OA and recreational drug use

There is an interesting discussion taking place on another forum about the advancement consequences of a Scout's recreational drug use at camp. I'm curious. If the Scout were a member of OA, would OA impose any consequences, or would it be left to the unit leadership?

Problems like this should be reported to the SE and the SE (or his/her director of field service) should notify all units (troop + crews) in which the boy is a member. If it was something the boy did in one of his units, I'm not sure if the OA chapter would be informed.

If a youth did something criminal at an OA function, as a crew advisor I would be very upset if I were left in the dark about it. I would expect to hear from the SE or DFS. I would also like to hear from the lodge advisor before having a sit-down with the youth.

The OA Lodge would be limited to revoking his membership in the Lodge and restricting him from participating in Chapter/Lodge events.

The Lodge could not revoke his membership in the OA - only National can do that - but the Lodge can recommend that membership be revoked. I know that sounds wrong but consider that a Scout can be elected to the OA in one Lodge, might leave Scouting and not pay dues to the Lodge for a long period of time, have a family and rejoin Scouts with his own son in a different Council and can rejoin the OA by simply paying dues to the new Lodge without having to go through all the ceremonies again.

Since a Scout's primary responsibility is to his unit, the Lodge and/or professional staff (if involved) should be contacting the Scout's unit.

The Order of the Arrow is a Boy Scout program, administered by the local councils. If a scout is caught with illegal drugs on Council property the SE has to be notified. The SE is the ultimate authority in the OA Lodge and whatever decisions the council makes about the scout will also apply to OA participation.

The OA is not an entity separate from BSA and local council and more than the Local Council's Camp is.

• Downvote 1

Interesting how it is illegal for a minor to purchase tobacco or to sell tobacco to a minor. So the only way for a minor to obtain tobacco is to steal it or "find" it. Either way sounds like a violation of the oath and law. Anyone feel this should be treated differently that a scout caught with weed?

On whether or not OA would treat tobacco use differently from recreational drug use, I don't know.

I suppose some aspects of the infractions are the same, but others are not. Both should be reported and dealt with, but not necessarily at the same level, and not with the same severity.

I do know that a school would treat it differently. Tobacco use would be dealt with by the principal or dean of students. Recreational drug use is an expulsion level offense requiring school board notification and action.