2003 Thorns And Roses

I really do want to wish everyone Joy and Peace this holiday time of the year. We will be spending a very quiet Christmas here in PA. No big plans to go anywhere or do anything. Mass on Christmas Eve a few phone calls to the kin in Ireland and England on Christmas Day and lunch at Seven Springs.

Over the holiday I will take the time to reflect back on 2003, looking at what worked and what didn't. The good times and the not so good. It will be our last Christmas in this house, soon we will be lost in the hustle of moving. No sooner will we get that done then we are off to Ireland looking for a small house. We had hoped to retire to the farm but the darn thing has started to pay its way, so we are house hunting again. There isn't going to be a lot of time for Scouting next year.

This year was busy, my first as District Chair and my first time out as a Wood Badge course director.I will take the time over the holiday to give this all some thought and will let you know what I come up with.

Eamonn

2003 Thorns and roses - a good post to reflect upon for the new year!

Troop and Scout thorns & roses-

We lost a wonderful and dedicated scouter to a brain tumor this spring - Scot Mansfield was a true 'gift' to the boys in our troop; always able to relate to them, a true friend and mentor to so many. Taken long before we were ready to let him go, he's flying with the Eagles now! Scot, you are always with us on every campout and event - we miss you tremendously, friend!

We had a hazing incident at camp that we thought was a 'thorn' but that turned out to be a 'rose'! the problems were not that serious, but gave both the leadership and the boys a much needed 'wake up' call, and the troop is tighter and stronger for the challenges they faced.

A rose - we got a new SM for the troop that is a true gem - one who puts the BOYS first and guides with a strong hand and good heart.

A rose: In Scot's memory, the boys have started an annual campout in Scot's honor. Participation in the campout has to be EARNED by participation in specific activities that were Scot's particular favorites - Astronomy, Pioneering, nature and wilderness skills, among others. This annual event will help keep Scot's legacy alive for new and old scouts alike.

Personal?

thorns - being unemployed for almost a year should qualify....

Roses - because I wasn't working anyway, I drove my mom and son down to Florida to see my mom's sister. Since they are both in their 80's, and both my dad and uncle have died since they last saw each other, this was something I could do for my mom that was priceless to her.

Roses - unemployment means I had the time to finish LOTS of unfinished home improvement projects! Painting, drywall, plumbing, electrical, refinishing - If I can't get a job in lending, I can always hire out as a handy-woman!

laura

Scouting thorns

We lost an ASM. He was 2 months younger than my son.

My unit's membership. Down right now.

Scouting Roses

I received the Silver Beaver this year.

Able to attend my council's Eagle Dinner and be a sponsor.

Personal thorns

My mom's eyesight continues to deteriate.

Personal Roses

Being the girls basketball booster president.

My son's grades in college. He has been on the dean's list every quarter and he is a junior.

My daughter's grades in high school. She has been on the high honor roles her junior & senior years.

My loving wife.

Ed Mori

A blessed Christmas to all!

1 Peter 4:10

Scouts:

Thorns - One unit will not recharter due to membership. Another Troop lost 8 boys due to military transfers yet it gained 14.

One troop is on the ropes with it's adult leadership. Again this is due to military transfers.

Roses - Went to Philmont.

Saw all 12 Webelos from the base Pack, cross over to the base Troops.

Got Commish of the year from the District.

Personal

Thorns - Work related stuff.

Roses - Got engaged, went to Disney World.

Scouts:

Roses: We started a new troop here, the old one had pretty much died out. New SM, 2 ASMs, full committee, excited CO. Troop is picking up new scouts.

So,...

I decided to see if I could help the pack. It pretty much died out last year also. It quit having meetings in Feb. Now: new CM, CC and full committee. Went to the Lions club and got them fired up about supporting the cubs. Future looks pretty good here, Lord willing!

Thorns:

Hassles with getting the word out. I know you have to let it grow, but I'm impatient, I want to see boys and parents involved in this great lifestyle that is Scouting.

Personal:

Thorns: If I listed them all, you would all be crying. It's been a rough year!

Roses:

God still loves me!

Merry Christmas

Big Dog

Troop Thorns - Had two committee members disagree with our policies and program and started their own troop, and took 5 scouts with them. (I understand they are having a world of trouble)

Saw 7 scouts graduate from High School. What a loss of leadership in one fell swoop

Roses - The 14 scouts we are left with are all very active and into this Scouting thing!

Had a great summer camp and High Adventure trip and two very successful fundraisers

Our younger leaders are taking over to fill the void. It's great to see!

Presented two Eagle awards

We have an estimated 10 Webeloes joining us in February! THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!!

Have a great 2004!!

DALE

Scouting thorns:

- Lost interests in scouting because of troop's CC.

- Lost confidence in SM because of his lack of concerns for the safety of the boys.

- Troop is still struggling, trying to find its identity.

Scouting roses:

- Got a lot of words of encouragement from fellow Scouters from this forum when I was at my lowest for scouting!

- CC was asked to leave the troop and things are starting to get better.

- SM is resigning after March. Things will definitely be better for the boys.

- Taught troop's first JLT and it was great to see those eager faces...again!

- Taught Scoutmaster Specifics and OLST. Together with the JLT, made me realize that what little that I do, counts!

