Concern over ASM in another troop

I have some inside knowledge about a person volunteering in another troop. This guy has no boys in scouts, but he does have a son that he does not acknowledge or see. Not only that but this guy lost his license for a year just a couple years ago for dui, and takes multiple psychiatric medications for a slew of mental health issues, including benzos. I also know he has a history of violence toward several people none of whom went to the police. He is real trouble but the folks at this troop have no idea. I am frankly concerned over the safety of the kids involved, but I am not sure it is my place to get involved with people from a completely different troop. I really don't know how to handle this. What makes this even more complex is that I know all this because this guy was involved with my sister-in-law so whatever I might say could look like sour grapes, which it truly isn't. Should I mind my own business and wait for something to happen?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was the DUI before or after he became a scout leader?   IMHO, that's the only relevant issue you've brought up. His relationship with his son is probably very complicated, and you don't know the w

Chances are SM has already made the measure of the man.   If you know the ASM well enough to talk to him, you could ask if the COR ever questioned him of the DUI. (It should have been on the applic

A DUI is always relevant regardless of when it happened. The other stuff is just part of the same profile.

Was the DUI before or after he became a scout leader?

IMHO, that's the only relevant issue you've brought up. His relationship with his son is probably very complicated, and you don't know the whole story. The violence is just hearsay, and if they didn't go to the police with it, IMHO, it wasn't that bad. I don't think you have the whole story on him, and it would be a shame if you slandered his name without the full evidence.

• Downvote 1

I would most definitely never slander someone's name on hearsay. I think most of us who have been in scouting for awhile have had to deal with people we didn't want to deal with. I have evidence for the violence, it is significant in my mind. The DUI was a year before he joined the troop. If I thought this guy was trying to serve the community and was just a jerk, not dangerous I would mind my own business. It may be that I have no recourse..

Chances are SM has already made the measure of the man.

If you know the ASM well enough to talk to him, you could ask if the COR ever questioned him of the DUI. (It should have been on the application.) Or you could ask the COR what he thought of the DUI.

• Downvote 1
Was the DUI before or after he became a scout leader?

IMHO, that's the only relevant issue you've brought up. His relationship with his son is probably very complicated, and you don't know the whole story. The violence is just hearsay, and if they didn't go to the police with it, IMHO, it wasn't that bad. I don't think you have the whole story on him, and it would be a shame if you slandered his name without the full evidence.

While I have no personal basis to think ill of the "Assistant Scoutmaster" in question, the idea that serious violence within a family or personal relatiionship is always reported to the authorities is massively uninformed. Because, as Scouters, part of our job is to look for such things, we need to be at least somewhat informed. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvs02.pdf

While I have no personal basis to think ill of the "Assistant Scoutmaster" in question, the idea that serious violence within a family or personal relatiionship is always reported to the authorities is massively uninformed. Because, as Scouters, part of our job is to look for such things, we need to be at least somewhat informed. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvs02.pdf

My thoughts on this is that he is basing his knowledge of this man based on his sister-in-law, who has had a failed relationship with the man. I don't know them, but I do know that she is not a credible source due to that. I'd hate for him to destroy this man's reputation based on a disgruntled ex.

My view of this person is based only on my own experience with him, and my sister in law is not disgruntled at all. It was a very short time before warning lights went off for us as a family. I fully agree that domestic relationships can have a host of problems that could easily not transfer in any way to someone being able to effectively volunteer. I have no wish to discredit this person, I just want the kids to be safe. I think I have a good basis to just quietly alert people to keep a watchful eye. I have no interest in slandering anyone. People can change. Any information I would share would be 100% provable and evidence based. I think both points of view are valid and I appreciate the conversation.

My direction would depend on my relationship with the various players. I have a good working relationship with most the Scoutmasters in the immediate community and would be comfortable giving them an off-the record head's up. If you're not comfortable with that, I'd have a conversation with the Scout Executive. The SE should be trained to separate the wheat from the chaff here.

Stick with the DUI conviction, especially with the other Scoutmaster. The rest may come across as gossip. Whether or not the other troop is aware of and dealing with the DUI will let you know where they stand and if you need to go further.

A DUI is always relevant regardless of when it happened. The other stuff is just part of the same profile.

My point on that was that if it happened before he registered as a Scouter, then the council has addressed the issue. If it has happened since he became a Scouter, the council needs to deal with it.

Everything above is heresay unless the police were involved and charges filed.

I would give the other troops SM a call and let him know what you have first hand knowledge of and that is all. You may repeat what you have heard but make it very clear that you do not have first hand knowledge of it and should be taken by him with suspision.

The boys safety is all of our responsibilities

DUI's are not disqualifiers to being a scouting volunteer.

I did decide to speak with our ASE, since I know him well. I told him what I know and how I know it and what my concerns were. He took it onboard and said that he would find a time to put it out there with the scoutmaster. By the sounds of it, I am not the first person to come forward with concerns. He didn't say anything specifically but his knowing "yeah" when I explained who I was calling about said it all. We have had so many issues in our council with theft of scout funds, ASMs coming to campouts drunk, car accidents with ASMs hauling boys under the influence of narcotics (prescribed, but nonetheless). Some things cannot be legislated away but frankly, I only allow my boys to ride with certain individuals, and were I new to the group I would hope someone would be looking out for the best interests of my boys. It's a tough situation, because nobody wants to be that busybody but when you see that train bearing down..it's hard not to pull a kid from the tracks. It is that significant in my mind, and I would never forgive myself if I didn't say something. Scouting isn't a place to volunteer for a cheap vacation. I'd rather be wrong here, and hopefully I am. This guy needs to be watched.

"DUI's are not disqualifiers to being a scouting volunteer."

It is a disqualifier for THIS charter organization and I suspect others as well. Someone with that behavior is a 'hand grenade with the pin pulled' and anyone who doesn't understand that risks a very unpleasant and avoidable surprise.

• Downvote 1