A Good Young Man Has Decided to Quit Scouting

Over the course of the past three years in the role of Scoutmaster, there have been a few particular Scouts I believe I was called to mentor and guide. I'm proud to say that one of these young men just turned 18 years old and successfully passed his Eagle board of review last week. To do this, he overcame a great many hurdles in his personal life and I know that what small things I did for him don't nearly equal what he did for himself. Nonetheless, it's these moments that make you remember why the heck you put on the uniform, go camping, and put up with all the other insignificant inconveniences that come with being Scoutmaster.

Another young man came to me last night at our Troop meeting with a heavy heart. He had decided to leave Scouting and broke down in tears before he could get any words out. For him I am Scouting and I've always been there for him over the course of these three short years. We've gone on many outings and trips; we've sat through incredibly dull Troop meetings; but, most importantly, we've talked to each other and shared stories about life. This is what B-P meant when he said the Scoutmaster must work with the boy as individual. Our young man was so worried about upsetting me and scared that I'd be mad at him for deciding to leave Scouting. Though, I know why he feels the way he does.

Recently, this young man's father has come around and back into his life. Unfortunately, his father doesn't approve of the Scouting life. Also, our young man wants to be more involved in sports AND he's going off to a different school--and high school at that. We've all be 14 and know how hard life can seem then. In fact, that's what I told him in our little chat. I explained that his place around the fire was always open and ready to receive him. He doesn't owe me or the Troop anything. But his tears and emotion were worth more than any payment he could ever give me.