Two questions regarding appropriate behaviors of adult and youth leaders

Scoutnut, I hope you had the should length rubber glove for that last one.

717 is NOT earning or raising money. His boys are participating in the race. Geezus,

I think you missed your meds this morning.

Good grief! Can you never make a post without taking a rude jab at someone?

Off your meds indeed.

FYI - Yes, simply paying the registration fee to run in a "Race for the Cure" 5k is not fundraising in itself. However, every registrant gets their own fundraising website. A team gets, along with all of the individual websites, a team fundraising website. There are competitions, and awards for teams raising the most money. Every participant is "expected" (however not required) to solicit donations as the registration fee covers the costs involved in operating the race - only. None of those fees (or very little) goes toward the actual research.

There are also some races that DO require fundraising over, and above, the cost of registration. The reason being, as stated above, registration costs do not actually help fund the research. Fundraising donations do.

It was requested that I post sources. I did that.

As I stated, there is a difference between participating as an individual, or with a non-Scouting team, and participating as a BSA team.

If there is any question about a UNIT activity, it should be run by the local council. Anything that has BSA's name attached to it they can get mighty particular about.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am guessing the OP is a youth.   Smoking was the social norm until quite recently. so for the last 2000 years we have walk north america and men have smoked. Only in the last 20 years and mor

As is often the case, there is the policy and there is what people think is the policy. Tahawk was kind enough to post the actual policy that can be found at the BSA website. Note that nowhere in the

We are all held accountable for our actions in our personal lives. Those of us in Scouting take on additional rules so as to help young boys become men. Does that mean we automatically retrofit all of

Scout activities are to be tobacco-free if Scouts are present..

As for the double-entendre stuff, part of growing up is learning "appropriate" behavior. Not everyone grows up. Those that do not grow up need counseling. "Appropriate" is a social judgment. A Scout troop is not the neighborhood bar.[/font][/color]

So does your merit badge day and summer camp have designated smoking areas????? How about that smoker dad on the campout?

Smoking is still very acceptable based on your region.

No point in arguing it. Right or wrong the local intermediate school has a designated smoking area for the students.

Basementdweller, I am just curious, whereabouts in the country are you located? No judgement, I am just wondering for the sake of understanding perspectives. We moved across country almost 8 years ago and we are still kind of dealing with culture shock, even though we are almost able to understand wait staff in restaurants now.

I would add to stOut717's offering this site as well, nothing wrong with those shirts:

http://www.keep-a-breast.org/programs/i-love-boobies/

I don't drink alcohol or use tobacco...guess that makes me even more boring than I seem already...but to IM_Kathy I ask if she has ever tried to quit smoking? If not I would encourage her, for her sake and the sake of her family, to try it or try it again....and succeed. I'm pulling for you.

I had quit once for about 8 years I think. But when my PTSD (at that time undiagnosed) hit it's worse I gave into smoking again, but it was better than the alternatives given my history. And now I'm NOT allowed to quit until we can get my anti-anxiety meds lowered just so that they can raise them back up for me to try and quit. That's right my doctor does NOT want me to attempt to quit. Not many people can say that. Will I probably get cancer - probably. But will I live that long - not sure on that especially if I quit because all the anxiety, panic attacks, and night terrors do damage the heart.

One of the reasons for "racy" breast cancer t-shirts and slogans, it wasn't that long ago that any mention of breasts was considered obscene, including breast cancer (I remember reading about organizations getting prosecuted for obscenity for putting up breast cancer posters). So getting people too discuss the issue, let alone getting women to touch themselves enough to do a self exam was a real challenge. So organization have tried to make talking about breasts in multiple ways acceptable as a way to break through the taboo. Hence we get slogans like: Save a Rack, March for Melons, I Love Boobies, etc.

So given the history, I don't think wearing the t-shirts described was inappropriate.

KDD trust me don't go the benzo route. Having anxiety is no joke. And as soon as you get medically marked down as having an anxiety disorder of any kind you will NOT be allowed to attend any high adventure or jamboree with BSA.

When i was in the navy my chief had the patch. whenever he started busting on us I would look him in the eye and wave my fingers ala jedi. "Cheif do you like filtered or unfiltered?"

Since the smoking area was a 30min walk we had peace for an hour :)

PERSONAL Story

I have smoked since the age of 18, now 39. I have been in scouts for 4 years now VERY VERY active. Last year it really started to bother me when I would fall back and "HIDE" for a minute. I didn't enjoy smoking when I was with the boys and out camping but I couldn't wait till my next opportunity to smoke.

So I wanted to take WoodBadge and I knew there wasn't going to be any getting away from time to time to fill this graving. So Jan 8th I decided I wanted to quit, and with a 1 month prescription of Chantix I have now been smoke free for 10 months and I am enjoying it.

NOW on to the question, it is of MY opinion only that you SHOULD NEVER smoke in your uniform whether its with adult or kids.

I was FLOORED I tell you when I was at woodbadge and I saw a DE smoking in Uniform

• Upvote 1

I want to make a comment on the shirts - ONLY read the smoking portion.

Lets stick with small town mentality because that's where I am. We are leaders of young boys teaching them to be young men correct? If I am seen in public, at a restaurant, drinking a beer and one of my boys walked up to say Hi, well I would be devastated. Not that drinking beer is bad or should be frowned upon, I just choose not to drink period. I have stickers on my truck regarding Scouting and Camping, you will not see me cutting someone off because they will see my stickers.

Whether we are in uniform or NOT, we as leaders in our community have an image to up hold and that IMAGE is what brings boys in our doors.

I hope I answered that for you.

...So given the history' date=' I don't think wearing the t-shirts described was inappropriate. ...[/quote']

Most 11 y.o.'s don't understand the history. (That's a good thing ... they probably haven't had to attend the funeral of someone whose metastases could have been held in check via early detection.) Some simply have a visceral reaction to objectification that should give us all pause.

Of course, the purpose of this particular form of objectification is to evoke healthy behavior, so it's all couched in the framework of ends justifying means. But, is seeing that racy t-shirt on a middle school-age boy going to actually translate into self examination? Or, is it adding fuel to body-image issues by teaching women that their value to us is in conforming to the ideal figure?

• Downvote 1

Most 11 y.o.'s don't understand the history. (That's a good thing ... they probably haven't had to attend the funeral of someone whose metastases could have been held in check via early detection.) Some simply have a visceral reaction to objectification that should give us all pause.

Of course, the purpose of this particular form of objectification is to evoke healthy behavior, so it's all couched in the framework of ends justifying means. But, is seeing that racy t-shirt on a middle school-age boy going to actually translate into self examination? Or, is it adding fuel to body-image issues by teaching women that their value to us is in conforming to the ideal figure?

Did you watch the training video KDD provided :)

But more to the point. I think we can all agree it was in bad taste. but taste and morals are not the same. and the OP had linked the wearing of the tee s-shirt during a non-scout function as a moral flaw. to the ASM and a scout.