Summer Camp Merit Badge Mill Grinds On.

Camp Winton is not a merit badge “mill†where Scouts pay a fee and get their badges.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing that could happen to summer camps is a removal of merit badge programs.

The only ER badges my camp offer are Swimming, Lifesaving, FA and ES (2 hours per day). Seems reasonable although the 1 hour for the others is a bit skimpy IMHO. I would much rather see 2 solid MB

Old Timer alert.... When I went to scout camp there were no MB's offered. We spent our time at open swim, open shoot, open this or that, but generally just hung out and had a great time. We even had time to make camp gadgets every year and we all cooked in the site so that took up some time as well. I do remember a lot of time spent in a canoe fishing with buddies.

If one is there to relax and enjoy the out-of-doors, maybe a little less regimen might be a good thing. In our hectic society of gotta be here, then there, and then back over here again, I don't know if relaxation is an option.

Stosh

Met two Scouts for MB counseling today. Learned some more about Camp Runamuk.

The First Aid "counselor" celebrated his 18th birthday mid Week 5. But, he told the candidates, that's OK because the Area Director, who's a Scouter, will sign all the Blue Cards.

The Citizenship badges were handled mike the Scoutcraft badges - no individual testing. Only participation in discussion required.

Crossroads of America Council . . . Summer Camp is NOT a merit badge mill

Unit leaders are as much the problem as crappy camps. In 2011, the Horsemanship MB requirements changed to the inclusion of a 60-foot straight cantor and 30-foot half-circle cantor. Apparently a cantor is very hard to manage, and the instructors decided they couldn't do it in a week, so the Program Director announced that because of the safety issues the boys would all be leaving with a partial and would need to do the cantoring at home.

All I heard for the rest of the week was Scoutmasters talking about how they would just be signing off that requirement as soon as they got their gear unloaded.

I think most of understand that the Scoutmasters are a big part of the problem. That does not excuse the pushers of this toxic product..

​The signatures of the SM's are, unless registered as Counselors for that Merit Badge, void. It is Councils duty to refuse to accept the aaDvancement Report of issue the Merit Badges.

Maubila Scout Reservation…

 Summer camp is not a merit badge “mill,†where you pay a fee and automatically receive three of four .

What do we know is going on when camp after camps says it is not a merit badge mill.

• 2 weeks later...

Camp Tahquitz:

Summer Camp should not be a "Merit Badge Mill", whose success is based only on counting the number of badges earned.. Remember, scouts will be tested on the actual requirements, not on attendance.

Having been to the Denver Mint and seen how it turns out pennies -- now debased, I see your point

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Spanish Trail Scout Reservation . . . is not a merit badge “Millâ€Â.

Imagine driving into a town and seeing this sign on eveyr other house: "We don't sell drugs here." What is going on in that town?

[Camp Horne] . . . is not a merit badge mill nor is it a classroom setting;