WEBLOS Den Patrols

I have and idea I want to run by you guys please feel free to call me crazy or tell me I am just wrong or a nut job that is what I love about these forms nobody is within arms reach.

This year I am taking over the WEBLOS Den both one and two and I am thinking of using the patrol method. and this how I am going to implement it

Divide the kids up in to two patrols making sure to distribute the WEBLOS 2 guys I only have two.

Have them elect a patrol leader

Have the patrol leader pic and assistant patrol leader

The Patrol leader is going to work with his patrol to tell me what elective badges they want to earn

the Patrol leader is going to be in charge on the camp-out of his patrol

The only thing that has me really worried is the parents I need them to back off and let there kids fail

Your thoughts ?

You have 2 Web II, but how many Web I scouts?

If you wish to move towards the patrol-method, you might want to consider a couple of options here.

Let the boys decide who's going to be in each den/patrol. If you force the 2 Web II boys into two different groups, and they are best buddies, you will alienate their loyalties to the groups. Their loyalty to each other will benefit neither group. And if elected PL of the two dens, their loyalty to each other will keep them from being functional as PL's.

If having both Web II in one den/patrol will disrupt the development/functionality of the other, then maybe just keep with the program as is and not worry about den/patrols.

We're operating on very little background on these boys, but the idea you are floating out there is good, but your individual circumstances will dictate whether it will work or not for you in your situation.

Stosh

Never hurts to try. Your combination of boys might just love it. If not, try something else and keep trying until whatever it is you do for your boys, they benefit from it.

It's all for the boys~!

Stosh

It's a good idea, especially with only 2 Webelos II's. Since you're new, you may have a tougher time with "trust" from the parents. You might do well to have a parent-only meeting to discuss what you want to do and why. It might also be worthwhile taking the Cubmaster out to lunch or coffee and getting his/her backing for the plan.

Honestly, the ideas are reasonable, but this is not really new. You’re just borrowing Boy Scout terminology (Patrol and Patrol Leader) to replace the existing Cub Scout terms (Den and Denner). The only thing that is really outside of the box, is having an Assistant Denner. You may giving the Patrol Leader a bit more rope than he is used to; make sure he wants it and doesn't hang himself :-)

I like the idea in theory, but the caveats mentioned above should be watched: pal loyalty, age difference, the pins they want to work on and the ones they need to earn for their time in Cubs... The Web2s will want pins to complete their AoL that the Web1s don't need, might mean some diplomacy and scheduling creativity. And don't forget that the BSA terminology is still "Den", not "Patrol".

If you had a bunch of Web2s , and only one or two Web1s, would you want to mix'em up like that? Ummmm, why not?

I guess if our GGparents could operate in a one room school, multiple grades, we can operate a multiple Web Den!

guys thanks for all the input I talked to cub master his son is also in my den and he up for it. I am thinking I am going to let the kids divide them selves in to patrols and have them elect a patrol leader who will tell me what they want to work on I am going to suggest that they work on webelos and aol requirements first then go for the fun stuff I even want to give the kids a chance to lead some of the den meetings I think this is ether going to be fun or blow up in my face not sure witch

thanks for your help

Mattman578,

One of the ways to "share the leadership" is to have the "PL" taking care of the boys in the "patrol" but then have the PL assign an (EDGE teaching) opportunity to each of the boys over the course of the meetings ("Instructor" POR).

Basically what you can focus on is not functionality or even success with the project, but somewhat of an orientation to the Patrol-Method of scouting. Each boy has responsibility to the group, and stuff like that. Don't worry about having the den perform as a patrol. Heck, there are a lot of troops out there that haven't figured that out yet.

Stosh

You have a nice idea but think carefully about

the Patrol leader is going to be in charge on the camp-out of his patrol

I'm not sure what that means. Everyone needs to know what you mean, including the scouts and the parents. If the parents don't buy in then they won't back off. If the boy doesn't understand what is his responsibility vs yours then you'll either end up with a leader in name only (he backs off to the point of doing nothing) or you'll have a whinny kid that doesn't want to play your game.

What decisions are his? Think of the worst decision he can make and then decide if you're ok with him making that. Their first decision will be to pick a leader. You have no choice in this so you will likely get the highest energy, and possibly least focused, kid out of the group. If he's responsible for getting everyone to cook together, and they decide they want pancakes and bacon, what happens whey they start arguing about whose turn it is to cook the bacon, with a pan full of hot grease? Also, be prepared for burnt on the outside and raw on the inside pancakes.

If you're realistic with their abilities this could be a great learning opportunity.