Official Neckerchief

What's the criteria for a neckerchief to be allowed with a uniform? Hot debate at roundtable this past week. Does it need the fleur-de-lis? or some scout insignia of some sort or can it be just a plain color? maybe a tartan?

I know it doesn't need to be triangular, it can be square.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

stosh wrote The PL's take a quick "uniform inspection" before flags and if all the boys have their neckers they all wear neckers.  If one boy forgot, they don't wear them...for the flags.     remin

Neckers don't need to match, unless you are participating in a parade or flag ceremony, then it would be nice.  "Back in the day", it was common for a patch/necker/mug/Tshirt combination would be prod

Stosh, I think that sounds like a great idea. We have solid color neckers with Troop logo, SPLs have contrasting. (Same necker, opposing color/trim). As far as I ever knew, it doesn't matter one littl

When I became a Scout, BSA had gone to a triangular neckerchief. My troop made its own - square - 33" on a side, Since then, I have seen every variatuion under the sun.

The official policy, as badly written as it is:

Boy Scout neckerchiefs are optional. The troop decides by vote, and all members abide by the decision. If the neckerchief is not worn, then the shirt is worn with open collar. Boy Scout and Boy Scout leader neckerchiefs may be worn in a variety of plain colors and contrasting borders. Those available through Supply Group include the embroidered universal Scouting emblem if perma-press, or printed if not. Troops choose their own official neckerchief.

Local councils may prescribe the specific official neckerchief to be worn by Boy Scouts and Scouters on a council or district basis.

The neckerchief is worn only with the official uniform and never with T-shirts or civilian clothing. All members of a troop wear the same color.

Special neckerchiefs, the same size as the official ones, may be authorized by local councils. Such neckerchiefs may include identification of the chartered organization. The standard designed neckerchief may be personalized with troop number, city, and state. By troop approval an Eagle may wear an Eagle neckerchief.

This leaves plenty of room for UP types to make trouble and wiggle room to fend them off.

Thanks TAHAWK, I didn't think it was required and I have never heard of anyone getting out of shape about what's on them or not on them. My boys were toying with the idea that all the neckers be a plain color and each patrol have a different surged trim color. From 20' away they all look the same but up close one could ID the patrol as well. Didn't know if that would fly, but then with the necker being optional, I'm sure no one's going to say anything. I didn't know what to advise my boys if they should happen to ask.

Stosh

The necker is the ONLY consistently Scout uniform item around the world. Scouts trade them at World Jamborees. If the Troop can't afford a "real" uniform, often you will see a colorful t-shirt with the necker. I find the proviso in the above quote about ".... worn only with the official uniform and never with T-shirts or civilian clothing. " to be wrong minded. Often, at award ceremonies, the awardee is given a necker that is draped around and over his civie suited self. And, I have seen a Troop running around (!) in "class bs" and a necker at service projects.....

What's sad is the Troop that chooses NOT to wear the necker. It's tradition of being a Scout tool is rarely celebrated (flag, bandage, sling, nose/dust mask, sweat band, ID band, neck warmer, etc. ) . The bigger ones being something the young Scout "grew into", the smaller ones are a remnant of YDLs design as a decoration and not a practical piece of clothing....

• Upvote 1

Me personally, I say GO FOR IT! But it may cause issues with some UP's and at uniform inspections.

Long story short, My son's troop has two neckers, a plain green one for when a boy joins the troop, and troop's current, stressing CURRENT (more later), green and red necker once they earn Scout rank. So my son's patrol, since it is the NSP, has boys wearing both the plain green necker, and green and red necker.

Like I said, currently they use the green and red necker from national. BUT national is going out of the Boy Scout neckerchief business I am told. So now they are looking at going the custom route.

I've suggested they go the triangle bandage route for a necker. Use the plain bandage for new folks, and then when they earn Scout, they silk screen a troop logo on it. Waiting for the next PLC to mention that to the youth.

I can't comment on the BSA rules (obviously) but I would say go for it. As SSScout says it is the only universal bit of uniform across the world. Anywhere you go if you see a group of kids with neckers on you think "scout". In the UK the kids love them and get quite tribal about them. In any given district each group has their own design which varies massively. Some are one colour, some have a boarder, some are half and half, some are tartan.

Back in my day as a venture scout my unit drew from 4 different scout troops. While it had its own design we used to cut the point of the necker from our old group necker and sew it onto the point of our new unit necker as a nod to where we had come from.

• Upvote 1

'Skip,

Long story short, in 1972 BSA made neckers an option with Boy Scout troops under themess that was the "Improved Scouting Program." Troops not only could decide which necker to wear, but also how to wear a necker, and if they wanted to wear one at all.

I am going to assume (and you know what can happen when you do that ;) ), that 1972 was also when the BSA went from properly sized neckers, to all neckers being CS sized. I know the CS sized neckers looked funny on those that did wear them still, and glad my troop used a custom made one. SO that may be one reason why many troop don't wear them over hear. Sad in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I am going to assume (and you know what can happen when you do that ;) ), that 1972 was also when the BSA went from properly sized neckers, to all neckers being CS sized. I know the CS sized neckers looked funny on those that did wear them still, and glad my troop used a custom made one. SO that may be one reason why many troop don't wear them over hear. Sad in my opinion.

