Advancement Post Day Camp

I am a brand new Wolf Cub leader, and need some advice on how to handle advancement achievements after day camp.

We currently have 8 scouts registered as Wolf's for this year, and 2 who are planning to join in the fall, and that is before our recruitment event.

6 of my current scouts attended day camp, and we did a lot of belt loop things, but we also covered a bunch of advancement things.

Should I just redo the advancement activities that we did at camp for the whole group, even though most of my den has already completed them, or do I pull out the non-camper scout and new scouts to do them, while the camp group does something else. (Oh, and I do know that I need to do Bobcat with the brand new scouts.)

Surf, I think it depends on the activities. Maybe redo the fun ones that would make a great meeting anyway, or redo at a meeting that has all the new Scouts in attendance and maybe a couple of the more experienced boys are absent? As far as Bobcat I can't recommend highly enough having the current Wolves teach the Bobcat to the new Scouts whenever they join. It is fun, it is a good confidence booster. We have enjoyed using various trivia type games and cutting the promise, etc., into puzzle pieces to be properly put together. Have fun in Wolves!

I would re-do the advancements that were taught at Day Camp. For some Scouts, reinforced learning would be a plus. For other requirements, perhaps the Scout who remembers best could tell the others about their experience and then the whole bunch could work on the requirements together. I know 45min or so session in Day Camp really isn't enough to go through some of these requirements. And the Scout skills learned now do carry forward with the boys.

I would re-do the advancements that were taught at Day Camp. For some Scouts' date=' reinforced learning would be a plus. For other requirements, perhaps the Scout who remembers best could tell the others about their experience and then the whole bunch could work on the requirements together. I know 45min or so session in Day Camp really isn't enough to go through some of these requirements. And the Scout skills learned now do carry forward with the boys. [/quote']

Agree exactly. I sat through some of the sessions at our Council's Day camp and was surprised on what they were signing off. It never hurts to reinforce the important stuff because I guarantee most of it didn't sink in at Day Camp.

Always a good question. I was doing "Scout Skills" one year and the CSDC Asst. CD sent me an email saying, essentially, "of course they pass on the following knots," and listed eight or nine knots. I responded, I was lucky to teach FOUR knots, and maybe they LEARNED three over my 45 minute period. I was specific: Overhand, square knot, figure eight and bowline.... Maybe the bowline.... Those were the four knots that were listed in the "Requirements Covered at CSDC" list they sent out

I also pointed out that it was ALWAYS a good thing for the local Cub leaders to PRACTICE the knots with their Cubs. This was with three really gung ho Scouts helping (one of them did Scout Skills this year in my absence!), and encouraging ALL the Den Walkers to pitch in and help with the left over right, etc.

I am always surprised at how reticent some parents are to actually HELP at CSDC.

Wolf

1 - f, g, h, i, j, k and l pick one you did not do at summer camp

2 - They are going to do flag stuff throughout scouting, we start evey meeting with a flag ceromony

3 - I would probably not make the kids chart their progress a 2nd time but they other stuff is relatively easy and good cover

4 - If they already did the phone list have them confirm it is current, visit a different historical location, I doubt they tracked their chores for a month at day camp, the other stuff is pretty quick

5 - Build something else. At that age they need practice with tools

6 - Have them start a different collection

7 - Different stories, different location to clean up

8 - The food pryamid gets boring but there are a lot of different ways to present this. As far a making the meal do it on a camping trip as a den. People need to eat no reason they cannot help out more than 1x.

9 - A different bike route, a lot of the other stuff is checking their home so that is going to be done with the parent

10 - It is 2 items out of B-G pick different items

11 - We normally leave the religious items to the parents and confirm they worked on them

12 - This is actually the hard one, they kids that have already done it are going to know the answers. It will be hard to keep the conversation even for the ones that have not already been part of the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses! I'm not super worried about it, and I am sure that I can do everything differently, so the scouts won't necessarily realize that they have already done some of it.

The "unknown" of how recruiting will go makes it a bit harder to plan. If we get enough new wolves this year, my den will probably be split and we are planning to keep the current boys together, so it may not be much of an issue anyway.

Thanks Again!

For 12 we go the parents involved. We made the parents act out (roll play) the scenario, when then stopped it and had the scouts discuss how it could come out poorly vs good decisions. Some of the parents really enjoyed in, they knew their skit several weeks ahead of time we had them go practice for a couple meetings rather than winging it.