Bobcat requirements

We had two new boys join our den this year, as Wolves. I know they have to do their bobcat before they can advance, but can they still start working on other things in the meantime. We have a den meeting scheduled with all the boys to start on their wolf achievements. Is that okay for the new boys to do that with everyone else?

Yes they can start working on the achievments. You want to incorporate them into the den activities. If not they will fall behind on those and you will be playing catch up. That being said, I know that the software we use will not mark an achievement complete until they have you bobcat. We had a scout that joined as a Web he earned the activity pin but he did not show up on the report until his bobcat was completed. I never looked to see if this was actual BSA policy or just how the software worked.

Bobcat as a Web was odd because we were trying to teach the other scouts the boy scout stuff while he needed to learn both so it was confusing for him. I imaging with a wolf you will be doing refreshers with the existing scouts it will be easy to incorporate.

The Cubs can work on everything - Bobcat - Wolf Achievements - Wolf Electives - all at the same time.

The boys can not be AWARDED their Wolf badge until AFTER they have been awarded their Bobcat. They also can not be AWARDED any Elective beads until after they have been awarded their Wolf badge.

Usually the scenario goes like this - At the 1st/2nd Pack meeting of the school year (Sept/Oct) new Cubs are awarded their Bobcat badge. After receiving their Bobcat, they are then immediately awarded their Progress Toward Ranks emblem, and any Achievement beads earned so far. When the Cub has completed all of the Achievements needed, he is awarded his rank award (Wolf in your case). Immediately after presenting him his rank award, he is awarded all Elective beads he has earned to date. He continues to earn, and be presented, Elective beads until the end of the school year.

At the end of the school year he graduates up to the next Cub level (Bear for your guys).

Bobcat requirements are easy enough to include (and should always be included) in every den meeting.

The Cub Scout Sign should be used all of the time to get the attention of your den. To signal the start of a new activity.

The Promise, Law, and Salute, can be used at every den opening ceremony. The Motto, and Handshake can also be used during openings, however, I prefered using them as part of the den closing ceremony.

The meaning of Webelos can be discussed at your first den meaning. It might be interesting to see how many of your Scouts remember what it means!

Repetition helps everyone (all leaders and Scouts) to remember.

The only Bobcat Achievement that you will have to wait on is the parent sign off on the child protection booklet. Some parents are VERY reluctant to discuss these things with their children - unfortunately.