New camp each year or same camp each year

I have had quite the discussions about summer camp the last couple of weeks.

There were big problems at our council’s summer camp this year and a lot of troops are considering different camps for next year.

I think a lot depends on the camp

My son’s troop has been going OOC for the last 12 or 13 years and has had people asking us about where we go.

We had 29 out of 33 Scouts attend camp this summer and for 2 Scouts it was their 8th summer going.

I think we would switch in a heartbeat if the Troop wasn't seeing this kind of participation

One SM I talked with told me how much his Scouts loved our councils summer camp and they went every year.

He had 4 out of 21 Scouts go to summer camp this year.

As I said, It depends on the camp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our unit started brainstorming about summer camp last night.

The suggestion was made to try the Summit summer camp, aka National Scout Camp even though we knew there would added travel time and expenses. Went to the webpage and found the following:

"25% adult leader discount for first two leaders ($299) and for additional adult leaders for every 10 additional Scouts".

Yikes, deal killed even before we got to the med forms and liability paperwork. For the council camps on our list, those two adult leaders attend free and if the camps would even think of charging adult leaders - Provo or Nogo. So we will be Thrifty, no Summit summer camp for us. :(

• 4 weeks later...

The suggestion was made to try the Summit summer camp, aka National Scout Camp even though we knew there would added travel time and expenses. Went to the webpage and found the following:

"25% adult leader discount for first two leaders ($299) and for additional adult leaders for every 10 additional Scouts".

Yikes, deal killed even before we got to the med forms and liability paperwork.:(

Summit is hugely expensive. Our council contingent to Jamboree back in 2010 would have cost me just over $5,000 for my son and I to attend. Could not opt out of the council-panned activities.

Summit itself is ok. If you want a better option, go to Goshen in VA. Then spend some time on your own driving through Rt 220 and Rt 33 in WVA and visit Seneca Rocks. MUCH cheaper than Summit. You can event set up your own trek with outfitters around New River and get the same experience as Summit without the price tag.

My guys have taken to building their own treks now rather than hitting BSA national camps. They are cheaper and many times better quality.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the quality of counselors and chow which make or break a camp, though facilities do play a part. Counselors and chow can change significantly from year to year. That said, we do tend to rotate between a few. The older boys get bored with the same old place every year.