Have you heard of a Scout Patrol that doesn't like to camp?

Well, that's what I've got right now. As the older Scouts have turned 18 and moved on to college, etc, the younger Scouts coming into my Troop "just aren't that into camping. They put camping trips on their Patrol calendar but when it comes to their Patrol meetings they realize that none of them are going. Many excuses are made as to why camping isn't fun and they'd rather see if anything else comes up. You may recall that I got two Scouts from this Patrol to agree to go camping two weekends ago. That was solely to fulfill First Class requirements and most definitely NOT because they wanted to be out camping. (They actually told me that.). The rest of their Patrol calendar for the year is hockey games, video game nights, and board games. Hiking, camping, and general Green-Bar-Billing is anathema to these youngsters. I guess this is turning into a rant but I guess I just gotta vent...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Relax. This actually means you can challenge them to plan activities that don't require adults ... Day trips, service projects, scavenger hunts around town, geocaching, etc ... I'd suggest that you ch

Tough nuts, eh? Looks like your high adventures are going to be anime conventions! Or start brainstorming ...   It sounds like these guys are willing to help others, so try to find ways to challe

Relax. This actually means you can challenge them to plan activities that don't require adults ... Day trips, service projects, scavenger hunts around town, geocaching, etc ... I'd suggest that you challenge them to arrange each activity with minimum assistance from adults and as scouts to figure out some way to couple community service or conservation with each activity.

• Upvote 1

Haha, service projects? You mean beyond a couple of hours a year for scouting for food or the bare minimum for rank advancement? ROFL. "What's in it for me?" My troop is not as bad as LaCastor's, but everything still has to be big fun trip. $240 ski trip in January (adult planned) Remember my "cave camping" trip in a cave with electricity and flushing toilets, back again this year. $60 Some Mafaking orienteering cabin campout that the adults have to do all the planning and set up for. Sounds like LaCastor's boys have already figured out how to schedule activities that don't require much adult participation.

They should find some other group to join. They don't want to be in Scouting.

:( Sadly, I think you're correct. However, if they bail on me I don't have a Troop. After sleeping on this one I have come to the following conclusion:

LeCastor, you should be happy that they are in your Troop and that they are taking advantage of the Patrol System/Method. They've planned their own activities and, even though they aren't outdoors-centric, they are going to do what they're going to do.

I can lead them horses down to the river but I can't make them drink.

Wilderness Survival ---------------------------------- > Wilderness Survival event.

We have a Patrol of older Scouts who have a wilderness survival outing on the calendar. These young men are the last of the die-hard outdoors Scouts in my Troop. They joined Scouting for the adventure and they've made that happen for themselves over the past 5-7 years. They'll go far in life; I have no doubt about that.

Relax. This actually means you can challenge them to plan activities that don't require adults ... Day trips' date=' service projects, scavenger hunts around town, geocaching, etc ... I'd suggest that you challenge them to arrange each activity with minimum assistance from adults and as scouts to figure out some way to couple community service or conservation with each activity.[/quote']

Yes, both Patrols participate frequently in service to our local food pantry and homeless shelter(s). Since they have done such a good job in the past, those institutions as us back time and time again. As for day trips, etc, I have already done those suggestions. I'm afraid the lure of Minecraft is much stronger than walking around town or geocaching.

My favorite quote from last night: "Honestly, I don't care if go or if I don't go!" LOL (Is there an emoticon for gouging your eyes out?)

No camping no camping merit badge no eagle. I would try to talk to the Cub Scout pack at work with them. Get your webelos ready for next year. Also talk to the parents of the boys if they dont want to be scouts and they dont they want a club the YMCA is there for that.

No camping no camping merit badge no eagle. I would try to talk to the Cub Scout pack at work with them. Get your webelos ready for next year. Also talk to the parents of the boys if they dont want to be scouts and they dont they want a club the YMCA is there for that.

Hey, St0ut, I totally hear you. As I mentioned above, those two young Scouts who went on the campout two weekends ago did it solely because of the camping merit badge--"collecting nights". But you and the Gipper are right. I should talk to the parents and evaluate this whole Scouting business. Our local Cub Pack is dwindling, too, but I've reached out to those Webelos three times about going on an "adventure" and having fun with the Boy Scouts. All I hear is crickets...LOL

Yes, both Patrols participate frequently in service to our local food pantry and homeless shelter(s). Since they have done such a good job in the past, those institutions as us back time and time again. As for day trips, etc, I have already done those suggestions. I'm afraid the lure of Minecraft is much stronger than walking around town or geocaching.

My favorite quote from last night: "Honestly, I don't care if go or if I don't go!" LOL (Is there an emoticon for gouging your eyes out?)

Tough nuts, eh? Looks like your high adventures are going to be anime conventions! tongue.png Or start brainstorming ...

It sounds like these guys are willing to help others, so try to find ways to challenge them in that arena. Explain that you want the boys to render Minecraft in 7D (that's 3D plus the other 4 senses). Those shelters might need some new construction, which might begin with a drive to collect tools or materials. Or maybe there's a Habitat for Humanity organization that needs help sorting supplies. (World Vision has their shipping facility near our neighborhood - it's been a great opportunity for our youth to learn about international relief work.) Talk to the health department and see if they can come for a meeting and talk about infectious diseases. (I'll give you points for super-coolness if you can find a Dr. or Nurse who came back from West Africa recently.)

As a troop. Don't go camping anymore. Instead plan 36 hour search and rescue/disaster relief drills. Employ radios, search grids, computer networking, remote sensing, etc ... Give them a "patient" for whom they must set up shelter over night once they find him. The patient can be a wireless thermometer that has to be maintained at a certain temperature.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Tough nuts, eh? Looks like your high adventures are going to be anime conventions! tongue.png Or start brainstorming ...

It sounds like these guys are willing to help others, so try to find ways to challenge them in that arena. Explain that you want the boys to render Minecraft in 7D (that's 3D plus the other 4 senses). Those shelters might need some new construction, which might begin with a drive to collect tools or materials. Or maybe there's a Habitat for Humanity organization that needs help sorting supplies. (World Vision has their shipping facility near our neighborhood - it's been a great opportunity for our youth to learn about international relief work.) Talk to the health department and see if they can come for a meeting and talk about infectious diseases. (I'll give you points for super-coolness if you can find a Dr. or Nurse who came back from West Africa recently.)

As a troop. Don't go camping anymore. Instead plan 36 hour search and rescue/disaster relief drills. Employ radios, search grids, computer networking, remote sensing, etc ... Give them a "patient" for whom they must set up shelter over night once they find him. The patient can be a wireless thermometer that has to be maintained at a certain temperature.

Good luck.

Tough nuts, indeed!

We have a 30-year veteran Ski Patroller in our Troop and he is excellent with the disaster simulations. I think we could run with this idea! Ain't da forum great?!