Looking into a down sleeping bag for backpacking. The lighter weight and smaller packing size over synthetics is appealing to me, the higher price point does not. I'm planning to take it to Philmont as well as use it for summer backpacking. I was wondering what suggestions anybody had for bags.

So to summarize my questions are as follows.

If you use a down sleeping bag while backpacking which one is it?

What is the minimum temperature a sleeping bag should be for Philmont? Could I get away with a 40-45 degree bag? Or would that not be heavy enough for in the mountains?

How much money would I be in for?

-Thanks,

Sentinel947

First of all, a wet down bag is really, really heavy and will take a week to dry out. If you get that bag wet the first day out, you're screwed, big time. Seriously... if I had a down bag that cost $1000 and it got wet the first day out on a 10 day trek, It would be left along the trail somewhere.

I took a wool blanket, laid out my pad, put the nylon tent fly down then the blanket, rolled myself up in it and did really well. Tossed my nylon poncho over me when it rained. It had plenty of layers to peel off when it was too warm. When my feet got cold, I put another pair of wool socks on. The nylon fly and poncho dried out rather quickly and if I hung the blanket over my pack it dried out on the trail. It never got wet enough to have to dry it for more than an hour on the trail.

A lot has to do with how much comfort one needs to have for the trek. I personally can get by with a lot less than many of my peers, but then again, I'm too lazy to drag any more than I absolutely have to along on a camping trip/trek of any sort.

Personally, I never would buy a down sleeping bag.

Stosh

I own a 3 pound synthetic bag, but I'm debating getting a smaller lighter bag. I've never got a bag wet in the weather in the 10 years I've been camping. JBlake, I've debated the wool blanket route for some shorter treks in the summer, but I doubt the viability in a place like philmont. Maybe if I got a thick enough blanket, but the goal is to get a smaller and lighter pack.

If one reads my comment carefully, the trick is not just the wool blanket, it's the combo of the wool and nylon. Nylon offers very little weight, yet does a fair job of holding out moisture and definitely wind. The blanket is the insulation part, kind of like a lined nylon jacket idea, but one can separate the two as need for layering. One really doesn't need a thicker blanket. The second poncho (also nylon) works as the "tent" water protection.

There was one night that it got a wee bit cold in the thin air of Philmont, but I just put on a sweater, another pair of wool socks, long pants and the absolutely necessary wool stocking cap! That solved that problem. The stupid hat will do better for you than a thicker blanket.

Stosh

... First of all' date=' a wet down bag is really, really heavy and will take a week to dry out. If you get that bag wet the first day out, you're screwed, big time. Seriously... if I had a down bag that cost $1000 and it got wet the first day out on a 10 day trek, It would be left along the trail somewhere. ...[/quote']

Never been to Philmont, but I've seen absorbent bags left along the trail. Not a pretty sight. :(

I've hauled a wet bag for a day. Not fun. Fortunately it was toward the end of the hike, so the food weight was less.

A 40 degree bag is not warm enough for Philmont. It can get down to freezing. It depends on the time of year as well. June in the Rockies is still frost point season.

I got a fantastic deal on a down Marmot 28 degree bag and it's great for summer backpacking where I live. It's a quarter the size of synthetic bags and I'm into light weight. People used to be proud to carry 60 pounds and I now push for 30 for 4 days. I can hike further and feel better with a lighter pack and that means everything has to be smaller. Granted, the scouts can't afford down but they manage considering they make everything else smaller.

Yes, down bags are no good wet, so I don't let mine get wet. I watch where I put my tent and don't pull out my bag until it's time to get into it. I've never had a wet sleeping bag and in the summer, even if I did, I could figure out how to stay warm.

I've got a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag and love it. It weights 2 pounds and stuffs down to 6 inches by 4 inches. It's never been wet because it is in its stuff sack and in my pack which is covered with a silnylon cover if it is raining. Nonetheless, the newer bags have down that is treated with something that makes it water resistant. I got mine at an end of the season sale. There are lots of good websites that give 20% off coupons.