What Does Your Troop have?

How many boys registered? 17

How many boys active? 14

How many Patrols? 3---1 to many

Does your troop go to summer camp in or out of Council? In Council

Does your troop go to Dist/Council Camporees? Yes

Does your troop support FOS? Yes

Does your troop sell Popcorn? Yes If not, what are your fundraisers?

Does your troop use NSP, FCFY method? FC in 12-18 months

Does your troop have a Venture Patrol? No

Does your troop have a feeder pack? Yes...Our feeder pack needs better adult leader training...they set some bad habits.

How does your troop recruit non-Cub Scouts? Word of mouth, friends

Has your troop seen your Unit Commissioner in the past 6 months? Yes...he is ok...need to be better trained

Is your Unit Commissioner helpful or a pain? Helpful but a pain too, He's to much "They way we used to do it"

Does your troop leaders attend Roundtable? Yes me (ASM) and the SM

How many members are on your troop committee? One and a half

Is your troop boy led? No...working on it

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to do this at our Troop Office, but here's our numbers.

How many boys registered? 15

How many boys active? 10

How many Patrols? 2

Does your troop go to summer camp in or out of Council? Yes, we camp in council.

Does your troop support FOS? We started last year after it was explained to us what actually FOS does.

Does your troop sell Popcorn? If not, what are your fundraisers? No, We stopped this year due to our orders are not always correct from Council the last 6 years. We have an annual clean-up and a couple of car washes during the year.

Does your troop use NSP, FCFY method? We use the FCFY method not NSP.

Does your troop have a Venture Patrol? Yes, We call it our Leadership Corps.

Does your troop have a feeder pack? Yes, from the same charter organization.

How does your troop recruit non-Cub Scouts? Yes, twice a year during each semester.

Has your troop seen your Unit Commissioner in the past 6 months? NO, We don't have one unless you count me as the RT commissioner.

Is your Unit Commissioner helpful or a pain? If your counting me as the Commish, it'll be Both, it depends on what mood I'm in.

Does your troop leaders attend Roundtable? Yes

How many members are on your troop committee? 5

Is your troop boy led? Yes, when I get on their case about it.

How many boys registered? 26

How many boys active? 24

How many Patrols? 3

Does your troop go to summer camp in or out of Council? Both

Does your troop go to Dist/Council Camporees? YES

Does your troop support FOS? YES

Does your troop sell Popcorn?YES

If not, what are your fundraisers? popcorn is actually very little, though, and it ALL goes to the boy accounts. We also sell bottled water at community events, do car parking for the county fair, and recycle ink cartridges

Does your troop use NSP, FCFY method? FCFY- yes, tried NSP, failed - hopefully will try again

Does your troop have a Venture Patrol? yes - very active

Does your troop have a feeder pack? No, we actively recruit from 4 packs and non-scouts of all ages.

How does your troop recruit non-Cub Scouts? yes!

Has your troop seen your Unit Commissioner in the past 6 months? Our UC and COR are the same person.

Is your Unit Commissioner helpful or a pain? sometimes both!

Does your troop leaders attend Roundtable? yes - usually 2 - 5 SM, ASM's and some committee

How many members are on your troop committee? guess? about 12-14

Is your troop boy led? wasn't before, working on it now, hard to shake the committee's grip. SM and ASM's are dedicated and together on supporting PLC decisions and a boy-lead troop, however.

How many assistant Scoutmasters do you have? 4 - 3 experienced, 2 active and well trained, 1 not so active and not big on training. He goes along on HA trips. 1 new, very involved, working on training

Do you know who your COR is and when did you last see him/her? our COR and UC are the same person. COR is VERY active on the committee - which is mixed blessing. Very dedicated, experienced, trained, lifetime scouter. But she talks boy-lead and doesn't want to let go. committee follows.

I'd have two questions to add, too -

how many of your SM/ASM's are trained and how far?

All have YP, all but 1 have SM/ASM essentials, 3 have SM specific, committee challenge, outdoor leader skills, and quite a few district and regional skills trainings. Those three have served on both committee and SM/ASM at various times. One is aiming for woodbadge. the new guy is taking things ASAP.

Are any committee members trained? what percentage? all have YP -out of 12-14 people, I would say 3 or 4 have ANY other training - which I think is deplorable. Too many are "old scouts" who are not interested in any changes - and these are ones who HAVE been trained and ignore it - except where it suits their purpose. I do think (and fervently hope!)that the (involved and enthusiastic) majority of new parents on the committee will change that, now that they've 'found their way' after their first 6-9 mos on committee!

PS -

i would be really interested in seeing your compiled results of this informal survey, or your report - when you get it done -

Please post the results or a link to them when you finish?

i'm sur I'm not the only one who'd like to see the 'trends'

thanks!

laura

Count me in too -- I'd like to see the results of the project also.

