Becoming a Patrol Method Troop

It's all part of the process LeCastor, all part of the process. It is very rare that the whole unit decides to up and change. These things usually start from a visionary with skills of an Alaskan refrigerator salesman. Every troop is boy run, but only about 5% are "Boy Run". Barry

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Progress! I sent you a PM. Hope it helps.

That's great news! Shows, again, that persistence can pay off big-time. Get ready for the speed bumps and complaints from the parents the first few times things go wrong. Remember that things going

Welcome to the dark side....   Stosh

The AHA! moment came once when the Scouts were cooking breakfast. in separate patrols about 100 feet apart from any other patrol. When the Scoutmaster looked at me and simply remarked. "It's so much less chaotic then if we were all under the dining fly."

Sentinel947

This was the AHA moment for many of our Adults as well. We had conflicts on every campout ("stolen" equipment, no accountability, etc), then tried the separation camping a couple of times and the conflicts virtually disappeared. We were then forced to go back to close quarters at a BSA property (couldn't convince them to give us 4 separate campsites) and all the problems re-appeared. If there's some kind of mess in a separated Patrol campsite, there's no way they can try and pin it on someone else. It's their mess, and I'm happy to sit in my campsite and wait until they figure out how to deal with it.

As I have already commented about a number of times, a lot of the problems that come up on this forum are a result of not following directions in the first place. :) (And yes, I'm talking to the boys, too!)

Stosh

• 3 weeks later...

So I've got an update. Our troop formed patrols for the foreseeable future. The Scouts were allowed the total freedom to make patrols. Nobody was left out. The Scouts seem happy.

However, prior to that, during the PLC we experienced our first case of backlash against the Patrol method.

The former Scoutmaster decided he wanted to come in and complain about the direction of the Troop. Not to myself or the Scoutmaster, but the Scouts. Everybody was stunned, and myself and the Scoutmaster were completely caught by surprise. The Scouts were kinda crushed to have their former Scoutmaster tear down their efforts. It was completely out of line and my blood is boiling right now.

I convinced the Troop to make these changes to the Patrol Method. I studied it. I pushed it. I've trained the Scouts. If anybody has issues with it. they need to bring those issues to the Scoutmaster and I. If anything goes wrong, it's my fault.

Frustrated, but I know the Troop is on the right path going forward.

-Sentinel947

Wow. Id' suggest you write a big long email and then throw it out. It helps. But the truth is that if the current SM likes what you're doing then it doesn't matter what the former one says. There will always be someone that doesn't like change.

But, never waste a problem or an opportunity! How about asking the PLC what they thought about the former SM's talk? You'll develop trust by being loyal to your scouts. They might also talk about what they're worried about, or need help with. Also, the former SM just challenged your scouts. Let the scouts know that and they'll most likely want to prove him wrong.

There's nothing quite like a trouble maker to pull everyone else together. Use it.

Well, you really are in the big leagues now. Aside from writing and deleting a letter, I suggest you take stock of what was said. From the former SM's apprehensions, sift out real threats from hypotheticals. Have a "plan b" for the real problems. Don't sweat the hypotheticals.

Well' date=' you really are in the big leagues now. Aside from writing and deleting a letter, I suggest you take stock of what was said. From the former SM's apprehensions, sift out real threats from hypotheticals. Have a "plan b" for the real problems. Don't sweat the hypotheticals.[/quote']

The problem is I was so stunned and he rambled so hard I don't remember many specifics, just really general things.

If a troop is not using the patrol method they are not following Baden Powell's scouting program in the first place. Secondly with the onslaught of STEM rapidly replacing the basic scouting skills and outdoor activities scouting is becoming more and more a sedentary activity. A GPS is fun and has its place but a scout needs to learn how to ID their location by the stars, compass and landmarks. We as a society have become way too dependent on electronics and technology CONTROLLING our lives instead of being just another resource, and social media has become a very destructive weapon in tearing down other people. You need to have a balance in your life and scouting seems to be rapidly pulling away from the basics and essence of what made scouting great in favor of making scouting a science club. And we wonder why our membership keeps dropping?

The problem is I was so stunned and he rambled so hard I don't remember many specifics' date=' just really general things.[/quote']

Been there done that. You don't have to unpack that alone. Next campfire or cracker barrel with your PLC, you can ask them to help you identify real concerns and ways to be prepared to address them. This is a good opportunity to teach the boys how to respectfully listen, even if you disagree.

By the way, you wouldn't necessarily go through this excersize with every parent or scouter. But if a fella has put in the time as "the guy" -- even if his methods weren't "by the book" -- you want to be sure you've assimilated anything that may be important.

Yeah, I think the reason many long-term Scoutmasters never step down is because they are afraid the Troop will be drawn down a different path from their own vision, however mis-guided that vision may be. I'm a little puzzled, though, why the former Scoutmaster would be against the Patrol System/Method. Sentinel, try to recall some of the things this former SM said and run them past me/us. I'm really curious. Even if they are "general things", what is so wrong with having the Scouts lead the Troop?

Lecastor: I'm not sure if his complaints are particularly tied to the patrol method or not. When he was Scoutmaster he stopped encouraging us to use the patrol method and did away with the patrol boxes we had because "the scouts couldn't keep things in good shape."

As for what he said on Wednesday. Like I said, I can't really recall anything too specific. Stuff about Scouts quitting the troop. Stuff about our older boys not taking care of the younger guys. Stuff about whether our PLC is giving to the younger Scouts the same opportunities those Scouts received themselves.... that kind of stuff. It's not exactly what he said, but how he said it that was so off the wall.

What I think he's saying is he doesn't trust the PLC/older scouts to do the right thing. They likely won't if they don't have good support and training. I'd talk to the older scouts about this. They will make mistakes but hopefully the support is there to correct them. At least that's what I'm counting on for my troop.

Matt , +10

Little League Coach pitches Parma Nationals to area championship.

“I had to take over on the mound. None of the boys could find the plate.â€Â

Safety aside, it's their "thing" to do. Our performance is judged on how well they plan and run the program. Not fair? Hard? Take it up with Bo Pelini and Brady Hoke.