Guide to Safe Scouting and wading in the Ocean

Agree with Rick, to a point. Boundaries are important. The entire flat cannot be a non-swimmer area! Even an enclosed wading area can be fraught with risks. Once one of my kids was on the way to becoming a passive victim in shallow enclosed water. Although standing depth, he wasn't finding his feet. He was in a guard's "blind spot" (although in a pool, there should never be one) and may have been noticed in another minute ... or not! Fortunately my guard training has me always scanning, and I saw him and could pull him up just as his movements were slowing. He caught his breath, and since I managed to pull up the poker face before he opened his eyes, put his feet down, and was good to go. Hurray buddy system.

Application in this context: Everyone crosses with a buddy. Plenty of lookouts, and guards set the boundary long and skinny -- so it's probably going to be the imaginary lines between them. Ropes and floats are of no consequence here, although I could see the use of a long low density rope, as a helpful indicator. (Where it goes under, you know to look out for a kid.) The number of guards determines the number who cross at a time. Although honestly, I wouldn't allow more than 10 buddy pairs total. That way the lookout isn't counting higher than 20, and everybody is more likely to keep track of everyone else.

Needless to say, a guard trained in your council might apply the rules differently according to his experience and the conditions at hand. But, if you come up short, I'm an airline ticket and room and board away! ;)

I am the father of the first Scout mentioned in TAHAWK's post,, Ian Joshua Miller. He died from fatal trauma to the brain when the saucer style sled he rode down a baby slope of a ski resort. In talking with the Scout's Safety officer they still will not "Require" helmets for sledding.

So now that we are coming up on winter I would just like to say, follow the guidelines of safe swimming, make sure the area is clear of all obstacles including fences, ski lift towers, logs and parking lots or streets. Also please have your kids wear helmets, the AMA even says a bicycle helmet is better than nothing!

Take care of our boys! (and Girls)!

I am so sorry for your loss.