Public list of ALL Eagle Scouts

Over the July 4th weekend, someone mentioned that he had googled for a list of Eagle Scouts and found various links of "famous" Eagle scouts but not THE list of all Eagle scouts from first to most recent. He wanted to know why there was not such a list as it seemed a good idea to him.

This seemed an obvious good idea to me too. The only explanation that I could offer him was that National, NESA, and local Councils have not managed those records. Not sure if most troops know all their Eagles going back to day one.

Lost scouting history? :(

Members of NESA can search for Eagles through their files, which include non NESA listings going way back. My troops first two from the early 20's are listed. Also, in 2002 (I think), all active councils were sent a CD with Eagles a committee of researchers had put together from old National records and NESA listings. While there is a good deal of duplication in these lists, and some confusion due to Eagles living in a council area that became Eagles in no longer existing councils, it can be cleaned up and even sorted. I got our local one, after digging it out of the executive's drawer of unviewed CD's from National, and sorted it by units, cities, and years. Since then, most councils have fairly accurate records, as does National.

A general public record from Eldred on is not available as far as I know. But if it was, it would be a huge data base, as there have been over 2 million scouts, which may be why it is not published as a list. There also may be concerns that some individuals might prefer not to have their names publicized. I know that NESA had to alter the search parameters to make it very difficult to glean the lists for mailing lists and so on. If you have a NESA access, you have to look at the names one at a time to get any useful info, though you can get a name only list searching for cities or zips. But, you must be a NESA member to use that data base.

Skeptic's probably right about this. Considering they can't even maintain a basic membership list accurately from one year to the next, I can't imagine that a database of Eagle Scouts would be either complete or correct.

• Upvote 1

Select a starting date range to keep it simple and just list name, year, town, state, troop number. No past or current mailing address, phone numbers, email addresses, certainly no Eagle Scout number.

What this fellow was perhaps a little neurotic about was those few who falsely claim to be Eagle Scouts and there being no easy way to prove one way or another.

Still it does seem to be inconsistent that National has so many lawyers protecting the BSA "brand" while allowing any guy to call himself an Eagle scout. :confused:

I read a comment by Mike Walton on Bryan's blog once where Mike said that there's no database. Apparently NESA has big books, and if you want to find a name you're welcome to come look through the books. If Mike lurks maybe he can elaborate, but I don't think he uses this forum.

Anyway, it's not in national's interest to make an easily accessible list, you get some turd with an axe to grind and all of a sudden here's a list of 50 Eagle Scouts who are felons. There's already an Amazon list of books to that effect http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Scouts-Gone-Bad/lm/37WH3HKAM7XH2