Winter Lock-In

So, I'm considering trying to have some sort of one-night, "Winter Lock-In" in the basement hall of our charter church (which has an attached gym, kitchen, and a couple of "quiet area" rooms) for our Cub Scouts. Anyone try this before, and how well was it received, and what kind of things do I need to think about for planning?

My old district did a Webelos lockin at a gym/community center. Covered aquanaut, artist, engineer and sportsman. They had a nice flow to it. Sport activity then moved to 1/2 of artist, sports activity, 1/2 engineer, aquanaut, then 1/2 of artist. It worked out really well. A Venturing crew acts as most of the Counselors. The hardest part was all the dads had nothing to do and staying up until 5am was roughest on us. Make lots and lots of coffee.

Our district does this annually at the local Boys & Girls club. They have basketball, dodgeball, etc in the gym; a game room with ping pong, billiards, board games, etc; a computer room; movies in a lounge. They even have an actual indoor archery range (couldn't be a unit-level activity). They serve plenty of pizza and junk food. No formal advancement activities like KDD's. Usually draws a pretty good crowd.

Actually my son's scout troop does this every January for several reasons. 1) the newly elected PLC hadn't come up with a calendar yet, B) We have new Scouts joining us from the December Crossovers that may not have cold weather gear, and 3) This is something the scouts want.

Activities vary I am told, however the Troop Chess Tournament is always included. This past year, my son's first, they went to a rock climbing gym during the morning, did first aid training in the afternoon, and chess tournament and game time that nite.

My son loved it.

Sock Wars is great game in this environment. Have families bring several bags of socks. Flip the tables on their sides and/or bring cardboard boxes to make forts. Ball up the socks, blow the whistle and go. Kids vs. kids. Adults vs. kids. If you are hit, you are out. Time the rounds. Be prepared for screaming and lots of energy. Wash, pair up and donate socks to local shelter.

We have a Cub Scout lodge "camp-in" in January. Lights out at 10:00 or 10:30 pm. No all-nighters here. One lodge has 2 inch floor mattresses and another has bunks. We have non-advancement indoor and outdoor activities. Breakfast in the kitchen includes Webelos-cooked pancakes and reheated frozen turkey sausage and adults supervising Ziplock bag eggs. And coffee. For dinner, sometimes we order pizza or we will go outside and cook over coals. This camp-in has our largest attendance because parents are using flush toilets, there aren't any bugs, they don't have to set up a tent and the building is climate controlled. Have fun!

We used to do this as a broader event in which other units participated as well, 'locked in' at a nearby 'Discovery Center' or similar museum-type place. The boys and chaperones got to explore the exhibits and then at the proper time, each group got a display area to bed down in sleeping bags for the night. Then next morning they were up before the place opened. In our case the center had a kitchen so we had breakfast there and then came home. I think the chaperones had as much fun as the boys.

When I came Back to Scouting the Pack I was with had one...Everyone had a great time. I set up a projector and Sound system and We watched a Movie. We had the Local Fire Department Bring out their "smoke" house for Fire Safety and the Firemen Suited up for the Youth. Like Others we were fortunate enough to Have a Large Sponsor with Facilities including a Gym and A Kitchen.

Couple thoughts since it is a Church you would probably need to complete it Friday- Sat rather than Sat - Sun. The other option would be to have it over Christmas break and have it through the week.

You should also look at the youth protection rules when it comes to sleeping in a large room. Do you need to accomodate different areas for gender, adults and scouts?