21st Century Wood Badge a Thing of the Past

I strongly agree that WB should be a different course for Cubbing Scouters vs. Scouting Scouters. That Cubbing is critical to the survival of Scouting and, thus, just as important, can be taught in other venues. Scouters who refuse to play nicely should, after efforts to secure better behavior vis-a-vis Cubbing, made the occasion for addition by subtraction. Oddly, when there was a Cubbing WB, the openings were so few that a district was lucky to have a couple of WB-trained Cubbers. If we go back to separate courses, that error needs to be corrected. I monitored a Cub course way back when. The learners (Everyone participating is a "participant," including staff.) had a fantastic experience.

Like the two previous versions, WB3 tries to teach the Patrol Method (which includes patrol and troop youth leadership) by modeling. I believe that when adults see adults leading, as they do 95% of the time in WB3 (and saw less in WB1 and WB2), they do not always "get" that they are supposed too see, in their imagination, youth leading. Because adults not allowing youth to lead has been a problem since BP started the movement, WB should be more concrete, direct, and emphatic about what constitutes the Patrol Method and that it is required, including youth leading Boy Scout patrols and troops.

The instructions on tickets need to be clearer and that clarity should be in the directions suggested above. The current language allows subordinate goals that have no relationship to overall goals; they are not really subordinate. Based on what is allowed, tickets are not nearly as important as they were in WB1 or WB2 either as to goals or execution. Quality is needed, not quantity.

If, as is said, the Outdoor Program best meets the overall aims of Scouting, it needs more emphasis somewhere in the training offerings. We have an "introduction" and little beyond that, Even the Fieldbook is no longer advanced Scoutcraft. Even WB1 was restricted to First Class skills, although staff regularly interjected more advanced skills.. We can and should do better towards offering exciting outdoor program- if not in WB then in an Advanced Outdoor Skills course.

Running people through WB has become, at least in some councils, just another metric. "My" last WB patrol had four (of 6) members who had zero previous Scouting training and a combined five and a half months in the program in any status. But "The Course has to be filled." This follows the pattern of OA membership and advancement - meaningless numbers. Quality is important for staff and learners.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wood Badge is overrated,  in my opinion.

I would like less of a focus on the "management skills" and more of a focus on the aims and methods of Scouting. Lets teach those who were not AScouts as youth (myself included) why the partol method

I heard the same story  

I agree with Stosh, Le Castor and Tahawk all who make excellent points. My real concern is still with the new emphasis of STEM over the outdoor skills is Wood Badge in its present format even relevant anymore?

<<~~Oddly, when there was a Cubbing WB>>

There once was a Cubbing Wood Badge? Never heard of that. When, and what was the program like?

Interesting idea, although I wouldn't call such a thing Wood Badge, which ought to be reserved for Boy Scouts, in my opinion.

That would be interesting to do now for Cub Scouts. Anyone care to propose a name and/or ideas for program for such a course?

You can learn a lot about the history of Wood Badge by following this link:

http://www.woodbadge.org/history.html

And this is an official BSA publication from the late-80s:

http://www.scatacook.org/wb/wb-book-part1.pdf

As for splitting Wood Badge into Cub-specific and Boy Scout-specific, I think there's a lot of merit there. In my experience earlier this fall, many of the "learners" (sorry, TAHAWK ;)) who were fresh into Cub Scouts didn't necessarily know anything about a Boy Scout Troop. The current Wood Badge takes this all for granted and doesn't make a point to explain, in detail, all that goes on in the six day course.

Personally, I'm not worried that Wood Badge will become STEM-specific. However, there might be some aspects that touch on how to bring STEM activities--in addition to naturalist/woodcraft things--to the Scouts.

I went through WB back in 1978 and it was a walking(backpacking) course at that. When WB for the 21st Century came along I couldn't fathom sitting in an indoor classroom all day watching Power Point Presentations. As has been said Scouting is about the "Outing". The course needs to be separated again for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts and it needs to be more outdoors. I don't think it ever rained on us, but it was cold. Every time we stopped the Staff was conducting a learning session, sometimes we didn't even realize it. We quickly learned how to operate as a patrol and that the Patrol Leader needed to pay close attention at meetings with the SPL and SM because they got dumb afterwards! From all I heard about the old static course I missed out on some things, but doing the course on the move brought it's own uniqueness to it.

