When should a week of camp end?

When should a week of camp end?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Just back from a week of camp. I noticed a variety of different departure times such that the Saturday closing ceremony had about a third of troops that

• After Saturday morning closing ceremony.
    • Saturday morning at troop's convenience, do closing at Friday campfire
    • Friday 5pm, after receive blue cards troop is homeward bound. No campfire, no closing.
    • Whenever, the troop will decide its own exit.

Just back from a week of camp. I noticed a variety of different departure times such that the Saturday closing ceremony had about a third of troops that started the week.

So when should a week of camp officially end, i.e., all troop pack up,campsite inspected, and troop leaves? I will assume most camps run Sunday through Saturday.

I think the staff deserve 24 hours off as well.

Yes and I agree as I heard those views from staff.

Also heard from troop adult leaders and some older scouts who wanted "the weekend" after camp back. They felt camp consumed the better part of two weekends. And if you are adult using your vacation time while your family waits at home...

Boy, you guys work with a tough crowd. 52 weekends in a year, and people complain about giving up one day in each of two of them?

We travel quite a distance to a couple of camps, trips of 4 or 5 hours. It's not all that practical for us to arrive home at 10 or 11 o'clock at night, which means the kids aren't home and in bed until after midnight. Leaving Friday would also blow a lot of that afternoon getting our campsite ship-shape for inspection, so we'd lose all the fun and games as well as the final shot at Merit Badge requirements. I'd also expect the price to be reduced by the equivalent of at least one day, as a 5:00 bug-out on Friday is about 17 hours earlier than "normal" on Saturday, plus saving two meals. I'm pretty sure the Camps aren't going to want to do that.

It's also not safe driving 6 hours in the dark after a full day of camp activities. We check out by 8:00 AM and are home by 2:00 in the afternoon on Saturday. Still time for a nice dinner out or a delivered pizza!

Checking out Saturday morning and driving home works. The scouts have a last night to think about their experiences after the Friday night closing ceremony. The drivers are not tired from a full days activities.

• Upvote 1

For whatever reason, both my council's summer camp, and a neighboring council's camp have about 75-90% of the troops gone after campfire on Friday. In fact only 2 troops were in camp when my troop left Saturday morning after breakfast.

Camp Heritage : Arrive and check in Sunday, 12noon to 1pm. (no lunch) Swim checks that afternoon. Closing Campfire, awards, etc. Friday night. Campsite inspection and Check out Saturday before 11am (bag breakfast). Sounds reasonable to me, campstaff deserve a sleep in day.

^^ This is how our camps run. I completely agree with as much Staff time off as possible - our camps usually hold a flag and awards Saturday morning, which the entire Staff has to attend. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if most of the Staff was not in attendance at that closing flag and ceremony.

Heritage Reservation, which runs it's Boy Scout camps Sunday-Saturday as SSScout describes, allows a unit's "advance team" to arrive Saturday afternoon to set-up canvas and take inventory. (Units bring their own food.) This is a great opportunity for the older scouts to have an additional night of fellowship, informal SMCs, and time to assist preparing for check-in next day. It also allows younger scouts to manage roll-call and vehicle loading for the rest of the campers departing Sunday AM.

The camp we attended was 1 1/2 hours from our town and is out-of-council for us. On the other hand the council troops for that camp have a 4-5 hour drive. We left on Friday after campfire, no problem, the council troops left Saturday am. Definitely a logistics issue. I would not want to drive 4-5 hours after Friday campfire, but an hour and a half is no big deal.

Stosh

Boy' date=' you guys work with a tough crowd. 52 weekends in a year, and people complain about giving up one day in each of two of them?[/quote']

After spending at least one weekend every month camping, additional weekend days doing fundraising, recruitment, and service projects; plus spending a WHOLE WEEK at camp, I can see why some people might complain about giving up one weekend day on either end of a week at camp. Notice I didn't even include the hour a week to work with the scouts at troop meetings.

I think it makes the most sense for the program to end at the Friday night campfire, with troops having the option to leave after the campfire or spend the night and bug out on Saturday morning with a bag breakfast. Seems to meet the most needs, including scouts who have religious obligations on Saturday.

The religious accommodations need to be met, but camp tear down, equipment check in and police line are difficult after a Friday night campfire. You could skip Friday afternoon activities and do it then but what do you do with all the gear especially if there is inclement weather before the parents come to pick up?

• 2 weeks later...