Two Troops with the Same Chartered Organization

Many years ago my CO did to accommodate the number of boys. It worked well, two SM, two nights, shared equipment, etc. Cannot remember if two Committes. Currently no CO has two Troops in my District. With falling membership in recent decades I'd be impressed if any CO could sustain two Troops. If the motivation for multiple Troops is strife... Prognosis not good. If reason is lots of boys in multiple locations... Good news and good luck!

I could see it. Once upon a time we were looking for a CO and one church likes the scouts so much they wanted us, but they really didn't have room. Some troop are more independent from the CO than others and in that case the CO is only providing space. So why not.

I met a scouter once at Fort Levensworth, KS, whose troop was chartered by some sort of officers club. When that troop got too big, they chartered another separate troop and sent half the boys there. They needed the other troop due to the number of soldiers boys who wanted to join scouting. Of course, an army base is like a small town, so several units makes sense in that setting.

I suppose a Mega Church that was into Scouting could find it useful. Once you start over 100 Scouts a troop could become a bit heavy. Imwouldnt want to be part of a troop that the SM didn't at least know everyone's name.

Ministers can retain the names of hundreds of his/her parishioners. A SM if he cared to do so could keep a handle on a couple hundred boys. :)

Stosh

A SM if he cared to do so could keep a handle on a couple hundred boys. :)

Stosh

I think this is probably true (although when you reach your 10th "Zack" or "John" I'd think your head would spin), but the SM's of the large Troops in my area clearly don't care to. I went to an Eagle COH at a large Troop once where the Scoutmaster had clearly not been camping with the Scout since he was new to the Troop, but also decided to tell a story that did not place the Scout in the best light. Cringeworthy performance.

It's also kind of fun to watch my ASM's struggle to keep track of the names of all the Scouts (and we're only at 40!).

The best one I ever experienced was my first parish where one of three churches had 65 members. Piece of cake to remember names.... Except they were Norwegian names and at first I didn't know if they were male or female names. Add to that I told them I had to memorize 65 names and they only had to learn one. So please keep introducing yourself and tell me something about you to help me remember. Well for two months this one group of people I just couldn't keep straight. A guy would introduce himself and then point out his wife. Okay. Got that but then later that lady would point out the "husband" as her brother-in-law. This confusion went on and on until one day I flat out told these people I had no idea as to who was married to whom and who belonged to what family. As it turned out 4 sisters married 2 pairs of brothers, so my brother was also my brother-in-law and his wife was also his sister-in-law. Loved it, it was the best practical joke ever pulled on me because these people had this down pat to where no one ever smiled or giggled, but were dead-pan serious throughout.

I would suggest for the larger troop, name tags! It works wonders!

If there are situations where SM's clearly don't care to learn the names of their boys, that's their loss. But I would think that would introduce a lot of problems along the way.

Stosh

Sorry for taking a few days to get back and respond.

I originally asked just to get a feel for how rare this situation is. I am currently in a unit where our CO has two troops and one pack. I know that we are unique in our council, but wasn't sure how many other situations like this there are nationally. Whenever I have explained that our CO has two troops the most common response is, "I didn't even know that was allowed".

Background:

Our CO chartered its first troop in 1941. The pack was started in 1951. Sometime in the 1970's a series of events led to them chartering a second troop. The story I have heard is that the first troop was very large, the council wanted a second troop in the area, and the CO said "We love Scouting, let us have another one", so they did.

Both troops are relatively healthy. One has about 40 scouts, the other about 30. They have very different personalities, but tend to stay out of each other's way. The only real conflict comes from both units trying to recruit from the same pack.