The BSA-sold triangular neckerchief was made larger a few years ago. Our Scout Shop still has a couple of the older, smaller size in the Clearance section. It had been the same, tiny size when I got back in Scouting in 1981 until the up-sizing.

• Upvote 1

I handle recruiting and the orientation of new boys and families to Cub Scouts for my pack.

One of my aims is to get every boy "in uniform" promptly after joining the pack.

I do this by providing each new boy with a neckerchief and slide --- which I make.

Usually I shop for cloth at a thrift shop, buying a sheet and then cutting neckerchiefs out of it. I use different styles of sheets and different colors.

I cut neckerchiefs out of the sheets, then fold and iron them and put them folded into sandwich bags, ready for use.

For neckerchief slides, I look for tree branches of a suitable diameter and cut them to appropriate lengths with a lopper. Then I use a spade bit to drill a hole in the section of tree branch. Of course there are a wide variety of sizes, woods and texture.

Each new Cub Scout is invited to pick the neckerchief and slide that appeals to him before the awards ceremony.

For the ceremony, I invite the boy and parent to come forward, and formally introduce the new boy to the den or pack. I take the neckerchief out of the sandwich bag and show the boy that Scouts care for their uniform by keeping it neat, clean and orderly.

The parent is invited to put the neckerchief on their son, so they'll know how to do that in the future.

New boys get applause as part of their welcome to the pack.

I explain to parents that we want each boy to be "in uniform," and that the neckerchief and slide mean that the boy is in uniform when he wears it. Parents are invited to add additional uniform parts as part of their own family Scouting program. So they may want to provide a uniform blouse when a boy completes Bobcat, for Christmas, a birthday or whatever.

Most parents are glad not to be pressured to buy expensive uniforms promptly.

Boys are invited to decorate their neckerchief if they wish to do so, although few do. Personally I wear the same style neckerchief that I award to boys, and I've decorated my neckerchief with "Join Cub Scout" recruiting material.

I can cut 10-15 neckerchiefs out of a sheet that costs the pack $5 or less, and I make the slides for free. Boys seems pretty happy with what they get, especially because they can pick among various neckerchiefs and slides for ones that appeal to them.

I find this works well for my pack.

• 1 year later...

I have a question. In our troop we have several boys who have neckershifts they have earned through NYLT or other similar programs. Since these show leadership, should these boys be allowed to wear them, or stick with the troop neckershifts. It shows that they have taken a step above, but then they don't match, but when else would they wear it?

Neckers don't need to match, unless you are participating in a parade or flag ceremony, then it would be nice.  "Back in the day", it was common for a patch/necker/mug/Tshirt combination would be produced for every district/council event including summer camp and OA.  It was nice to be able to purchase the set with the same design on it.  I almost never wore my "official" BSA troop colors necker.  It was a matter of pride to be able to show where you've been and what you'd accomplished.

• Upvote 2

I have a question. In our troop we have several boys who have neckershifts they have earned through NYLT or other similar programs. Since these show leadership, should these boys be allowed to wear them, or stick with the troop neckershifts. It shows that they have taken a step above, but then they don't match, but when else would they wear it?

It depends on what they are doing and what your troop's position is on neckerchiefs. 

Most units allow Eagles to wear their blue neckers, while the other Scouts wear the troop neckers. Some troops want all Scouts to wear their troop necker when they are doing something as a troop, such as an event or going to camporee, high adventure or travelling elsewhere.

I'd have your Scout check with his Patrol Leader or SPL. They can advise him best on what your troop does.

• Upvote 1

I have had different systems over the years.

Troop 1) had troop necker, boys all required to wear it.  Honor patrol had their own necker and wore them while doing patrol activities or activities as a patrol, i.e. camporee competitions, etc.

Troop 2) had troop necker, boys  could wear that or any other earned necker they wished at any time.

Troop 3) has troop/patrol neckers (All blaze orange with patrol color trim around the edges) are encouraged to wear them at all times.

As SM I wear the troop blaze orange with white trim, my centennial jamboree at time, my WB necker, at times, and green SM tie at times.  It all depends on my mood.

• Upvote 1

Definately ask the PL or SPL.

Up date on my troop's neckerchief. Locally we cannot get neckers anymore from national unless we special order them. So when we got a new Scout in December, the SM was able to obtain one of the smaller red neckers.

So we now have 3 differents issued by the troop in use: an  all green properly sized, green and red CS sized, and all red CS sized.

The December incident gave the troop the push it needed to make a decision on the neckerchiefs. PLC after doing some research decided to go with olive drab USGI triangle bandages with an emboridered border for contrast since one of the grandmothers has an embroidery machine at the house that she can use, as well as one of the ASMs and I want to say one of the grandsons. Instead of silkscreening, they wanted a patch instead. So we went through SageVenture http://www.sageventure.com/store/and got custom  unit number and city/state in green with a tan background ( I wanted red, but I don't have a say in it ;) ) and we will be issuing them at the upcoming court of honor. We have a camporee where uniform inspection is part of the competition