1st time teaching a merit badge- Help!

I misunderstood. I thought the 11-year-olds where a whole other troop.

Our boys don't meet in the summer, so usually the leader holds on to blue cards until we reconvene in the fall. Depending on how industrious the boys are, there could be 90+ cards ... some of the partials ... that get returned on the SM the last day of camp. Trying to distribute those AND break camp and make sure that all the boys get home safe is too tall of an order for must of us. I suspect that's the same situation your leaders are in except it sounds like your boys are meeting during the summer. So, be patient as they sort things out.

Part of this whole process is scouters in their units sharing their vision of how things should work and coaching each other accordingly.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My biggest issue with Christine's situation is the "forced march" aspect. Around here, even in "group" MB situations such as summer camp or MB fairs, it is the individual Scout who decides what badge

KDD, that may very well be good advice for an SM to give a Scout. But isn't it ultimately the Scout's decision whether or when to go for a particular badge? Leaving aside that the Scout needs a cert

Christineka: It doesn't matter if it it is lds Scouting or "regular" Scouting. The MBs are meant to be BOY initiated and kept at. If the SM or ASM holds the Blue Cards or even reminds the Scout of the meeting or the necessity of keeping up with the requirements, that only reinforces the idea that the Scout will get the award REGARDLESS of what he does. Daddy will make sure sonny succeeds no matter what the mean old world does.... Sounds like Cub Scouting. Sounds like what some of us used to call No Fault Scouting .

Put it in the Scouts hands. You can offer the MB, but you should not make it impossible to fail.