Girl Scouts Debate Their Place in a Changing World

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully with these new outdoor badges the moms won't have a choice. GS to moms. Get your girls inthe wild asap

Girl Scouts were never really into the outdoor skills like the BSA was. The GSA is in trouble because of a lack of direction from the National and council leadership. The BSA with STEM is trying to re

Science with a Sparkle for the gals? That's got to be the most sexist thing I've seen in a long time. Chemistry, engineering, robotics for the boys, sparkle for the gals? Somebody would scream to h

<< The Girl Scout in question was looking a photos of her brothers and her father from the trip they took to the 1973 National Jamboree in Idaho. >>

I'm guessing that BSA is now locked into their East coast location for the jamboree by it's immense costs, and we wont see the Jamboree rtravelling anywhere else, probably forever.

... I'd bet that if BSA offere co-ed Scouting it would kill off GSUSA just as admitting Black players to the Major Leagues killed off the Negro baseball league.

Don't know. Been to a GSUSA camporee, and it was a blast. (Of course, half of the organizers/staff were venturers ... I literally could have had a crew meeting during break time. ;) ) There's a lot to be said for keeping the opposite sex out of the equation.

Certainly Girl Guides in the UK are motoring along just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know how I feel about this.

One the girl scouts dont have a CO so all funding for everything must be done via cookie sales.

How many of us have girl scout moms hawking cookies in our workplaces. this (online) is actually a astep above that (mommy doing it for me).

My daughter did do a girl scout fund raiser via the internet and she does know who ordered what and when. and allowed our out of state relatives a chance to help more easily.

I asked her how it felt to have her own web business. she looked at me and said "Dad I dont have my own business like they say its all just show."

BUT..... if she stays in GSUSA I am hoping that her love of nature will survive the marketing machine that is cookies.

• 2 weeks later...

So, daughter comes home from break and I find her, Son #2, and Mrs Q playing a feisty round of cards. Talk turns to who endured the worst childcare, who got sent to the worst church camp, who didn't get sent to any church camp, etc .... Daughter than pipes up, "Well, I couldn't be a member of the BSA for 7 years." I tried to point out that she was the one who let her membership lapse when she went to college, and she said that those weren't the years that mattered. Her childhood was spent watching me take her brothers off camping. GSUSA, you gotta step it up. Get your moms out under canvas (or less) more often in tougher conditions. Or, someone else will.

• 2 months later...
So' date=' daughter comes home from break and I find her, Son #2, and Mrs Q playing a feisty round of cards. Talk turns to who endured the worst childcare, who got sent to the worst church camp, who didn't get sent to any church camp, etc .... Daughter than pipes up, "Well, I couldn't be a member of the BSA for 7 years." I tried to point out that she was the one who let her membership lapse when she went to college, and she said that those weren't the years that mattered. Her childhood was spent watching me take her brothers off camping. GSUSA, you gotta step it up. Get your moms out under canvas (or less) more often in tougher conditions. Or, someone else will.[/quote']

Or allow the dads to.......

Can you imagine if BSA were exclusionary to say women, minorities or gays? Just like the argument that gays and pedophiles are two different things, fathers and pedophiles are two different things. Dads "can be" involved, but from a distance.