Transferring from another troop

If a boy is transferring in from another troop, is it absolutely essential that they fill out the transfer form, which is signed by the SM of the troop you are leaving? Could they not just let their registration expire and join another troop? They could bring their IHR or book, which we might accept.

Why wouldn't it be prudent just to just register the boy, take his $1, get his records from the Council and be done with it. Providing troop records of a boy's advancement is not necessary in that he should have a complete record in his book, if not he gets credit for what the Council records show. One might ask as a courtesy to the boy for a copy of the boy's advancement. If the other SM doesn't provide it, it's no big deal.

So one has a boy that is transferring and the other troop refuses to provide his records. A $1 isn't too much to pay to keep the paperwork clean. If they provide their IHR (?) record or book? If he doesn't provide this, what? he gets busted back to Scout? And even if he does you might or might not accept it? Sounds like there is more going on here than just what is being expressed.

Stosh

While the transfer form is nice because it does have the leader fromt he old unit showing the advancment that has been done, it is NOT (emphasis) necessary.

As Stosh stated, the BSHB is THE (emphasis) master record that all other records; a unit's records and council's SCOUTNET records are suppose to be based upon.

I know we have a Scout in my troop, who got so ticked off with his old one, that he "burned some bridges." Luckily he was a new Scout with no rank earned, and only 2 MBs from a MB college.

It would be a extremely unscoutlike behavior for the other troop not to provide an advancement report. I would imagine council does not track some things like camping nights and time in POR. I am not aware of a specific transfer form, I thought it was just the regular youth application with the transfer bubble filled in. That's the way it worked for me in Cubs. Call your DE, non of this should be a problem.

I've never seen or heard of a transfer form. I thought you simply completed a membership application with the new troop and checked the "transfer" box and information. No action on the part of the old unit is necessary. Now I usually tell the incoming Scout the courteous thing to do is to let the outgoing SM know what his plans are. I have usually reached out to the other SM and let him know where the Scout has landed. But I don't thing anyone has every paid us that courtesy when a Scout transfers from us to another troop.

Advancement is a non-issue. We accept what ever is in completed in the Scout's handbook. The ScoutNet records will only show completed ranks. For a Scout with no handbook and no other records, the worst case is he starts over at the last completed rank which shouldn't be a big deal.

No back story. I think the dad was a little apprehensive about approaching the old SM, but I encouraged the dad to be up front. His son wanted to join our troop because that's where all his buddies were. Everyone understands that. Old SM could not have been nicer, btw. I was really asking about the form, which I had not seen used in a very long while. We called council and they said just to do the application and to not worry about the transfer form. The two troops are interesting because they are literally side-by-side in our part of town and they are huge and very old troops. Ours dates back to 1916 and theirs is just a little younger. We have 80 registered and probably get 20 to 30 on a campout. 30 is about the norm for meetings. A good 25 to 30 are in high school and are either Eagle or Life working on Eagle. Our biggest problem is keeping the kids once they get Eagle. We have a couple who come back and lemme tell you, they are worth their weight in gold.