A scout is honest vs mb earned at camp

Among the merit badges my son "earned" at camp is environmental science. My dad was there. He's a counselor for environmental science, but in another state. He just came to camp to be with his grandson because he's 11 and not 12, which is too young to go to camp without an adult relative in Utah. Among other things (I didn't ask about anything else), my son (and all the other boys) did not build an ecosystem in a bottle. The blue card was signed, though. Should I advise my son to at least do the work after the fact? Or have him decline his award? He's happy going along with all the other boys and receiving awards, even if they weren't earned. :(

I'd show him what he did and what is required and then ask him what the right thing to do is. He'll most likely tell you the right thing. Then I'd bring up the fact that grandpa would sure love to do the extra work with him. He might even suggest getting the other scouts to join him with your dad.

• Upvote 1
Among other things (I didn't ask about anything else)' date=' my son (and all the other boys) did not build an ecosystem in a bottle. The blue card was signed, though. :([/quote']

Were there any do before camp prereq's for this badge?

While this seems like a lot of work for only one week at camp, I do have to agree with Sid, there is no requirement in the Environmental Science merit badge to build an ecosystem, in a bottle or anywhere else.

There are a lot of activity choices with this badge, none of them include building anything.

Why not simply ask your son how he liked working on the badge. Ask him what he did in each category, and if he would be interested in learning more about any of them.

Now that we've established that the merit badge was...merited...allow me to share a story. When I was 11 I, too, took the Environmental Science Merit Badge at Woodruff Scout Reservation in Blairsville, GA. Before going to camp I bought the pamphlet, read it, and got all jazzed up about it. Then, in camp I took the Mountain Man course (Scout skills for new campers) in addition to the Eniv Sci and First Aid Merit Badges. It was A LOT of work and it took me every day to complete. But I still have my Mountain Man pocket flap patch and those two merit badges are sewn on my sash in the top row--my first two badges.

So, @christineka, I suggest you ask your son about his experience with the Environmental Science Merit Badge. I bet he enjoyed it and will remember it for a long, long time. :D

• Upvote 1

While it seems all is well for this instance, I understand the concern. I am also a counselor for the ES mb as well as other natural history merit badges. And I have frequently observed problems related to work being credited without being done. A parent is free to discuss anything they want with their child. They can ask any questions they want. And if it turns out ok, they are free to heap praise on their child.

When I stumble upon a problem at camp, however, I address it directly and in a timely manner with the counselor. That is usually all that is needed.

Same situation I fell into with cubs

Naturalist - the Camp Signed off complete, I however asked the boys what was done (because I was there and I know what was done) and we all agreed that the camp was wrong and we would finish up what wasnt complete.