Just “camping�

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an interesting question, CNY. As a Scoutmaster I often wonder if the Scouts would be more inclined to participate if there were some kind of extra-camping activity involved. I know that the Tr

I pretty much agree with your son. There should be a purpose to a campout, albeit sometimes that purpose is just camping, or more specifically introducing younger scouts to patrol/troop camping. I d

You're not going to give up, are you? ( LOL )

We only went Camping...but we had lots and Lots of Fun...No Activities planned...We Found things to do..and Hardly wanted to leave on Sunday evenings because we were having so much fun..We did 2 Campouts a Month when there was a Camporee because we went to them also.

:) then it wasn't "just camping". A game with a purpose. Advancement is an excellent activity for an outing. Lash some poles together in the church basement, or make something for real out in the woods. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Stosh

YES...agreed

I would to get to the point our patrols go camping on their own. It's only since I have joined that we have encouraged the patrols to start doing things on there own.

Personally I think there needs to be a combination of "planned" activities and free time.

One thing I am seeing on our campouts that with any freetime they are sitting around playing "Magic" (the card game)

last weekend we went to a camporee that had over 550 events offered. I found the Scouts sitting around playing cards.

LeCastor - I have lived in the Syracuse ,NY area just about my entire life except for a couple of semesters in college. I have been to the Hillcourt museum at Camp Woodland mnay times.

CNY, Suggestion: Ask the boys how they could convert "magic" into a wide game. E.g., a night compass course with cards distributed at control points, camp inspection where patrols earn points that enable them to bid on cards of higher value, etc ...

While it's not all that popular in the US, one might want to do a Rogaine event that would encompass (pun intended) the whole weekend. Excellent for compass work, team building, decision making, etc. Really worth the effort to at least try.

Stosh

Or, as my troop/crew seem to call it, the "shortcut" to our next campsite. ;)

Below's a description of a "mini-rogaine" that our local orienteering club puts on ...

http://www.wpoc.org/raccoongaine2014.htm

My SM used to challenge us with similar courses. It was pretty much routine for one or two camping trips a year to involve something like this. We'd come back tired, hungry, and happy to hang around camp. I foist similar challenges on my boys to the point that they think it's a necessary evil of having me camp with them. :cool: I have since realized that not every troop does this. :confused: This summer I swapped stories with a young man -- son of my former SPL -- who moved around a lot. At one point his dad was SM/ASM and I asked how that went. He said "Okay, but he made us do a lot of orienteering ..." :D

So, start a tradition. You have no idea how far it will spread.

Personally I think there needs to be a combination of "planned" activities and free time.

One thing I am seeing on our campouts that with any freetime they are sitting around playing "Magic" (the card game)

last weekend we went to a camporee that had over 550 events offered. I found the Scouts sitting around playing cards.

We do a mix. Typically they have something organized in the morning and in the afternoon it's whatever fits within the buddy system. They like that format. It seems that an organized event just gets them going.

We had a series of campouts where it was just show up and see what happens and they mostly did play card games. And the participation started dropping. I don't know if this was the right way to handle it but I reminded the PLC that they always mention having fun and adventure as things they like about scouts, so where is it? It wasn't too hard to get them to commit to having some form of adventure, skill, excitement, challenge, or memory inducing activity at every event. Sledding, skill competitions, canoeing, a service project, dutch oven cook offs, .... The last couple of years they go on an early spring campout and build a massive wood pile on a frozen lake and light it up at night. It's the boy scout version of burning man.

I have never seen a full free time campout go well because the boys simply get bored. Sometimes the Patrols try it and wish they had planned something. But then our campouts aren't advancement sessions either, they are usually doing something a lot of fun that has them wanting to be in the sack after campfire. Thats not to say they don't have free time, I believe campouts should be at least 50% free time. If a scout wants to work on skills for advancement, that would be the time. Barry