Is is wrong to wear a different Council strip than is the actual Council. Our Council is merging with another Council to give us 20 Pairishes, and the New Council will be called the Louisiana Purchase Council, but I don't fill like going to the shop and buying a new shirt, or even the new patch and then have to take the old one off, and put the new one on, and keep up with the old patch for it will eventually be rare. Whoo-now that is also a tounge twister.

Thanks again.

Hello SPL T15

I hope you had a good holiday.

The "by the book" answer is that you should be wearing the council patch of your current registered council. However, as a practical matter, when councils merge, patches from the component councils are worn for years by some persons and not much is said about it. In our council, which was formed by merger in 1992, a couple of leaders still insist on wearing the old patches as a "protest" against the merger.

However, if you want to keep your old patches for value, the less worn they are, the more valuable.

Being the High Speed Low Drag SPL of Troop 15 and future Eagle Scout, you should be the first one to sprint down to the Scout Shop and get one on your freshly laundered and pressed uniform as an example to all your PL's and the rest of the troop. Good job!

DS wrote "Just out of curiousity (and a bit of experience are the guys wearing the "old" council strip in protest the same guys who never had a good word to say about the old council before the merger? "

Here a story about my protest.

I hate our CSP with Popeye on it. The creator of Popeye was from our council and we have the rights to use Popeye characters. I just can't stand the Popeye cartoons (call me wierd). So in Protest I wear non Popeye Okaw Valley CSPs. One shirt I have the old CSP with the rainbow, and on another shirt I wear the "High Adventure" OVC CSP. Any other stories like this one out there.

Purcelce, I dont have Popeye on my sleave either. I have a really old one from probably 10 years ago or older. I'm not even sure. A Scout's mom gave the shirt with the CSP to me after he quit, got Eagle, something. When I got a new shirt, I just switched the CSP instead of using the newer one that I had.

My council merged four years ago (coincidentally, with the council in which I was a Boy Scout so now my father and I are in the same council again. Well, I suppose it's not a complete coincidence, since if I had chosen to live more than one county away from where I grew up, the merger would not have reached that far.) I still see a few people with the old council patches, and I have never heard anyone say a thing about it. I was not a Scouter at the time of the merger so I missed whatever "protest" took place, I am sure there was some grousing and grumbling... in fact I caught sort of an "echo" of that a few months ago: Our district merged with another and a new name had to be chosen, and the council conducted a survey. There were a lot of votes (including by those on my troop committee who I heard talking about it) for using the name of our former council as the name for the new district, but that was beaten out by a name that is more "geographically correct" for the area covered by the new district.

I hope they've finally stopped with all the mergers in New Jersey. The number of councils went from about 20 to about 10 in less than 5 years, and my merged council has about the same number of districts that EACH council had before the merger. We're running out of new names.

"Being the High Speed Low Drag SPL of Troop 15"

What does that mean?

FOG who much do you think they'll be worth by 2011?

Do any of you beleive like I that one day all the Councils in a state will merge and you will have only one council, the State Council, I mean, it's almost like all the councils are merging?

By the way, if you guys wanna check out the new council site,it

http://www.louisianapurchasecouncil.org/

(This message has been edited by Senior_Patrol_Leader_T15)

"Being the High Speed Low Drag SPL of Troop 15"

"What does that mean? "

That's a compliment. Something that is is high speed and low drag is usually of a good design and well engineered.

"FOG who much do you think they'll be worth by 2011?"

I've paid as much as $10 for an old CSP from an extinct Council.

"FOG, the only time I've heard that used was on a tactical forum."

So? They probably borrowed it from some other part of the military since those types don't deal with drag too much. The first time that I remember hearing it was from a math professor who had been a B-58 pilot.

It makes sense in an aviation environment or a ship design world. For playing "Sneaky Feet" (you have to be old to remember sneaky feet boots) High Speed, Low Drag doesn't make a lot of sense. I did a google search and found SUSPENDERS with that designation, fer cryin' out loud.

Anything that sounds cool gets usurped and misused until no one knows what it means. A good example is "Lock and Load!"