New Structure for BSA?

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/programupdates.aspx

Source to debunk whatever you heard at a "preso"

One of the "75 Volunteers" mentioned in the article was at this preso and made it clear that all the changes have yet to be "locked down". Which ones he was referring to as still "up in the air" he did not identify.

There are pilot councils still working on projects that will yet determine the final outcome and what they are currently piloting may or may not be part of the final program.

The "preso" given was the PDF file RichardB linked us to, but it also included the "latest and greatest updates" from National and the caveat that nothing is chiseled in stone as of yet.

Sounds a bit line a BSA Rosanne Rosanadana routine to me.

Stosh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A 18-20 year old doing something inappropriate with a 14-18 year old is a felony that they will need to register for annually for the rest of their lives, let a lone the PR mess it would cause for the

I understand that by extending it to Kindergarten you get to the boys before they become involved with other activities. The risk is maintaining pack level activities that are engaging to both 5 year

Sounds like the UK has a more appropriate name for that age group.   Stosh

I understand that by extending it to Kindergarten you get to the boys before they become involved with other activities. The risk is maintaining pack level activities that are engaging to both 5 year olds and to 11 year olds. I already think that packs suffer from Webelos being bored (even some bears). Some of this can be counter acted with a strong Webelos program within the dens/pack where it is fresh and new for the Webelos.

• Upvote 1
Lions sounds a bit like Squirrels. This was a section for 4-6 year olds which was piloted in Northern Ireland but was not deemed a success so was never rolled out more widely in the UK.

:) Sounds like the UK has a more appropriate name for that age group.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Maybe Lions is bad in the long run, not sure. But I get more new Kindergartners signing up then I get new 4th graders. And even if half those Lions skip the next year, someone from the other half will usually be my Tiger/Wolf Den leader (until they also burn out, but by then I have someone who joined during Wolf/Bear year to be Bear/Webelos Den Leader).

I think Lions is a mistake. It's begging to cause burn-out

From what I see, I fully agree. Kids are dropping out of Cub Scouts because it's repetitive over the years.

I'd rather see Cub Scouts go back to starting in 2nd grade.

Market it as let kids try sports first. When they are mature enough to handle the outdoors, fire, knives and fishing, then they can try Cub Scouts.

From what I see, I fully agree. Kids are dropping out of Cub Scouts because it's repetitive over the years.

I'd rather see Cub Scouts go back to starting in 2nd grade.

Market it as let kids try sports first. When they are mature enough to handle the outdoors, fire, knives and fishing, then they can try Cub Scouts.

The either drop out of cubs because of the repetativeness or they convince themselves that Boy scouts is not the same and the finish Webelos with no intention of going on.

Hopefully the new program is less repetative and less like school.

. . . [M]y son) . . . has already told me he is NOT going to do any Merit Badges like his older brother. To much work.

You could casually tell him what Merit Badges you do not want him to do. Why don't you want him to do them? Because. ^___^