• Upvote 1

If you actually look deeply at the STEM Program you will see that it is about kids looking at the world around them and discovering what and how things work. This go's hand in hand with the outdoor program. Yes there are some aspects that are "inside" activities but by and by the STEM Program works best in an outdoor setting.

<<~~Oddly, when there was a Cubbing WB>>

There once was a Cubbing Wood Badge? Never heard of that. When, and what was the program like?

Interesting idea, although I wouldn't call such a thing Wood Badge, which ought to be reserved for Boy Scouts, in my opinion.

That would be interesting to do now for Cub Scouts. Anyone care to propose a name and/or ideas for program for such a course?

There were a variety of Wood Badge courses. There was Cub, Boy Scout, Professional, etc. Just like BSA now consolidating to one oath and law across programs, they decided to consolidate down into one course. It's much easier to keep up with one set of training materials than 3 or 4. I don't know if that makes it better......but it makes it easier.

There were a variety of Wood Badge courses. There was Cub, Boy Scout, Professional, etc. Just like BSA now consolidating to one oath and law across programs, they decided to consolidate down into one course. It's much easier to keep up with one set of training materials than 3 or 4. I don't know if that makes it better......but it makes it easier.

Taking the easy way out is seldom better. It's kind alike looking for the lowest common denominator. It works, but...

Stosh

I would like less of a focus on the "management skills" and more of a focus on the aims and methods of Scouting. Lets teach those who were not [in] Scouts as youth (myself included) why the patrol method works' date=' why adults don't need to hover, why uniforms can be a good thing. Also teach the adults to stay out of the program area. ;-)[/quote']

The emphasis in the third version of BSA Wood Badge is on leadership skills, and even the corporate world understands the difference and the value of good leaders. AT&T did not even use the words "leader" or "leadership" in describing successful management types until 1995 - when they hired Blanchard. One of his messages was that companies needed leaders, as opposed to "managers," because the employees they most want to keep are the most capable of leaving.

Training in the Aims and Methods is critical and should be introduced in basic training and reinforced in "other" or "advanced" training. Unfortunately, basic training often does a poor job of it, and training beyond that level is the "luck of the draw" at Baden-Powell Institute(s) or "University of Scouting" events - no official syllabus (a plus?).

Training in the Patrol Method at WB solely through modeling (That is not expressly explained to be such.) does not seem to get the Patrol method lesson across very well. Any number of beaded Scouters have explained to me that the Patrol Method does not work AND they are unable to explain to me what it is. Strong staffs "enrich" the syllabus by explaining repeatedly that "If this was a real PLC you would all be Scouts, not adults"; why the "SPL" is in charge of the formations; and generally that youth are to plan and lead the unit program.

Uniformity of dress is not even modeled at Wood Badge. Modeling uniformity in dress is made difficult by the lack of a BSA uniform, as opposed to a promoted brand of clothing.

Training in the Patrol Method at WB solely through modeling (That is not expressly explained to be such.) does not seem to get the Patrol method lesson across very well. Any number of beaded Scouters have explained to me that the Patrol Method does not work AND they are unable to explain to me what it is. Strong staffs "enrich" the syllabus by explaining repeatedly that "If this was a real PLC you would all be Scouts, not adults"; why the "SPL" is in charge of the formations; and generally that youth are to plan and lead the unit program.

Thanks, T. Since I will be the SPL at the next Wood Badge course in our council, I want to make sure that the Troop Guides and I make absolutely clear that we are all "youth". There's really no reason the Patrol System/Method can't be reinforced with a few gentle nudges here and there with the present curriculum.

Nudging the patrol method into the new WB course will probably do no more good than the patrol method approach of all the rest of this historical WB's. The trick is to take it home and use it in the troops one is serving. That has always been the disconnect and until the adults are taught servant leadership instead of general management, it won't change.

Stosh

The trick is to take it home and use it in the troops one is serving. That has always been the disconnect and until the adults are taught servant leadership instead of general management, it won't change.

Stosh

Well, maybe I'll suggest they do that! Take it home, ya'll. Use the training we're giving you to make the experience better for your Troop's patrols. What a novel idea! ;)