Checking packs before a specialty/ High adventure trip - yes? or no?

I should explain that the inspection team is mdae up of both adult and scouts.

One of the other things we do is to do a packing demo weeks before. This years was a fun one with one scout packed wrong and one having the right equipment. The right equipmentis then discussed right down to the plastic flatware.

Okay, look at this from a boys perspective. If I bring everything I'm supposed to bring, I have to sleep outside in the freezing cold. If I "forget" something, the troop will open up the nice toasty cabin for my "safety." Well, duh, guess what this encourages?

We will be camping in mid January (in Michigan). It will be cold. We (primarily me, the SM) will do an equipment check before we go. First, I will show what I am bringing and explain why. Next week, the boys will show what they are brining and explain why. The boys will critique themselves on what they brought, both from a "too much" and from a "too little" perspective. As an adult leader with a fairly young troop my main concern is not that a Scout may not bring something but that they do not own the proper equipment. None of the Scouts have a driver's license or a job yet so I don't expect them to buy their own gear. They can only bring what mom and dad have bought them. I'm also really trying to educate the parents too. Do they have a proper thermal barrier between them and the ground. Are they properly attired? The biggest barrier is not the boys but convincing the parents that yes, your children can do this. Now let's plan it properly so it becomes an enjoyable event!

we have a standard check list for winter camping that we work from. We hand them out right after Thanksgiving and explain this is what we are looking for. We also mention that it make a good Christmas list for those item that the boys don't have but want/need. You would be surprised at the number of parents that thank us for that list.

We did pack inspections before cold-wx camping in Korea -- not right before departure; takes too long and if somebody's missing something, we all wait. SPL and ASPL checked each other, then the PLs. PLs checked their patrols with the APLs. When the PLs told the SPL, and the SPL told me, that all were squared away, we were good to go. If anyone were missing something at the campsite, the SPL/PL had to make it right, with some of their own stuff if necessary. Taught attention to detail.

There's good lists in the handbook, camping MB pamphlet, Fieldbook, and a wealth of resources on the Internet, too. Look at all of them, come up with a hybrid check list, and use it...

KS

Pack checks are a must-- we go over the lists a week before, a practice run--no guarantees-- things get changed and they forget to replace the items--- all I can say is be prepared -- I bring some extra stuff with us just in case -- I don't tell the others ,I want them to be accountable -- but if somthing comes up, a nice pair of dry socks sure puts a smile on their face( priceless) RM

There is a lot of good ideas here. This thought came to me as I was reading the posts. How about inviting the Webelos from you feeder pack (or other Packs) to attend your Troop meeting and witness the Boy Lead pack inspection. It would be good for the Webelos to witness a real activity and hopefully learn something.