Local AHG Unit no more

>> Unit throws out a boy for saying he's "gay oriented" (I interpret as SSA), Unit is in trouble. <<

I don't think this is correct. The membership change applied to BSA, not unit. If they wanted to force units to accept gay youth they would have worded it that way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really. We just will not be happy until every last one of us gay.

No 'Skip, you are not alone.   The craziest politicians are the ones who dare promote balanced views and actually make their policies and priorities known to the public. They are up for drubbing f

Irrelevant. Nothing is required.... Unit throws a boy out for talking about his boyfriend, CO says, "we don't approve of middle school boys dating," BSA will say "find another unit."

Alex, is this your prediction, or is this a statement you have seen from the BSA, and if the latter, could you please provide your source?

And what if the Scout isn't in middle school (where, I think studies would probably show, the incidence of OPENLY gay youth is probably very low) but is 17 years old? Is the BSA going to back up a CO that says it doesn't approve of 17 year olds dating? (When that would have to include both straight and gay.)

Sounds like the GSUSA is being pulled not in two ways, but three. The AHG may fill one of those niches.

From what I read in the media accounts of the contentious recent GSA convention, you have a movement to make the GSUSA more of a left-wing social justice / empowering of girls movement at the possible cost of the mission to bring girls into the outdoors; a movement that wants to restore the outdoors mission; and a conservative movement which is focusing on the current leadership's ties to Planned Parenthood and similar organizations: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/20/Girl-Scout-Membership-Plummets-Nearly-12-in-Past-Two-Years-And-Now-A-Split

The GSUSA is experiencing a significant leadership drop, per Time Magazine: "for the second straight year, both youth and adult membership in the Girl Scouts has dropped dramatically. Over the past year, the total youth members and adult volunteers declined by six percent, from 2,994,844 to 2,813,997. The past two years have seen total membership down 11.6 percent, and since 2003, when membership peaked at more than 3.8 million, total membership has plummeted 27 percent."

We might see the balkanization of the GSUSA in the future. It's possible that an organization that is flush with new recruits on its membership rolls can be more forgiving of doctrinal diversity, whereas a sense that membership is slipping may cause the leadership to enforce whatever the perceived orthodoxy is, leading to a greater splintering of the organization. I have the sense, however non-PC it may be, that women in volunteer organizations may be more likely to vote with their feet than men are. The different structure of the GSUSA (from what I understand of it) may contribute to that, and some AHG units could benefit. Hard to say.

Plus also the BSA is shiponing of girls from GSUSA as well.

With 200k venturers, perhaps 100k female, 50k of GS age, most still in their troops, others who quit long before they were old enough to venture, so lets say liberally 10k who actually quit their troop to join a crew with probably on 2k doing so last year. That would account for 1% of GSUSA's membership loss.

A falling tide grounds all boats.

From what I read in the media accounts of the contentious recent GSA convention, you have a movement to make the GSUSA more of a left-wing social justice / empowering of girls movement at the possible cost of the mission to bring girls into the outdoors; a movement that wants to restore the outdoors mission; and a conservative movement which is focusing on the current leadership's ties to Planned Parenthood and similar organizations: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/20/Girl-Scout-Membership-Plummets-Nearly-12-in-Past-Two-Years-And-Now-A-Split'>http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/20/Girl-Scout-Membership-Plummets-Nearly-12-in-Past-Two-Years-And-Now-A-Split

GSUSA ties to Planned Parenthood? That's just right-wing paranoia. The GSUSA have no ties to Planned Parenthood. Of course that hasn't stopped various right-wing wackos from starting boycotts over it and right-wing bloviators like http://www.breitbart.com complaining about it.

GSUSA CEO Kathy Cloninger confirms the partnership between Girl Scouts and Planned Parenthood.

So one somewhat out of context clip is proof? I guess it depends on your definitions of "partnership", "ties", "links" and "relationship" are.

If you define it as "doesn't deny the existence of", then yes they do.

The girl scouts (individual units, councils and national) source materials (pamphlets, videos, books, pencils, glue, etc.) from other groups and organizations to deliver aspects of the girls scout program, one of which can be Planned Parenthood. If that is having a partnership or tie than yes they do.

So if I rent a move produced by MGM to show my cub pack, does that mean the BSA has a partnership with MGM? With the movie rental agency? If my cub pack buys decorations for our pinewood derby from Diddams, does that mean the BSA has a partnership or tie to Diddams? If I use a book from the local bird watching club to teach my cub scouts a lesson about the local birds, does that mean the BSA has a relationship with the local bird watching club? What if I give a copy of the book to each cub, is there a relationship then? And if that bird watching club also sponsors a bowling team, does that mean the BSA has a relationship to or supports bowling?

Girl scouts groups (again individual units, councils and national) participate in activities (such as breast cancer walkathons, etc.) in conjunction with other groups, one of which has been Planned Parenthood. If that is a relationship or tie, then yes they do.

