Now onto a cheap' date=' lightweight energy source that lasts for days. Then I make trillions. :)[/quote']

I don't know if you're a Heinlein fan but in some of his later books he mentions an invention called the Shipstone which is just that. And the company that manufactured Shipstones grew so large that Coca-Cola was just a subsidiary.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is your troop chartered by a law firm?

My only experience with losing a scout in the middle of the night was with two Wolf cubs tenting together but adjacent to their dads. One kid got up in the night and his buddy rolled over an went bac

Final Chapter: He was removed from the position by the CO and the DC agreed. Came to find out that he was yelling at boys at summer camp and was trying to boss his way around the ASM's who were in c

I'm a big fan of troop tents and tarps. The scouts have to maintain and take care of the tents. If they damage the tents, the tent is assigned to the scouts who damaged it until it's fixed or replaced. Three of my scouts had to camp for two months in a tent without a door, because they broke the zipper and didn't fix it. When the weather turned cold they figured out how to fix the zipper.

Patrol method? Why would patrols check out equipment? :) Shouldn't the patrol boxes belong to the patrols? Same for tents and other equipment. Let the patrols live with their abuse and/or care of the equipment assigned to the patrol. If all I needed to do is turn in a bad tent and figure I'd be lucky to get a different tent next time, I won't worry about the poor sap who gets stuck with a tent that the zipper doesn't work.

Stosh

Stosh,

I agree completely. Our wording in always specific to our units. In my home unit the patrols each have a full set of gear, which is owned by the patrol. However, the patrols are not allowed to just tramp into the storage loft, box truck, or trailer, and just take things. Each patrol, under the direction of the patrols leader, checks it's gear out from the quartermaster. The Quartermaster is responsible for storage of gear, securing gear for transport, as well as making sure whatever is checked out is turned in. The Patrol Leaders keep a camping log, including who is in what tent number on the outing, and an inspection of the tent when set up, and taken down. The Patrol Leader communicates equipment issues to the Quarter Master. This process creates checks and balances.

Each patrol has exactly the same gear, all tents are exactly the same. Everyone knows how to use the gear, and has the same camp experience.

Stosh,

I agree completely. Our wording in always specific to our units. In my home unit the patrols each have a full set of gear, which is owned by the patrol. However, the patrols are not allowed to just tramp into the storage loft, box truck, or trailer, and just take things. Each patrol, under the direction of the patrols leader, checks it's gear out from the quartermaster. The Quartermaster is responsible for storage of gear, securing gear for transport, as well as making sure whatever is checked out is turned in. The Patrol Leaders keep a camping log, including who is in what tent number on the outing, and an inspection of the tent when set up, and taken down. The Patrol Leader communicates equipment issues to the Quarter Master. This process creates checks and balances.

Each patrol has exactly the same gear, all tents are exactly the same. Everyone knows how to use the gear, and has the same camp experience.

Yep, as well as it should be.

Stosh

Final Chapter: He was removed from the position by the CO and the DC agreed. Came to find out that he was yelling at boys at summer camp and was trying to boss his way around the ASM's who were in charge at the camp. I didn't hear about this until recently. He has always had a problem with women leaders in our troop and this time took it to extremes (one of my primary ASM's is female and she does a fabulous job of preparing for and organizing summer camps....as a result, I have learned to step back and let her handle things because she knows how to get it done). It is to the point, the council is considering yanking his adult membership. It is sad, because the guy did have some good contributions, but he was like the proverbial bull in a china shop....

• Upvote 2

The issue isn't big tents. Missed opportunity to teach your SPL what taking care of people is all about. Looks like the kind of leadership that basically takes care of oneself and one's buddies. Definitely not the kind of leadership taught in BSA. Scout Oath: ....to help other people at all times...... Obviously this SPL hasn't a clue as to what that means. I'd pull his POR before I changed the rules on tents. That basically lets the SPL off the hook... That would have been a SMC right then and there with that scout.

Stosh

Not sure what your "missed opportunity" is. I did speak with him and without going into the gory details - he was eventually removed.

My point is that I've already seen one Troop shut down for this sort of thing, and I'm not going to let one loose cannon take down the whole troop. Sometimes, the adults have to take some responsibility, particularly where Youth Protection is concerned.

Not sure what your "missed opportunity" is. I did speak with him and without going into the gory details - he was eventually removed.

My point is that I've already seen one Troop shut down for this sort of thing, and I'm not going to let one loose cannon take down the whole troop. Sometimes, the adults have to take some responsibility, particularly where Youth Protection is concerned.

The opportunity to teach the boy that there's more to this world than just oneself and one's cronies. If he's going to be SPL he has to take care of everyone, not just a select few. I was referencing only the issue of patrol tent not respecting the wishes of some of the lesser positioned boys.

Stosh