Introduction at Eagle Board of Review

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to appropriately introduce a scout to his Eagle Board of Review? After introducing our last Eagle candidate, the District Eagle Advancement Chairman kept looking at me like he was expecting me to say more.

What all do you say?

Thanks.

I've done it once, maybe twice. I think I was pretty terse: "Good evening. It is my pleasure to present for your review Eagle candidate ____. He is a member in good standing of troop/crew ____. His current official responsibilities are ____. We held a scoutmaster conference on ____, and reviewed his Eagle application and project workbook (copies of which have been given to this board earlier) and found them to be in good order. The scoutmasters of troop ___ are proud of this young man's accomplishments. We will be downstairs while you review them and determine your recommendation."

I suspect there's all manner of variation. Moreover, each SM has his own style. What I wrote comes off more formal than it actually sounded. In our district, SM/ASM leave the room during the review. Then the scout is sent out, and we sit with the scout while they deliberate. Then we come back in with him to here their decision.

:) There are no introductions of Eagle candidates in my council. My one scout walked into the room presented himself in front of the Board, saluted and said, "My name is ____________ and I am here for my Eagle Board of Review." He held his salute to the chagrin of the Board who finally hemmed and hawed until one of them said, "Please sit down." Obviously they had no idea what to make of it. One smiled and said, "A scout salutes the flag, but not other people." To which the boy opened his scout handbook and quoted him otherwise. Those poor Board members never had a chance. After an hour of being regaled by this Scout, I realized that the Board was able to ask him 4 questions. After the first, they had to interrupt him so they could ask 2, 3 and 4.

Stosh

• Upvote 2

In the red connor wearing tan shirt and olive green bottoms stand at 5'4'' with a weight of 135 hailing from main st USA John Doe....

and in the blue cornor also in tan and green with an avgerare age of 43 and avg weight of 240 the Review board.....

Scout are you ready...

Board are you Ready

LET'S GET READY to EEEEEEAAAAAAGGGGGLLLLLLLEEEEEE

• Upvote 1

We do not have formal introductions at Eagle BOR's in our district. From what I have gathered from this forum in the past, practices regarding these things seem to vary from council to council, and sometimes from district to district within councils. If introductions are the custom in your district, qwasze's sounds pretty good. Brief and to the point. The only thing I might consider adding would be a sentence or two about the candidate's project.

Of course, since these things do vary, you may want to take the direct approach: Call up the DAC and say something like "At our last board of review you seemed to be expecting me to provide more information about the candidate. In the future I would like to be able to provide the board with what it is looking for. Can you give me some guidance?" If he is a decent guy he will appreciate it, and next time maybe you won't be getting quizzical looks that you don't know how to answer.

our Eagle boards are usually done at the same day/time as troop meetings just in a different basement. And as SM I stay until both are completed - so I like to keep it short and to the point so they can have all the time they need.

"I'd like to introduce ____________. He has completed all his requirements and is now a candidate for the rank of Eagle. I will be in the south basement if anyone needs me" I then shake the scouts hand and wish him luck.