Lantern – Propane vs. LED

My son’s Troop is in the process purchasing more/new equipment due to a growth spurt and stuff just wearing out.

We are looking a switching to using a Coleman lantern with a 1lb tank or getting LED lanterns.

Currently each patrol gets a 20lb. propane tank with a tree with a hose adapter to a stove and a lantern attached to the top.

The problem with these is the lantern glass breaking due to not getting the tree on correctly and the lantern falling over and letting the lantern fall over during take down.

We also ran into an issue with running out of spare mantles.

One option we are looking at is getting LED lamps for each patrol. This would mean carrying extra batteries.

I am wondering what your experience with the large LED lamps are like.

Are they any more durable or are they just as easily broken?

I see some get up to 75 hours of use on a set of batteries. Do they actually get this? We don’t want to have to replace batteries every campout.

How long are you running these lanterns? Between sunset and lights out?

Are you using the lanterns near the stove? Heat-sensitive parts may be a consideration. (The one good thing about the propane stems is the lantern stays in one place.)

Do the boys like having that much gear to lug around? Or, do they want to transition to operating much leaner?

My son’s Troop is in the process purchasing more/new equipment due to a growth spurt and stuff just wearing out.

We are looking a switching to using a Coleman lantern with a 1lb tank or getting LED lanterns.

Currently each patrol gets a 20lb. propane tank with a tree with a hose adapter to a stove and a lantern attached to the top.

The problem with these is the lantern glass breaking due to not getting the tree on correctly and the lantern falling over and letting the lantern fall over during take down.

We also ran into an issue with running out of spare mantles.

One option we are looking at is getting LED lamps for each patrol. This would mean carrying extra batteries.

I am wondering what your experience with the large LED lamps are like.

Are they any more durable or are they just as easily broken?

I see some get up to 75 hours of use on a set of batteries. Do they actually get this? We don’t want to have to replace batteries every campout.

For replacement globes, get stainless steel mesh. The scouts are pretty good about not breaking lantern globes, but I'm not personally that good at it with my own lantern. These stainless steel mesh globes are pretty good. I own the Primus version of the below. mantles are always a problem. I think the propane lanterns are the cheaper solution. I don't see why you are having problem with the trees. IMHO, lanterns on 1 lb cylinders are more likely to be broken than on the trees.

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Stainless-Steel-Lantern-Globe/dp/B000P9CZXQ

I own a lantern somewhere.... Never use it. Small flashlight is all I need. Hate the stupid head lamps. Every time a boy looks at you, it takes 5 minutes to readjust your night vision. LNT is not just garbage, but it's also garbage colors, lights and sounds. I don't think anyone appreciates the joker that shows up with a bight yellow tent, big boombox and yard light lantern in the site next to yours.

I find that without lanterns, the boys turn in earlier and get up earlier. Nothing to do in the dark. :)

Look to see which troops are staying up until midnight.... yep, the ones with the yard light lanterns. Just another example of where well-meaning adults make problems for themselves and then try and blame on the boys.

Stosh

I have a battery and a solar/crank lantern. They are small and light compared to the propane / white gas. I hardly ever use them because they are still large compared to a LED fashlight / headlamp. I would like to get a white gas one just to have but I don't really have a need.

With the headlamp and flashlight please get ones that have a red light. It will allow everyone to keep their night vision.

Go with the LED lanterns - they're safer, the batteries will last at least through a weekend campout, and you can away with much smaller lanterns. I have a "personal size" LED lantern that operates with 4 C-size batteries that's about the size of a coffee mug - it puts out enough light for all the tasks I need it for - will it light up the underside of a whole tarp? No - but then why would I want it to? I just need it to see in front of me. I can always add a couple more if I needed more light. If I hang it above me, I get more useful light that if it's just sitting on the table near me - and since their small and relatively lightweight, they can be hung pretty easily. I've also got a Coleman personal collapsible LED light that operates using AAA batteries - It throws out as much light as the bigger one. I would save the space and just not get the big ones that are the more traditional lantern size - you'll have much more flixibility with the smaller ones.

For replacement globes, get stainless steel mesh. The scouts are pretty good about not breaking lantern globes, but I'm not personally that good at it with my own lantern. These stainless steel mesh globes are pretty good. I own the Primus version of the below. mantles are always a problem. I think the propane lanterns are the cheaper solution. I don't see why you are having problem with the trees. IMHO, lanterns on 1 lb cylinders are more likely to be broken than on the trees.

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Stain.../dp/B000P9CZXQ

I really dislike lanterns when camping but getting into camp on Friday night before dark can be a challenge in the spring and fall, so having a lantern available for fixing dinner is helpful. Someone in our Troop made a set of these mesh globes years ago and they are a real money saver.

If you already have trees for propane, I'd stick with those.

when not backpacking the boys set up 1 propane lantern by the adult area. Allows us to see as boys are walking in and allows boys to know which direction to go if need an adult. Plus the adults like to have a little light but just away from us enough that the bugs stay there and not where we are relaxing. Doesn't affect bed time - boys go to tents - quiet time is announced and adults turn of lantern and get into their tents about 15 mins after the boys.

when not backpacking the boys set up 1 propane lantern by the adult area. Allows us to see as boys are walking in and allows boys to know which direction to go if need an adult. Plus the adults like to have a little light but just away from us enough that the bugs stay there and not where we are relaxing. Doesn't affect bed time - boys go to tents - quiet time is announced and adults turn of lantern and get into their tents about 15 mins after the boys.

I pretty much agree- a propane lantern or two, not set to full brightness, makes for a nice campsite. That said, I have seen camporee campsites where it seemed as bright as daylight due to the sheer volume of lanterns (i.e. 6 or 7 for a troop). That's overkill, but then again, it matches with the carport style canopies those troops tend to like.

My troop has started replacing gas lanterns with LEDs. If you haven't used any recently then give them a try. The models that have become available in the last couple of years have been a revelation. They are light weight, the light given off is far more powerful than a gas lantern and because there is no heat the globes are plastic so far more dureable. Give it a try.

Neither. Enjoy the darkness which is the outdoors, or the campfire (if allowed). If a temporary light is needed, the smallest should be used such as a flashlight or headlamp. We go to the outdoors to enjoy and experience what it has to offer, the more we invade it with indoor things, the less we get to experience it.

• Upvote 1

I'm a fan of LED. I have a small 4A battery lantern the size of a medium flashlight that puts out 50 lumens. Decent for a table top, or it can be hung from a tree to light up a conversation area without attracting bugs.

For inside my tent I have a small little globe lamp that is keychain sized that puts out 25 lumens and it lights up my 2 man tent rather pleasantly, with enough light to read. Its about an inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter. It was on an end cap at my local Bass Pro Shop. I'm trying to figure out if it is online as I want to buy at least 4 more in case I lose or damage it.

I carry a flashlight or headlamp with me for walking in the dark (if needed for safety/uneven ground), but prefer to go by moonlight whenever possible.