Has anyone ever had knife throwing as an activity? Any suggestions as to what would constitute a safe range, a good target? My PLC came up with the idea, and I was surprised at just how many scouts in the troop had sets of throwing knives. I volunteered to do the initial research on the safety and rules. The GTSS says it's a permitted activity as long as you follow the Sweet Sixteen, but that's all I could find. Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

We used large tree rounds for a tomahawk throwing range at Camporee - however for knives we would have needed some kind of background like a large canvas or something to catch misses. Wouldn't want to look for those knives in the high weeds! You could pin playing cards to the rounds for targets if the goal is to hit something specific.

IMO, keep the scouts in the loop during research particularly about SAFETY. We were concerned about two issues:

1. knife bounce-back. New throwers are often inclined to throw a knife like a fast ball. Lighter knife mass and target geometries and hardness come into play more so than with heavier hawks. Couldn't find any knowledgeable instructors.

2. Scouts wanted to freely bring their knives which raised safety concerns as adults wanted throwing knives under lock. Agreement on this was not reached so end of game. Our scouts viewed a throwing knife the same as a scout knife. Adults viewed a throwing knife as a weapon same as a rifle. Some of us adults remember throwing scout knives in a dumb game of chicken.

So no knife throwing range yet and maybe never, but we had some good safety discussions. Some links from our research.

Professional group

http://www.akta-usa.com/docs/rules.htm

target

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-AKTA-style-target-for-knife-and-tomahawk-/

Here's a link to the Cascade Pacific Council's Tomahawk and Knife Throwing Policy

http://www.pdxt120.com/library/training/Knife%20&%20Tomahawk%20Throwing%20Policies.pdf

When I purchased a set of throwing Tomahawks and throwing knives it came with a guide book that had safety and range instructions

I don't remember where I got them but it was a set make for Scouts

2. Scouts wanted to freely bring their knives which raised safety concerns as adults wanted throwing knives under lock. Agreement on this was not reached so end of game. Our scouts viewed a throwing knife the same as a scout knife. Adults viewed a throwing knife as a weapon same as a rifle. Some of us adults remember throwing scout knives in a dumb game of chicken.

Typical...Politicking spoils another possible Scouting Activity..

Not throwing knives, but tomahawks. I know back in the day when my lodge was running a tomahawk booth, we had to set everything up as if it was a BB gun range: range flag, commands, etc. I believe that was per G2SS. Only problem we had was we didn't have enough 'hawks for the numbers waiting to throw.

Me personally, I wouldn't want the Scouts using their personal knives, unless they are specifically made for throwing, as they won't have the right balence and can be damaged.

How are throwing knives any different than any other kind of knife? If someone wanted to make a case out the fact they don't have sheaths, that's one thing, but assuming a sport knife is a weapon is kinda dumb. Javelins aren't weapons and fencing epees aren't either.

Stosh

Well you would not likely use a throwing knife for the utility tasks that scouting knives are used - cutting, whittling/shaving, a throwing knife is only thrown at a target like arrows and bullets which we consider weapons. We are not saying no, we are saying we adults will keep them secure until the activity safely starts.

Not a javelin, but we had a scout bring a set of 3 atlatls. I took charge of them quick. Have not seen any swords yet.