"Unofficial uniform"

I am having a hard time imagining anyone actually coming up to me to talk about how I'm wearing the uniform. Who actually does this? What positions do the hold?

My first response would be to laugh and assume they were joking with me. If I found they were serious I think I'd contiue to laugh and just walk away so as not to say something un-scout like.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit that I used to be much less concerned or even aware of my uniform in the years past. Having read TLS's posts over the years regarding uniforming and insignia has changes my viewpoint. I w

Interesting how, once again, the implication is that those who care about the uniform apparently 'don't have any adventure in their lives,' are 'uptight,' and don't enjoy 'the fun of Scouting.' These

"Tell me about this patch" is far more interesting than "this patch doesn't meet regulation".

I am having a hard time imagining anyone actually coming up to me to talk about how I'm wearing the uniform. Who actually does this? What positions do the hold?

Usually someone who is un- or under-employed (too much time on their hands) and/or they have "control issues". Position doesn't matter. Smile, shrug it off, excuse yourself, and walk away.

I only worry about how good my boys look. I don't worry about someone else's problems.

My four boys were in full uniform all week except the PL who washed his uniform on Wednesday and wore a scout t-shirt on Thursday while it dried. Otherwise they could wear scout t-shirts while in the camp site.

None of them commented about having to wear the uniform all the time after we got there. They were some minor grumblings prior to our trip, but nothing after we got in the cars to head out.

Whereas not too many people comment about how poor a uniform looks, my boys have often gotten kudos for looking good in full uniforms. Once again we were the only full field uniformed troop at camp. Staff noticed and said something. That went a long way to keeping the uniforms on and surprisingly clean.

I had someone question my uniform because I wore a 1950/60's green shirt with 50's/60's insignia on it. Many commented that they had never see it before and were just interested in looking closer.

Stosh

But with everyone on this forum having differing opinions, will BSA ever come up with a uniform Uniform Police Badge? Is it worn on the official uniform or on civilian clothes? Will China be able to make them in mass quantities and keep up with the demand? Who can take it away if another Uniform Police Badge person realizes someone is wearing it with blue jeans? Does a knot come with it? Can atheists and gays wear it? Sounds like a straw-man argument on a slippery slope to me.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Where is it worn and how depends on the Situation....If your undercover you wouldn't want people to see it until it is time to show it off...Then you pull it out and Start belittling people for their in Fractions..Once your a Uniform police you will be required to carry the Badge on you at all times, even in Civilian wear since you never know when and where you will encounter a Scouter. The position is adult position, so Unless they are a Un-pronounced Atheist or a Closet Gay they can not hold the position, since a Uniformed Police Officer has to be a registered adult leader...

We should attempt to follow uniform guidelines, to set the correct example, and enable uniforming to function as a "method of scouting". "A Scout is Obedient", which means we should attempt to follow uniform guidelines while working to have them clarified, corrected, or changed, where we don't agree with them.

With this having been said, BSA has created several messes, like mentor pins, something every scouter is very proud of, which are designated as non-uniform wear. Another great one is the totin-chit and Firem-Chip patches, which are shaped like a pocket flap, but meant to be worn in the temp position "on the packet".

I would never call a scouter out on uniform wear, although I might make sure the scouter knows how and were to wear an item on the uniform; sometimes people just don't know. On the other hand, our unit does make it clear that our scouts and scouters, when representing the unit, will follow uniform guidelines. I do educate unit members on correct uniforming, and how to tackle pesky insignia attachment, and uniform alterations. I don't bust chops, I support and educate. Before anyone asks, my unit uniform is perfectly in keeping with all current uniform policies, and I do maintain a separate uniform for my non-unit position.

• Upvote 1

One of my sayings is “Sometimes, it’s ok to break a rule, but make sure you know why you’re breaking it.â€Â

For example, at summer camp this year, they offered a “Chaplain's Award.†It involved saying grace at a meal, holding an in-camp devotional, and participating in the scout's own service. One of our Webelos Crossovers told me he wanted to do it and I encouraged him to go for it. The first wasn’t a big deal, but standing in front of the whole troop and reading a devotional (he choose from some I already had) took some courage. Even more so to participate in the Scout’s Own service in front of the whole camp (all the other participants were Life Scouts or higher).

When they gave him the physical award at the closing campfire, it was obviously not an “official†award – it was a simple ¾†metal shepherd’s crook pin. He came to me beaming and asked me where it goes on his uniform. I wasn’t about to tell him he couldn’t wear it. He now wears it where I suggested - pinned on his left pocket flap, right beneath his Religious Award knot. If I told him it wasn’t for uniform wear, it would probably be at the bottom of his sock drawer somewhere.

Disclaimer: the crossover in question was my youngest son, but I like to think I would have handled it the same way with any of our scouts.

One of my sayings is “Sometimes, it’s ok to break a rule, but make sure you know why you’re breaking it.â€Â

For example, at summer camp this year, they offered a “Chaplain's Award.†It involved saying grace at a meal, holding an in-camp devotional, and participating in the scout's own service. One of our Webelos Crossovers told me he wanted to do it and I encouraged him to go for it. The first wasn’t a big deal, but standing in front of the whole troop and reading a devotional (he choose from some I already had) took some courage. Even more so to participate in the Scout’s Own service in front of the whole camp (all the other participants were Life Scouts or higher).

When they gave him the physical award at the closing campfire, it was obviously not an “official†award – it was a simple ¾†metal shepherd’s crook pin. He came to me beaming and asked me where it goes on his uniform. I wasn’t about to tell him he couldn’t wear it. He now wears it where I suggested - pinned on his left pocket flap, right beneath his Religious Award knot. If I told him it wasn’t for uniform wear, it would probably be at the bottom of his sock drawer somewhere.

Disclaimer: the crossover in question was my youngest son, but I like to think I would have handled it the same way with any of our scouts.

Not to worry about it. Someday he'll learn the rule about it and may take it off, maybe not. But with all the boys out there NOT in appropriate uniforms, it'll probably get lost in the crowd and no one will ever notice. If he becomes Chaplain's Aide, he might put it on this POR patch as a device as well. Again, most people won't notice. If they do notice, they might even say something nice about it.... There's always scouts that are friendly out there....

Stosh

Good solution in the short term. It bugs me when 10- and 11-yr-olds cross over and come in wearing Cub conservation awards in weird places, but I couldn't ever bring myself to deflate a kid.

The 22-yr-old, however, I like to give a hard time. I mean, really. :rolleyes:

Love the emblem; should make it into a full sized t-shirt design too. Learned long ago to be careful what you say, especially to an adolescent. Was at a camp one summer, and I kept seeing the infamous Tote-n-Chit patch on the OA designated pocket. When I saw it on an older scout one day, who was wearing a Star patch and an arrow dangle, I asked him (I guess sarcastically looking back, though thought it was tongue in cheek) where the lodge was located. He of course gave me the blank look, so when I explained the error, he informed me that is where his leader told him to put it and so it was staying there. After suggesting he review the insignia guide, I wished him well and forgot about it. That evening, a very red faced leader from the boy's unit found me at dinner and lambasted me about it. So, I have tried to not be even jokingly a UP except in my own unit.

But, as noted, some things you may occasionally look past. In 1985, I put my 1960 Jambo patch next to the 1985 patch when I was a leader. Only had one comment, other than that is cool the entire time at jambo. Also have my two mentor pins on my left pocket flap; it is an honor. Not sure if I had more if I would keep them there though.