Food for camping trips question cub scouts

I have a question regarding food for camping trips. The last pack I was in they supplied all the food and the dens prepared the meals. My new pack I am responsible for feeding my family. I have mixed feelings on both. With the pack supplied food there was always a chance that I would not like what they served it was mostly over cooked chicken. This trip I know I will like the food. but I think I am going to miss everybody sitting around the campfire sharing a meal. So my question is how does your pack handle food on camping trips ? What works for you ? What really did not work ?

Pack supplies the food for the Cubs. Parents are pot luck. That stops the foodies from competing to have the best meal and brings up the quality of vittles for those that don't camp very well. We only ever camp for 1 night because that is all I can handle.

We have been doing by den. Usually the pack supplies the charcoal for some grills. Usually people just bring hot dogs and brats. Will try and step it up a bit for my Webelos den this year. Trying to cook for over 10 people is a real pain. We try and keep registration fees low and make activities pay as you go.

First Pack I was in when I came back to Scouting...First Overnighter.....First Cub-N-Pal they Did Food for Cubs...Others were on their Own..Then First Overnighter we had It was Each Den was responsible for their own food..We all still sat around a Common Area and Shared S'Mores and Stories...How Ever after I brought out my trailer mounted BBQ Grill and they saw How I cooked it went to I cooked for everyone..I planned the meals and Families paid an Equal Share.Amazing how Much a Family can be feed on 20.00 each..

Surprisingly Now several packs and Troops are now Bringing out Trailer Mounted BBQ Grills.

Our Cub campouts are usually one night, and we'll provide one meal (either dinner or breakfast) + smores, cobbler, etc. The other meal is up to each family to bring. Recently we've been doing more of the provide breakfast rather than dinner, so we don't have to worry as much about picky eaters.

Pot Lot worked for us. Our Pack did one or two meals (usually lunch--hotdogs and chips). Dens did their own thing. I found Pot Luck worked since the Vegans would make sure they had something they could eat and the carnivores the same. Usually resulted in more food than boys could eat...

I have a question regarding food for camping trips. The last pack I was in they supplied all the food and the dens prepared the meals. My new pack I am responsible for feeding my family. I have mixed feelings on both. With the pack supplied food there was always a chance that I would not like what they served it was mostly over cooked chicken. This trip I know I will like the food. but I think I am going to miss everybody sitting around the campfire sharing a meal. So my question is how does your pack handle food on camping trips ? What works for you ? What really did not work ?

Back when I was in a Pack, our Pack provided Saturday lunch and Saturday dinner for Pack outing. Breakfast was on on our own. Generally lunch was burgers cooked on buddy burners. Dinner was hot dogs or sometimes we would have a chili cookoff as dinner (usually with hot dogs for boys who didn't eat chili). Webelos would often do hobo meals on afore-mentioned buddy burners.

Our pack (since before I became CM) did this by families. All of our campouts were family campouts except for the overnighter or two when webelos were invited to 'join' a boy scout camporee (on those occasions the den cooked). The families seemed to like it this way and if anyone was 'challenged' the CM was prepared to demonstrate and teach them some new skills.

I really like the cub scouts. They're the best of all.

Our Pack paid for most of the food. We usually asked each family to bring one dish to share.

We made sure to find out if there were any allergies/problems before setting the menu, and purchasing the food.

The menu was known/shared in advance with those attending. They were free to bring their own if they had a problem. No one ever did.

We provided cracker barrel munchies for Friday evening, breakfast, lunch, dinner on Saturday,and breakfast on Sunday.

We always cooked, and ate, as a group. Felt it was more fun that way, and helped families to get to know each other.

Dens are the building blocks of patrols and should learn to camp and function cooperatively.

Webelos dens, yes. Not Tiger/Wolf/Bear. Webelos dens should also be camping on their own to help prepare them for Boy Scouts.

Pack camping is family camping - for the entire Pack, Tiger thru Webelos. It is a great opportunity for the entire Pack family to get to know each other, become closer, and share the vision of Scouting. That is how you get adults committed to helping "their" Pack.

Pack camping is family camping - for the entire Pack, Tiger thru Webelos. It is a great opportunity for the entire Pack family to get to know each other, become closer, and share the vision of Scouting. That is how you get adults committed to helping "their" Pack.

Nothing better than having a captive audience of adults for 24 hours or more to recruit your future leaders.