Quest for Merit Badge Counselor training

I have been told in this forum that there is merit badge counselor training that is required. Tonight I went down to the district training and told them I wanted to take the merit badge counselor training. The guy over training himself told me there was no such thing as merit badge counselor training- since merit badge counselors should be experts on their subjects. (Gotta laugh at that, since I know the scout leader made himself merit badge counselor of several eagle required badges, simply because that was easier than finding a counselor.) I told him I wanted to be trained in the counseling aspect, not the badge subject matter and that I'd heard there was merit badge counseling. He then told me that if there was such a thing, it would be offered next training. Is there any such thing as merit badge counselor training? Is there some link, showing there is such a thing?

There is such a thing - at least they do it in my District. It's not in the subject matter, but more about the "how to be" a Merit Badge Counselor. I don't know for sure if it's "required" or anything like that. You do have to submit a "new" Adult application. The scouting.org page "Guide for Merit Badge Counselors" says "You may wish to seek additional training from your local council/district on local policies and procedures for merit badge counselors." So the inclusion of "may" indicates to me no such "additional training" is required. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/GuideforMeritBadgeCounselors/MBCounselorGuide.aspx

Yes, it is required. The training ppt is here: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/advancement/Merit_Badge_Counselor/The_Essentials.ppt. The District should manage the MBC List that is reviewed/re-chartered each year. Code 42 is the Training Code for the MBC. It will show-up in my.scouting.org as part of your training record. The MBC is a District position that requires an Adult Application and YPT. There are no fees to register.

Yes' date=' it is required. The training ppt is here: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/advancement/Merit_Badge_Counselor/The_Essentials.ppt. The District should manage the MBC List that is reviewed/re-chartered each year. Code 42 is the Training Code for the MBC. It will show-up in my.scouting.org as part of your training record. The MBC is a District position that requires an Adult Application and YPT. There are no fees to register.[/quote']

This has come up before for me.

I am a MBC in two councils. Seven of eight district chairs believe the training (except for required YPT) is "recommended," as does the B.S.A. Learning Delivery Team. B.S.A.'s website regards this http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/ GuideforMeritBadgeCounselors/MBCounselorGuide.aspx as traijning and says you "may wish" to take additional training.

Seems pretty clear to me, at least in my councils.

Not to say that someone, soemwhere, sometime didn't say it was required. .

I was under the impression that it was required, but I really don't know for sure. It's listed on my scouting.org training as follows:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]D76[/TD]

[TD]Merit Badge Counselor Orientation[/TD]

[TD]10/30/2010[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It was basically just a one-hour overview of the Merit Badge process, and was given as a session at our council's University of Scouting. Since I thought it was required, I took it.

It does make sense that it shouldn't be required, though. Or if it is, there really ought to be an online version available. In my opinion, the Merit Badge program works best if most of the counselors are "outside experts" in some field, and those people could very well not be connected with scouting in any other way. So asking them to come to some kind of BSA training event is probably asking a bit much. Someone sitting down with them for a half hour and explaining how the merit badge program works is really all that's required.

Thanks. I don't care whether extra training is required or not. I'd like it, so I know how I'm supposed to do this. The rules say one thing, but the scoutmaster asks for another and I don't know! The trainer guy the other night explained to me that the rules change for each chartering organization, so if the chartering organization wants to do merit badges one way (different from the rules), you go along, but might point out what the rules actually say.

NO - rules do NOT change for each Chartering Organization. They may add their own rules, and do things their with their own spin on it, but the BASIC RULES, REGULATIONS, and POLICIES, of BSA can NOT be changed!

That is something that they agree to when they sign the annual charter agreement.

NO - rules do NOT change for each Chartering Organization. They may add their own rules, and do things their with their own spin on it, but the BASIC RULES, REGULATIONS, and POLICIES, of BSA can NOT be changed!

That is something that they agree to when they sign the annual charter agreement.

That's what I thought, too.

That's what I thought, too.

Chartering Orgs can be more strict than BSA on certain things - finances, two-deep in meetings, etc. But the PROGRAM of Boy Scouts is to be provided to the boys As-Is. Take a look at the LDS Scouting Handbook. It's supplemental in nature, not primary. It's more strict in some areas, provides clarification of who oversees the troop's activities, etc. but NEVER overrules the program materials provided by BSA. The Scoutmaster Handbook is the same for every single unit. The 7 aspects of a troop meeting are the same, regardless of who charters the troop.

Christineka, perhaps you could check with your surrounding districts and see if they offer the training?

If your council offers training events check those too. I would also check your LDS guide to see if there is any additional requirements LDS expects that we non-LDS folk don't know about.

Or better yet, print out the link TAHAWK provided, give it to your district training chair and let him know that you want the Merit Badge Orientation training. Can he make it happen?

Keep up the good work. I can tell by your posts that your instincts are good.

I would think that if the course and code are offered for the training that you should take it. The more you know the better the program, event, outing, merit badge and experince will be. If you don't beleive in that. Well, you should hand out the Eagle Rank right after the Scout gets his Bobcat.