Concern over ASM in another troop

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was the DUI before or after he became a scout leader?   IMHO, that's the only relevant issue you've brought up. His relationship with his son is probably very complicated, and you don't know the w

Chances are SM has already made the measure of the man.   If you know the ASM well enough to talk to him, you could ask if the COR ever questioned him of the DUI. (It should have been on the applic

A DUI is always relevant regardless of when it happened. The other stuff is just part of the same profile.

Pack I am curious. I certainly agree a relatively recent DUI is a disqualifier' date=' but how far back is OK, if any. I am 47, if I had one in my teens or early 20s would that be a disqualifier? (I didn't, but should have on a couple of occasions)[/quote']

Is a DUI a disqualifier when a leader sends in a volunteer form with the background check? I don't know.

If it's not then I guess it's up to whatever the IH of the CO is willing to tolerate.

KDD, As a practical matter Sentinel is right. It's whatever the CO decides. OTOH, IMHO someone who is convicted of DUI is likely to have engaged in this behavior prior to getting caught, perhaps many times. This is a pattern. It could be an addiction.

I think it is possible for a 20-bopper to make some stupid decisions and later in life to 'turn things around'. That would be just great for them individually and I commend them if they can do that.

On the other hand, in this case I tend to err on the side of safety. If I were the CO I would disqualify someone until they convinced me that they have changed. And when it comes to substance abuse and the powerful pattern of deception associated with it, I don't convince easily.

So my answer is: It's whatever the CO decides but if it's me, there is no expiration date.

You guys are lucky to have a nice tidy clean law abiding parent pool to draw you ASM's from

I cannot tell you how many adult apps I have handed out only to never see scout or parent again because the community I serve have criminal records.

My understanding as explained to me by my DE is the only two disqualifiers are Violence and Sex crimes. the rest is up to the tolerance of the CO.

So two of my three ASM's have had some run in's with the law at some point in their life. One losing a drivers license for a period of time. Both were approved by the council.

• Upvote 1

I think there should be some discretion certainly, especially in the case of crimes that happened years ago, and depending on severity. I would feel uncomfortable knowing someone with a recent DUI was carting my kids around. I also mentioned before in our council we have a couple of guys on pain meds on disability. I don't feel very comfortable with them driving my kids around either, even though their meds are perfectly legal(not sure on the rules regarding the pain meds while driving). When you approach someone and they literally stand there slack jawed and blank eyed with delayed responses if any you know they are in no position to deal with kids, especially behind the wheel.

How many out there on allergy medication.... read the label on that stuff sometime.

And how about the guy who got rapped upside the head with a cast iron fry pan by his wife for spending too much time in Scouting. Is he in any condition to drive?

Stosh