Roundtable can be helpful if the district pays serious attention to the Cub Scouting program. But remember that Roundtable can also present itself as a sort of good-ol'-boy club and cost you in time. You'll only know the difference by taking the plunge.

And when it all seems so overbearing and burdensome, just step back and watch those boys learning and playing and having fun doing things. That will make it all worth it. The cubs are the best part of BSA.

My district does have Roundtable Meetings so I'm certainly going to the next one. So the group that chartered us is 501©(3) so if someone wanted to donate money or anything else for that matter to the unit who would it have to go through? The chartered organization or the Pack? Also' date=' how would you go about setting up an account at a local bank for the Pack since it shouldn't be in any one persons name?[/quote']

Technically the Chartering Organization (CO) owns the pack. They should be willing to set up a separate account for the pack under their tax number. An annual reporting to the CO of income/expenses is sometimes asked for by the CO, but not very often. If something should happen to the pack, the funds end up with CO as it should be. This is what we did with the new troop I just set up. My CO is a church and I made it very clear to the church board that we are just another program/ministry of their congregation. When we asked for the tax ID number, there was no issue in giving it out.

Stosh

My district does have Roundtable Meetings so I'm certainly going to the next one. So the group that chartered us is 501©(3) so if someone wanted to donate money or anything else for that matter to the unit who would it have to go through? The chartered organization or the Pack? Also' date=' how would you go about setting up an account at a local bank for the Pack since it shouldn't be in any one persons name?[/quote']

1. You can accept donations, but under BSA guidelines you may not ask for them.

2. If the donor wants to claim the donation on their tax return they must make the donation out to the chartering organization that holds the tax exempt status. The chartering organization can then pay the money out to the Pack.

3. Go to the IRS website and apply for a EIN in the Pack's name. You will receive an electronic confirmation letter which you can take to the bank and use open a checking account in the Pack's name. At this point you can put as many signers on the account as you wish. Note that this DOES NOT make you a tax exempt organization, but you are able to open a checking account. You are NOT required to file any tax returns for the Pack at this point. Your CO may or may not be interested in knowing this account has been opened.

T

1. You can accept donations' date=' but under BSA guidelines you may not ask for them. 2. If the donor wants to claim the donation on their tax return they must make the donation out to the chartering organization that holds the tax exempt status. The chartering organization can then pay the money out to the Pack. 3. Go to the IRS website and apply for a EIN in the Pack's name. You will receive an electronic confirmation letter which you can take to the bank and use open a checking account in the Pack's name. At this point you can put as many signers on the account as you wish. Note that this DOES NOT make you a tax exempt organization, but you are able to open a checking account. You are NOT required to file any tax returns for the Pack at this point. Your CO may or may not be interested in knowing this account has been opened.[/quote'] With all due respect, DO NOT just go apply for an EIN. States and Councils have different rules, CHECK WITH YOUR COUNCIL. For example the councils in MO and IL have very different requirements. Without looking it up, I think the Lewis and Clark Council in IL requires you to use the Council's EIN and just across the river in MO GSLAC requires you to use your CO, it the gets weird because GSLAC has a good chunk of southern IL. "All Scouting is local" :)

<>

Units are prohibited from SOLICITING (asking for) contributions. However, if someone offers a contribution on their own, you are free to accept it.

The idea is that BSA and especially your council have a monopoly on soliciting donations for Scouting.

Read the guidelines for fundraising for more information on what you can do and how you can do it.

Donations goes to the Charter Organization not the Pack..since the Charter Organization Owns the Unit.Your Charter Organization will advise you on how they want a Bank Account set up.

There is much skirting on Fundraising in the BSA it ain't funny..

No fund Raising at Unit Level ! ! !...Yet it is the Units that Sell Popcorn and get a Portion back based on what they sell...Not What the Council sells as a Whole...any one know of any Council that gives every Registered Unit .001 per cent of Gross Sales regardless of how much they sale? Scouts receive prizes based on what they sale..Councils give away free Ipads, Iphones to Top Sellers ..etc.etc.