In addition, let me add my answers to LauraT7's questions:

How many of your SM/ASM's are trained and how far?

SM: Finishing Wood Badge

ASM #1: All training thru Wood Badge

ASM #2: Finishing Wood Badge

ASM #3: All training thru Outdoor Skills

ASM #4: All training thru Outdoor Skills

ASM #5: Untrained, uninterested, usually unreliable -- but he's got the vehicle to pull the trailer.

Are any committee members trained? what percentage?

Our exact number of committee members is still murky, but of the three known only 1 has definitely been trained up thru Outdoor Skills (that's the CC and she only completed that within the past 18 months -- after nearly 4 years in the position). The other member (Outdoor/Activities) may have training up thru Outdoor Skills. The final member (Advancements) has not had any training at all. Of the other 5 or so members at large I doubt any have ever had any training. As for the percentages you'll have to take your pick -- either 1 of 3 (33%) or 1 of ~8 (~12.5%).

I'd agree with LauraT7 -- numbers like that are deplorable. I'll fall back on what I said in an earlier posting -- I'm surprised that training isn't required for the positions. I'm equally surprised that at least encouraging training isn't listed as one of the chairman's duties. I know, I know, that would be in the realm of the training coordinator, but the Committee Guidebooks doesn't list it as an essential position and even then his/her role is to "ensure troop leaders and committee members have opportunities for training." Heck, we always have opportunities, it seems that more often what is needed is someone to light a fire under some folks. Of course, when the CC shows no interest then what?

Aw geez, now I've gone and depressed myself. Later, friends.

How many boys registered? 20

How many boys active? 18

How many Patrols? 2

Does your troop go to summer camp in or out of Council? Out of Council, we have a rotation and hit our council's two camps every 5 years.

Does your troop support FOS? Yes, we give on average over $2,000.00 per year.

Does your troop sell Popcorn? If not, what are your fundraisers? Yes, we also do Spaghetti Dinner

Does your troop use NSP, FCFY method? Yes

Does your troop have a Venture Patrol? No

Does your troop have a feeder pack? Yes

How does your troop recruit non-Cub Scouts? Current members talk with friends.

Has your troop seen your Unit Commissioner in the past 6 months? Yes

Is your Unit Commissioner helpful or a pain? Helpful

Does your troop leaders attend Roundtable? Yes, SM, ASM, Committee Chair

How many members are on your troop committee? 7

Is your troop boy led? Yes

how many of your SM/ASM's are trained and how far? SM, Wood Badge, One ASM, Wood Badge, Other 5 ASM, Basic Trained.

Are any committee members trained? what percentage? Yes, CC, Wood Badge, One member, Wood Badge, all the rest are trained. We have 7 committee members.

For the Wood Badge Course in 2004, One of our committee members is the Course Director, One is the SPL and two others are on staff.

How many boys registered? 21

How many boys active? 17

How many Patrols? 3

Does your troop go to summer camp in or out of Council? in council and some yrs out of state

Does your troop go to Dist/Council Camporees? all

Does your troop support FOS? yes

Does your troop sell Popcorn? If not, what are your fundraisers? popcorn, scout show tickets (council fundraiser), christmas wreaths

Does your troop use NSP, FCFY method? nsp for first 6 months, usually 1st class in about 12-18 mos.

Does your troop have a Venture Patrol? no- older scouts are also enrolled in venture crew sponsored by same charter org

Does your troop have a feeder pack? yes - also chartered by same charter org

How does your troop recruit non-Cub Scouts? friends of scouts

Has your troop seen your Unit Commissioner in the past 6 months? yes - regularly - has standing invitation to attend troop meetings or committee meetings

Is your Unit Commissioner helpful or a pain? helpful

Does your troop leaders attend Roundtable? yes

How many members are on your troop committee? 10. most have attended new leaders essentials and troop committee challenge. some have attended bs leader specific.

Is your troop boy led? yes - even though it sometimes causes things not to get done, mostly due to lack of communication btwn jr leaders

sm/asm: 4 asm's and one dad who is taking training. he's registered as mc until he completes all training. sm & 3 asm's are wood badge trained.

cor: makes regular contact and appearances at troop meetings, committee meetings, CoH.

To follow up on the training question that was asked.

The SM is a Wood Badge Course Director,

Of the ASMs, I have served on a few Wood Badge Staffs, two of the other Asistants have completed Wood Badge training and are now finishing their tickets. The remaining Assistant has completed two of three parts of his Basic Training. We have at least one other Assistant SM joining with the New Scouts in February and he has begun his training already.

Twelve of the thirteen members of the Troop Committee have completed their Basic Training including the COR.

All registerd leaders have had Youth Protection training within the last 18-months.