If my cub pack marches in the local 4th of July parade, and so does the Twinkle Toes Dance Academy, does that mean the BSA has a relationship or tie to that dance academy? Or that the BSA promotes dancing? If I take my cub den to a geology show put on by the local gem and mineral society (a totally cool show by the way), does that mean the BSA has a partnership with the local gem and mineral society? If my cub pack does a popcorn show and sale in front of the local Safeway (with the their permission of course), does that mean the BSA has a partnership with Safeway?

So maybe the GSUSA does have a relationship or partnership to Planned Parenthood, if you use those definitions. And the BSA has a relationship or partnership with every almost every hardware store, supermarket, camping store, gas station, shoe store and hobby shop in the country (Since boy scout troops purchase things from my local sporting goods store, do you think if they put up a sign that says "We are proud of our long relationship with the Boy Scouts of America" the BSA would complain?).

But when the right-wing paranoia machine talks about the "links between the GSUSA and Planned Parenthood", what they are really talking about is nonsense like: "GSUSA uses profits from cookie sales and other activities to directly fund Planned Parenthood", "the GSUSA is the tactical arm of Planned Parenthood", "Planned Parenthood is in an alliance with the girl scouts to promote lesbianism, promiscuity and abortions", "the GSUSA is in secret talks with Planned Parenthood to distribute free condoms and sex manuals to all girl scouts", "the GSUSA and Planned Parenthood are working together to promote promiscuity thereby creating clients for PP's abortion and STD services", etc.

Basically paranoia and fantasy.

NOTE: The quotes in the last paragraph are paraphrases of things I have read, not verbatim quotes. I apologize if that isn't clear in the above. I didn't want to take the time to track down all the crazy stuff or take up the space to post large blocks of quotes.

Wow, in that last paragraph are those are actual quotes from someplace? If so I'd like to get the references because those are some great quotes. Alternatively, did you just make those up and put "quotation marks" around them for emphasis?

Wow' date=' in that last paragraph are those are actual quotes from someplace? If so I'd like to get the references because those are some great quotes. Alternatively, did you just make those up and put "quotation marks" around them for emphasis?[/quote']

From Bob Morris US representitive from Indiana ®

" February 18, 2012

Members of the Republic Caucus

Dear Fellow Representatives:

This past week I was asked to sign a House Resolution recognizing the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts of America. After talking to some well-informed constituents, I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing. The Girl Scouts of America and their worldwide partner, World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), have entered into a close strategic affiliation with Planned Parenthood. You will not find evidence of this on the GSA/WAGGGS websiteâ€â€in fact, the websites of these two organizations explicitly deny funding Planned Parenthood.

Nonetheless, abundant evidence proves that the agenda of Planned Parenthood includes sexualizing young girls through the Girl Scouts, which is quickly becoming a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood instructional series and pamphlets are part of the core curriculum at GSA training seminars. Denver Auxiliary Bishop James D. Conley of Denver last year warned parents that "membership in the Girl Scouts could carry the danger of making their daughters more receptive to the pro-abortion agenda."

A Girl Scouts of America training program last year used the Planned Parenthood sex education pamphlet "Happy, Healthy, and Hot." The pamphlet instructs young girls not to think of sex as "just about vaginal or anal intercourse." "There is no right or wrong way to have sex. Just have fun, explore and be yourself!" it states. Although individual Girl Scout troops are not forced to follow this curriculum, many do. Liberal progressive troop-leaders will indoctrinate the girls in their troop according to the principles of Planned Parenthood, making Bishop Conley's warning true.

Many parents are abandoning the Girl Scouts because they promote homosexual lifestyles. In fact, the Girl Scouts education seminar girls are directed to study the example of role models. Of the fifty role models listed, only three have a briefly-mentioned religious background – all the rest are feminists, lesbians, or Communists. World Net Daily, in a May 2009 article, states that Girl Scout Troops are no longer allowed to pray or sing traditional Christmas Carols.

Boys who decide to claim a "transgender" or cross-dressing life-style are permitted to become a member of a Girl Scout troop, performing crafts with the girls and participate in overnight and camping activities – just like any real girl. The fact that the Honorary President of Girl Scouts of America is Michelle Obama, and the Obama's are radically pro-abortion and vigorously support the agenda of Planned Parenthood, should give each of us reason to pause before our individual or collective endorsement of the organization.

As members of the Indiana House of Representatives, we must be wise before we use the credibility and respect of the "Peoples' House" to extend legitimacy to a radicalized organization. The Girl Scouts of America stand in a strong tradition that reflects with fidelity the traditional values of our homes and our families. The tradition extends from coast-to-coast and back through the past one hundred years. That said, I challenge each of you to examine these matters more closely before you extend your name and your reputation to endorse a group that has been subverted in the name of liberal progressive politics and the destruction of traditional American family values.

I have two daughters who have been active in the Girl Scouts of Limberlost Council in Northeastern Indiana. Now that I am aware of the influence of Planned Parenthood within GSA and other surprisingly radical policies of GSA, my two daughters will instead become active in American Heritage Girls Little Flowers organization. In this traditional group they will learn about values and principles that will not confuse their conservative Hoosier upbringing.

I have been told that, as of today, I am the only member not supporting the Girl Scout Resolution.

I challenge each of you to examine these matters and to decide carefully whether or not to sign the resolution.

Respectfully,

Bob Morris"