We have an existing adult leader whose YPT training expired in the past few days. He completed that training again as requested.

However, his on line training validation doesn't show that as being completed, and the recharter package I've printed out still shows that proof of completion is needed.

He tried to go back and print out the YPT certificate of completion, but hasn't been able to get back to that.

I've e-mailed my DE and District Commissioner about this, but no replies so far.

Any ideas?

Just run through the training again, it's not that big of a deal and he/she should have the answers pretty fresh in their mind. I would venture to say that this person might have exited out of program a click or two early and it didn't register as completed. In that case they couldn't get back to the certificate anyway. Maybe they have a partial completion and if they long back on it might pick up where they left off the last time. It's been a while since I took the training so I don't remember right off hand the details of the program.

Stosh

1) Make sure he has used the EXACT same name , same permutation, each time when registering for training. I had to go to the Council registrar once to discover I had THREE registrations, under different permutations of my name. Still don't know how that happened. AND.... it turned out there were four others in the Council with the same first initial and last name as me. 2) It does take some time for everything to equalize. Try again. 3) I once tried to go into My Scouting and print out a cert, but couldn't. Next day, same routine, worked fine. 4) Sometimes it is easier to retake the etraining, and the print out the cert immediately. 5) Phone call the DE. Emails get lined up and triaged as to importance....

Good for you , starting to roll up the charter early.

I have to commend the recently appointed District Commissioner for sorting out this issue. When someone moans and groans about how useless Commissioners are, remember this!

<

I think David may have more than one online training account. I used the “Training Validation†tool in the myscouting.org site to look David up by his BSA Member ID (XXXXXXXX), and that gave me one list of trainings (mostly old).

Then I did an Advanced Search by his e-mail address, and that gave me a different list of trainings, including his new YPT and Webelos Leader Specific.

I think David should associate his newer email account with his BSA Member ID, and that should merge his trainings together. One other possibility is that he may actually have more than one BSA Member ID, but let�s try associating his member ID first. I�ve attached a PDF listing the steps to associate an ID with a training account. If David, could give that a try and let me know what happens, that would be a good first step. One other thing to look into would be if David has a training account with an older e-mail address.>>

Whether the volunteer will be able to follow the directions to merge these numbers is problematic. I e-mailed hime the information.

Last Thursday, every unit in the district was encouraged to have someone present for a Roundtable devoted to the CHANGES in the on line rechartering system. The session last for 75 minutes.

And frankly, it was mostly useless. The projected display of information and examples was way too small and complex to follow with any degree of effectiveness.

Even listening and observing carefully, I learned about ZERO!

Then when I logged on the next day to begin the rechartering process (using a public computer at a library) I couldn't log on. Emails to the DE produced NOTHING, and still no reply a week later.

I tried logging on on the computer of a different library system --- and that worked.

Later I ran into the training certification issue described earlier, which had a complicated solution.

After the 75 minute session on internet rechartering, I complained about the burdensome administrative processes that BSA is increasing imposing upon volunteers. Frankly, I don't like it, and I avoid using them whenever possible.

BSA seems to think that they can impose any degree of complexity they wish upon volunteers, often for trivial reasons. Personally, I find that obnoxious and abusive.

I had a somewhat related experience last week, also relating to rechartering and to proof of YPT, that leads me to wonder why the BSA does not make things a little easier on we who volunteer our time and energy at the local level.

All of the registered adults in my troop received an email from our CC saying that she needs all of our YPT certificates (and if they are more than 2 years old as of the Dec. 31 recharter date, we need to renew our training) because they need to be attached to our charter paperwork to be submitted to council. Now, I know that I had done my two-year renewal in September 2013, and I know my certificate was attached to LAST year's charter paperwork, so the next night at a committee meeting I asked the CC whether they can just look at last year's. Nope, it doesn't work that way, they need it again. Okay, fine. So the next day I tried to sign on to the myscouting site to get my certificate from last year. Apparently I had forgotten my username, and didn't have my I.D. number with me, so I had to go through a whole rigamarole and tell the system the name of my mother-in-law's second cousin's dog (or whatever) in order to get onto the system, where I had to hunt around and figure out where the certificate was, and which certificate I should print, since I have taken YPT online multiple times. What should have taken 30 seconds took about 15 minutes, which I didn't have to spare at the time. But okay, so far it's just the usual bureaucracy of life, and it's not their fault that I hadn't written down my username and don't carry around my i.d. card.

But then I realized what I had done. I had just asked BSA National for a document, which I then have to give my CC, which she then HAS TO GIVE TO COUNCIL, where presumably it will be entered into some computer somewhere, and eventually this information will be transmitted to National. So basically I just got a document from the BSA, and print it out so someone else can give it BACK to the BSA. Isn't there an easier way to do this? (As in, easier for ME, but still not too burdensome on the BSA?) My "profile" on National's computer has the name of my council, it has my i.d. number (of which I seem to have, thankfully, only one), of course it has my real name, and it has all the records of online training I have taken. So isn't there some way that National's computer can tell council's computer that person number 12345 (whose name for verification purposes is Mr. X of Troop 123) took YPT in September 2013? And leave me out of it?

I wasn't going to regale you all with this story, but this thread prompted me to do it.

Hello NJCubScouter

Your CC is wrong.

If you YPT is current through March (I think it is, 2015) you DON'T need proof of having taken the training.

On myscouting.org, any of your unit Key 3 (like the CC) can get all the training records of the Scouters in the unit, with the dates that YPT has been taken,

If that electronic record is current, the recharter packet DOESN'T ask for YPT certificate when it prints out, and the unit doesn't need to provide the record when they turn in the recharter packet.

Your CC either isn;t informed about this (most likely) or is trying to make things easy for himself. Probably she doesn't know, since getting all those YPT certificates is a pain.

You might e-mail her and suggest she check this to save herself and everyone else trouble.