Read this, it will make you feel proud to be an American

I AM THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

I am the flag of the United States of America. My name is Old Glory. I fly atop the world's tallest buildings. I stand watch in America's halls of justice. I fly majestically over institutions of learning. I stand guard with power in the world. Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice. I stand for freedom. I am confident. I am arrogant. I am proud. When I am flown with my fellow banners, my head is a little higher, my colors a little truer.

I bow to no one! I am recognized all over the world. I am worshipped - I am saluted. I am loved - I am revered. I am respected -- and I am feared.

I have fought in every battle of every war for more then 200 years. I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appomattox. I was there at San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, in the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome and the beaches of Normandy, Guam, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Korea, KheSan, and Saigon. Vietnam knows me, I was there. I led my troops, I was dirty, battleworn and tired, but my soldiers cheered me And I was proud. I have been burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries I have helped set free. It does not hurt, for I am invincible.

I have been soiled upon, burned, torn, and trampled on the streets of my country. And when it's by those whom I've served in battle -- it hurts. But I shall overcome -- for I am strong.

I have slipped the bonds of Earth and stood watch over the uncharted frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon. I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours. But my finest hours are yet to come.

When I am torn into strips and used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the battlefield, When I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldier, Or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent at the grave of their fallen son or daughter, I am proud.

MY NAME IS OLD GLORY.

LONG MAY I WAVE.

DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN, LONG MAY I WAVE.

PLEASE SEND MY MESSAGE TO ALL WHO

STILL LOVE AND RESPECT ME, THAT I MAY

FLY PROUDLY FOR ANOTHER TWO HUNDRED YEARS

SPL, may I point out that this is an international forum? That you may have scouting friends from other countries reading this, that they have allegiance to their own flag, and may be offended by the idea of our flag flying 'arrogantly' above their own?

I would also point out that with awesome power comes the awesome responsibility to use that power wisely. There must be a measure of humility to provide a balance and prevent arrogance and pride from running a destructive course.

Patriotism does not mean that the world recognize our flag as the 'best' flag.

Mrs Red, please accept my apology if the offended reader comes from a country that sent aid and assistance for the folks who were in trouble when the Mississippi over flowed it's banks. Thanks to all those in other lands that sent financial aid for those displaced by Western fires that rages throughout our land. When the World Trade Center was attacked we received how much aid to be distributed to the surviving families and all those displaced who lived right close by Ground Zero. How many survivors of U.S Servicemen fallen in the line of duty protecting foreign interests on THEIR soil. Is our flag offending them? I can answer that myself as I watch news today about Iraq. If they can get their hands on our flag its history. Yes, that poem would offend them.

A line is being drawn in the sand and its a dotted line. www.sierratimes.com has a story of a school system honoring a week of Muslum culture where the school kids MUST participate in Ramadan, read the Koran, and are not to be excused due to personal religious beliefs! This same system will not allow Christmas pagents, etc. Read the articles there at sierratimes.com, Mrs RED. Lincoln said it best when he said 'you can please some of the people some of the time, but, you can't please all the people all the time.'

That flag represents freedom for all, without qualification. It should be higher than the rest as a beacon to all to that the ultimate place, thus far for the land of the free, is the USA

mrs red feather, im an American, and that means being proud of your country. I proud to tell all how I feel about our country. As for the they might get offended, heres a solution, dont read it, it lets you know in the title what its about, If i said "Thank God we've got Sadam, that could offend some countries, but ya know what I dont care, because in America, if you would read the First Ten Amendments, I can voice my opinion.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanaka( Iknow its spelt wrong), and Happy New Years'

SPL T 15:

First of all, on behalf of all those who celebrate Hanukah, thank you.

Second of all, Jewish people spell it about 5 different ways ourselves. My preference is Hanukah, but Chanukah is also popular. Then, once the beginning is settled on, there are people who will double the "k" or leave off the "h." I guess if you multiply it out that is probably 8 choices though not all of them are actually seen. There may even be others I haven't seen.

The same problem exists for many other words that were originally in the Hebrew alphabet (such as my last name, for another example.) The letters do not correspond easily to English.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and all.

Regarding the "Festival of Lights"....eight spellings: one for each day of celebration! And that celebration is a war victory of isreal over the Syrians. I'm sure the Syrians are offended each of the 5,000 years since that war( That number may be off by a few centuries, but the point is made)If everyone everywhere is proud of their own flag that's fine. Recently, in Iraq, if one showed even the slightest lack of 110% enthusiam they and/or their family were in peril for life and property. Nazis,KKKs, etc. are proud of their flags and their adjendas ( why the BSA will not permit Scouts to wear camoflage as they do for their youth groups so as not to confuse the groups and who stands for what)....And here we are back to the origional idea of this thread! Pretty good segue? Dave J!

First of all, I realized that I misspelled my own spelling. I usually write it as "Hanukkah" with 2 k's. Some people only write it with one. I have also seen it with 2 n's which may get us up to 16 possible spellings though I don't think many people use 2 n's. And from my long-ago and brief study of Hebrew, it is my recollection that that language seldom (if ever) uses double letters (that is, Hebrew letters) so I am not sure how the letters got doubled in English.

Davej, just for the sake of historical accuracy, the events in the story of Hanukkah took place in the 160's B.C. (I had to look that up, I knew it had to be somewhere in the few hundred years before the time of Jesus Christ, by which time the Romans had obviously taken over Jerusalem from the Maccabees.)

As for the "Syrians" being offended, I don't know. Syria itself was a conquered region at the time. Although "Syrians" are usually mentioned when the story of Hanukkah is told, the time in question is also often called the "Hellenistic" period of Middle Eastern rule. That is, the Greeks (led by Macedonians) were in charge. The ruling dynasty of Syria (and what is now Israel) at the time were the Seleucids, descendants of Seleucus (sp?), a Greek/Macedonian general in the army of Alexander the Great (which had conquered the area about two centuries earlier.) The story of Hanukkah culminates with the defeat of the Seleucids in Jerusalem by the Jews, led by the Maccabbees, who were themselves conqued by the Romans about a century later.

I like some of it, but not all of it. I don't like "I am arrogant." This is a virtue?

I don't like "I am worshipped." As a Christian, I oppose idolatry.

I'm not crazy about the tone, which is too much like "my country, right or wrong."

I also wouldn't be surprised if people in other countries aren't too inspired by it, since the only mention of other countries is as wartime enemies or ingrates. How about adding, "I am proud to stand tall beside the banners of all the other freedom-loving countries of the world."