are endless when it comes to camp food. :)

Tamegonit Arrowman

Anything cooked in a Dutch Oven!!

Here is a recipe that our adult patrol loves.

1-2 large cans cooked chicken

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 cup mayonnaise

1 box "Stove Top" stuffing, chicken flavor

Combine soup, mayonnaise, seasoning from stuffing and chicken. Stir and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Make a pot of succatash and you have yourself a pretty decent meal.

My top four favorite foods, Meat, bread, eggs, Sweets.

I am posting a Menu from a campout, I have prepared all of these, just not on the same campout.

COUNTRY BREAKFAST

1 pound bulk pork sausage

1 pound bacon, peppered

1 box dehydrated (NOT FROZEN) hash brown potatoes

1 dozen eggs

1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese

In the bottom of the Dutch Oven, crumble the pork sausage.Dice the bacon and brown with the sausare. Add hash brown potatoes, cover with water, boil until water is dissolved. Fry potato/sausage/bacon mixture until potatoes are browned. Remove the Dutch oven from the coals. Using a large spoon, make several depressions in the top of the potatoes. Crack one or two eggs in to each of the depressions. Cover the Dutch Oven. Add heat to the top to cook the eggs. When the whites are white, sprinkle cheese over the top and return the heat to the top of the Dutch Oven long enough to melt the cheese. The yolks should be liquid.

Lunch

HOT SAUSAGE AND SHRIMP JAMBALAYA

1 lb hot link sausage, cut in 1/2 in pieces

2 onions, chopped

1 cup parsley

4 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups water

1 can tomatoes

1 tsp thyme

salt to taste

2 cups rice

1 lb frozen peeled shrimp

Cook sausage and onions in large skillet until onions are clear. Add garlic and parsley. Cook until parsley is limp. Transfer to Dutch oven, add water, tomatoes, thyme and salt. Bring to boil. add rice and shrimp. Stir once, lower heat, cover, and simmer. Cook until rice is tender. Add more water if necessary.

Dinner

BLACKENED POT ROAST

3 lb. pot roast

2 tbs. oil

3 tsp. blackened spice

1 onion diced

1 tsp. garlic powder 5 6 potatoes, quartered

1 tsp. onion powder 2 C baby carrots

Sprinkle seasonings over roast and rub in. Brown roast in oil over hot coals. Add 2 cups water and diced onion. Cook for 1 hours. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook for an additional 1 hour.

Dessert

Memphis Molly

1 15-16oz can tart cherries (not pie filling)

1 15-16oz can blueberries (not pie filling)

1 smaller can crushed pineapple

1 small package of chopped walnuts

2 boxes Jiffy cake mix

Oil

Water or Milk

Add ingredients order, spread fruit and nuts in bottom of dutch oven. Mix cake mix in zip loc bag, following directions on the box. Poor cake mix in Dutch Oven, do not mix, stir, fold, or mutilate. Cook 20 -30 minutes or until "cake" is done.

Pizza is not food!

Normally I'll eat anything eatable made out of sub atomic particles, with the exceptions of balutes and fish sauce...

So, lets see, me 4 favorites

Black Coffee - a truly great veggie drink

Chocolate - another vegetable

Pecan Pie - a religious experience, more so with a side of French Vinilla ice cream, plus the hot coffee

Gapachcho - the colder the better

Favorite recipe - open a bag of Pilot Biscuts, rip off the top of a cheese squeezer pack of Jalopeno cheese, spread on biscuts and enjoy. Warm water sipped from a canteen will heighten this dinning experience...:)