VOTE; IF YOU DO NOT, PLEASE RESTRAIN YOURSELF FROM COMPLAINING.

Tomorrow is election "daze". While the reality is that nothing substantially constructive will come from it, you still should be sure to exercise your right to VOTE. Even though the gridlock will likely continue, there may be a small chance that change may begin somewhere, at least on local levels.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I vote so I can whine and complain all I want.   Stosh

Once again, instead of being able to vote FOR someone I strongly believe in, I had to vote AGAINST a party's policies I vehemently disagree with. The system is broken.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. Winston Churchill   It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the o

Tomorrow is election "daze". While the reality is that nothing substantially constructive will come from it' date=' you still should be sure to exercise your right to VOTE. Even though the gridlock will likely continue, there may be a small chance that change may begin somewhere, at least on local levels.[/quote']

Agreed, but what we really need to do is vote in primaries. We need to force parties to elect moderates, and that starts in the primaries.

While the reality is that nothing substantially constructive will come from it' date=' you still should be sure to exercise your right to VOTE.[/quote']

I personally am hoping that you are not a counselor for Citizenship in the Nation MB, or if you are, that is not how you talk to the Scouts about the importance of voting. :)

Even though the gridlock will likely continue' date=' there may be a small chance that change may begin somewhere, at least on local levels.[/quote']

On the national level especially, it would help to get some of the money out of the process.

And local elections absolutely do make a difference, if only as to how the particular town or county or school district is run. I say that as someone who has served on a school board myself, and I still campaign for candidates for the board, including in tomorrow's election.

And I already voted, on Saturday, at the county board of elections. They were only open in the morning, I think they should have been open all day, and on Sunday too. Voting should be made as convenient as possible. This idea of Tuesday elections should have gone out with the days when most people were farmers and it didn't really matter what day it was. Technically tomorrow is a holiday, but the only people I know who have the day off work for the government, and that doesn't even include teachers, since schools are open, at least around here. And one of these days, hopefully, someone will figure out a secure way of voting through the Internet. In the modern world we do many important transactions through the Internet, but the way we vote (except for the machines themselves, which in my county are electronic machines) is still stuck in the 19th century. And even in my county, the technology is really more like the 80's version of electronic. And we've been using those machines for less than 20 years, before that the voting machines were completely mechanical.

Agreed' date=' but what we really need to do is vote in primaries. We need to force parties to elect moderates, and that starts in the primaries. [/quote']

Unfortunately I think the trend is in the opposite direction. People are increasingly LESS interested in even declaring a party affiliation, which in my state is mandatory if you want to vote in a primary. In many places unaffiliated voters are a larger group than those affiliated with either of the parties (and probably in some places, both parties.) This leaves mostly the "true believers" to vote in the primaries, and that is not conducive to getting moderates nominated. (Unless you are in a state like New Jersey, which is pretty much dominated by "moderates" anyway.)

Ah yes. "moderate" "compromise."

I think a moderate decrease in government spending would be a fine compromise. Not a decrease in the rate of increase - a decrease in spending. - every year until we get back to the level at the end of Carter's term.

I hate to tell Scouts what the adults are doing for their future with the ever-increasing debt.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Based on the people who are IN office as well as the ones who are running, we seem to have decided to have our government run by stupid people. I will vote but there is not one single candidate that I like, even the ones I used to like...I don't even like them anymore. I wish there was some way to punish all of them, all of the politicians, all the parties. I can't think of a way though. I'm just angry with no way to hurt the object of my anger.

What? You're just figuring this out? How's about Representative Preston Brooks using his walking stick to beat Senator Charles Sumner almost to death on the floor of Congress in retaliation for an anti-Slavery speech on May 22, 1856. This eventually lead to the American Civil War. And what makes one think that things have gotten any better over the course of the last 150+ years?

Just remember that after all the attack ads on the TV and radio, in the news, and hundreds of robo calls, not counting the splattered all over social media, that when all the dust settles it will be only the worst of the worst scumbags this country can muster up, winning out. We have documented evidence from everyone connected to the campaigns to prove it. And we have a news media that would make Jos. Goebbels proud.

And you think the system is broken? We have a Constitution that keeps that from happening. Take that away and then the problem is solved, no system means it can't be broken.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, train up young men of moral character and dedication to the principles of the Constitution so that just maybe some future generation will do a better job of running this country than we are doing.

Stosh