Whither Order of The Arrow?

<

>>

That sounds good, if the lodge will along with it.

I sat in the district lodge meeting a few months ago. I was thinking it might be worthwhile to volunteer as an adult leader.

The Lodge advisoer is a leading district volunteer, who does a lot and has rebuilt to lodge through his leadership.

However, they are really into the Indian stuff --- mdancing, button blankets and such. Personally, I consider that a waste of time, at least for me. So I'm no longer considering being a volunteer.

Personally, I think OA should be based on providing service of any kind, and drop the Indian associations.

<<

However, they are really into the Indian stuff --- mdancing, button blankets and such. Personally, I consider that a waste of time, at least for me. So I'm no longer considering being a volunteer.

Think maybe you ought to find out what the OA is all about first?

"they are really into the Indian stuff --- mdancing," this is as well a VERY big part

First, you're entitled to your opinion. Second, the purpose of the OA is service. Third, there isn't a district lodge meeting. There are chapter meetings at the district level and lodge meetings at the council level. There are chapter advisers and lodge advisers. Native American lore and traditions have been a successful part of OA since its inception.

• Downvote 1

I don't share Seattle's opinion of the Native American lore and traditions and I don't think it's reason enough not to be active. However, it does raise an interesting question of whether or not the Native American traditions are relevant to today's youth. Those traditions are 100 years old and come from a time when everything "indian" was painfully and chronologically relevant. Should the OA go a different direction and leave the Native American lore and traditions to say Venturing Crews?

LeCastor: I'm interpreting "Whither the Order of the Arrow" as meaning where is the Order headed, what's the Order's future.

JasonG: I don't disagree the Native American heritage is a big part of scouting. But the question is whether or not it _should_ be a large part of scouting.

We have had recent and recurring discussions about "sash and dash," patrols that don't want to go camping, STEM, membership decline, getting back to our roots, etc. Inherent in each discussion are a couple of simple questions, namely, is our program relevant to the youth of today? And, how much of the current behaviors are we willing to tolerate in order to keep the traditions front and center?

I think there's a really good argument to be made the Native American lore and traditions are no more relevant to youth today (on a general level) than Civil war encampments, Daniel Boone, the Lone Ranger or the Alamo. Those things will appeal to a subset of kids but won't draw kids in who are otherwise disinterested in those activities.

I do know when the JTE goal for Brotherhood Conversion is a mere 30% there's a program problem. And program problems can't be solved without taking a hard and critical look at the program.

Personally, I think OA should be based on providing service of any kind, and drop the Indian associations.

so, dont want to volunteer for service because they honor their traditions? not sure you get the concept behind OA. It almost sounds to me like you are offended by the NA "stuff", but I dont want to put words in your mouth.

I take Whether OA to mean whether or not to volunteer, a question asked and answered. Hey, if the NA stuff doesn't trip your trigger, find something that does. But it's a step up from our lodge which does neither NA or service well, but seems to focus on "spirit" generally defined as lots of screaming, strict adherence to "themes" and making sure everyone is wearing the proper t-shirt.

Ah! Ok, thanks DC. Sorry, Seattle, I guess my knowledge of "archaic literary" adverbs is sub-par. :D

Now that that's settled I can comment on the thread. When I was tapped out in 1993, I was totally swept up by the entire allure of the Order of the Arrow and all that it stood for. Since coming back to Scouting four years ago, I try to go to all of my current Lodge's ordeals, fellowships, etc. It's clear to me that those who were chosen by their peers 20-30 years ago are of a different mindset than those young whipper snappers who I see go through the ordeal today. That's probably just ME projecting my own version of "back in my day" yadda, yadda, yadda. Whether this is because of Native American mythology or not is beyond me.

My view of the OA is more about service and brotherhood than about NA traditions and ceremonies teams. That "stuff" is great and I don't see any legitimate reason to cut it out of the OA today. However, that being said, I do see where some Arrowmen could get wrapped up in the dancing, ceremonies, and regalia while neglecting their #1 priority--their home units. In that regard, Seattle does have a good point. BUT I think Seattle could do no harm by reminding Arrowmen of the founding principles of the Order of Arrow in a subtle way. No need to knock the NA traditions or those of this particular Lodge. Just a gentle nudge towards more "WWW" and less numbers-for-numbers-sake, sashes, and "button blankets."fetch?filedataid=350