- My son, who was only a Webelos about 11 months ago, is now a First Class Scout. My pride grew big at the COH!

- Seeing, our troop functioned on their own at a campout for the first time, a great feeling. They have a long way to go, but a baby step, nevertheless.

- Finally, I'm back into the Scouting thing!

Personal rose:

- Finally, got chance to take my loving wife of 14 years to Hawaii!

Cheers,

1Hour

:)

Thorns, Roses, and all in between

We moved again. We still have things in boxes from several moves before. I am not always sure where things are located. Our house did sell for a nice price. We were able to find another house that was beyond our means but my wife put together a package and now it is all ours. We enjoyed a great early Christmas with our in-laws here.

I painted our last house inside and out. It took a long time and there were some unexpected difficulties. I usually find painting enjoyable. It is an activity that I find relief in and little outside interference.

I have uncovered many rocks, small and large, in our new backyard. I just completed my first rock stairway with porch. I am expecting to continue with several more projects because I have a great resource, but also, I can mow without incident.

I have been unable to reconnect with Scouting since moving the first time. I am presently looking for a one hour a week Scouting job. This forum is as close as I can get right now.

My wife and I are raising a two-year old that is into many different things and causes occasional irritation. The two-year old is also raising both of us. He remains a daily shining light. We consistently find new and better things to do. He handed me nails yesterday. Our discussion centered on shiny and rusty. We were installing molding. One of my positions on the floor afforded him the opportunity to climb on my back. He is still fairly light and I found hammering a little more difficult but we managed to complete the job.

We will have another in January. My wife and our new son are healthy to this point.

My real job is taking my extra time and the job has changed from assisting people to entering data about assisting people, which leaves little time for the former. I have put in for a transfer and sent out resumes. The resolution to this problem remains a mystery. It may mean that we pack up and move again, leaving for yet another adventure.

Fuzzy Bear

Thorns -

No1 ASL very ill and now left the state

No2 ASL not yet finished training

No3 ASL very busy and cannot attend much

self tired and floundering

lost our travelling mascot (and all its gear - 18 months worth)

Parent committee floundering

Roses -

Great four day camp / JLT style mid year

camped every month except Christmass period

Troop doubled in numbers

started another patrol

Troop Council PLC is going well

Scouts enjoying a MB exchange with Red Feather

fund raising is going well

Personal - business increasing, family well and happy, health dropping slowly (age?), good mates growing in number

Not sure if I ought to start with the good the bad or the ugly??

THORNS:

Not making Quality District.

More about that later.

Selecting the wrong guy as District Commish.

The Field Director.

Hearing that my old troop was closed.

OJ not doing anything to start his Eagle Scout project.

Dark thoughts about quitting this game.

Not getting a District Web Page off the ground.

Not getting a District Venturing meeting off the ground.

Loss of faith in this organization.

More about that later.

That list is entirely too long.

ROSES:

NE-IV-153. A really good course.

The Staff of the course.One person in particular. A Lady who over the years I had clashed with and it was a well known fact that we didn't see eye to eye. She was great. It only took me ten years to work it out.

Attendance at District events went through the roof. Camporees were down to less then 50 Scouts but thanks to some help from you all in these forums we managed to put together a really good program and we have gone up to almost 200. Many thanks to Mike F.

Being invited to serve on the Regional Committee to organize area 4 World Jamboree troops.

My selection as Scoutmaster for the 2005 National Jamboree.

Making most of our goals towards Quality District. I have a great committee.

Our DE. She is the best.

Time spend with the youth members.

Growth in Boy Scout and Venturing membership.

Acting as master of ceremonies for the Council Recognition Dinner.

The worried look on the Field Director while I was the master of ceremonies.

Fighting for the job of the Assistant Scout Exec. And keeping him in the council. While I didn't win I didn't lose???

The participants at all of the training's that I attended. All of them seemed to want to learn how to do it right. If only I could work out what happens when they get back to their home unit??

So many smiles and at times laughter that was painful.

Eamonn

Scouting Thorns:

-Decrepit troop program aptly described as "overgrown Cub Scout pack" (no offense Cubbers).

-Living geographically outside of council and away from troop.

-Chapter suffers minimal involvement.

-Troubles between program director and camp director at camp.

-Poor lodge ceremony program.

-New camp director with yet another in 2004.

-First year without being OA ceremonialist.

Scouting Roses:

-Three ASM's completing Wood Badge training.

-Patrol method more in use.

-New scoutmaster understands the roles of adult vs. youth leaders.

-Energized pack program after Webelos camp.

-Good camp staff cameraderie.

-Great camp program delivered.

-Bridges built with "northerners" from the "other camp" in council.

-Best ecology program yet (during my tenure).

-Likely to be selected as program director for next year.

-Troops planning improvement weekends for camp. (The land was sold by the council several years ago, so receives no maintenance or funding.)

-Served in mentoring role for staffers at camp.

-Joined Scouter network forum, heehee..

Personal Thorns:

-Developed allergy over the course of year.

-Unfocused career path and difficult discernment.

Personal Roses:

-Graduating in May.

-Benefiting from a strong faith and growing appreciation of my religion.

-Good health for myself and my family.

-Caught up with high school friends/teachers.