Venture Crews at summer camp

A request for Venture crew leaders.

Please steer your Crews, especially those with young ladies, away from traditional boy scout summer camps.

It disrupts the boys in a not very constructive manner.

If you chose to ignore this request. Please make sure they have things to wear other than short shorts and spaghetti strap belly shirts. Changed the camp from a boy scout camp to a testosterone fueled can of stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. They are venturing crews, not venture crews. (Sorry, I'll take off my leader specific trainer hat now.) 2. If Seabase has a dress code, so should any BSA camp. We expect our lifeguards to adhere

I'll preface my post by saying I dress modestly, and I dress my young daughter modestly. That is my choice as a female and as a mother.   However, this attitude is absolutely disgusting. While I m

Can't agree with you on this one Basement. Part of being a good citizen, good values, and ethical behavior is learning how to effectively function in a diverse population. Just as our population is ma

There were young female staff at every summer camp that I have been to. The boys act dumb around them. I believe the venture crews should go to camps. They should sign up for the high adventure programs and be mentally and physically pushed past there comfort level. The structure of the camp might be good for them to experience.

• Upvote 1

The camp staff are properly attired in the camp designated uniform. Not belly shirts and short shorts.

Let me say the Crew Adult leadership had the audacity to complain at the evening leaders meeting about the harassment their girls were receiving. their attire was brought up and they said it was socially acceptable clothing and we need to teach our boys respect.

One leader chimed up if you dress like a tramp you get treated like a tramp.

Our society, USA, is failing to teach our boys and girls to respect each other. It was like mating season,

Our society' date=' USA, is failing to teach our boys and girls to respect each other. It was like mating season, [/quote']

More importantly, IMNSHO, we need to teach our kids to respect themselves.

As for the socially acceptable statement, it's socially acceptable for boys to walk around with their drawers hanging down around their knees. That doesn't make it acceptable for a scouting event.

their attire was brought up and they said it was socially acceptable clothing and we need to teach our boys respect.

One leader chimed up if you dress like a tramp you get treated like a tramp.

I'll preface my post by saying I dress modestly, and I dress my young daughter modestly. That is my choice as a female and as a mother.

However, this attitude is absolutely disgusting. While I may agree with you about keeping boys and girls separated for various reason, to suggest that these girls are tramps because of how they dress is vulgar at best. Boys can't control themselves, so we should cover the girls up? Are you kidding me? Alcoholics can't control themselves, so should we reinstate prohibition? We SHOULD be teaching our boys respect, and self discipline. Giving boys a pass to act like rude, nasty little people because they can't possibly control themselves with all those hormones raging? Give me a break. A girl can dress however she chooses, that doesn't give ANYONE any reason to treat her any different than they would treat anyone else. We respect people they are human beings and innately deserving of respect. How someone dresses has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the person they are inside.

I DO agree that there should be certain dress codes required for certain events. If a dress code needs to be drafted for your particular summer camp, perhaps that's something you could work on. Maybe you could even work on it, without *gasp* calling teenage girls tramps. But let's keep in mind that if girls can't bare their midriff, maybe the boys shouldn't be able to either? If we are going to make one gender dress a certain way, then we ought to follow those same rules for both genders, yes?

• Upvote 2

My old council banned swim team jammers and the boys had to wear trunks. I guess you could make the girls wear trunks as well. :) On one hand I agree the boys should be able to control themselves and not harass the girls. For the most part they manage in school everyday. However, our schools do have a dress code and crop tops and booty shorts are not allowed. I think the larger issue is the boys are going to BOY SCOUT CAMP to be boys in a fun and safe environment. T&A was not listed in the Program Manual.

1. They are venturing crews, not venture crews. (Sorry, I'll take off my leader specific trainer hat now.)

2. If Seabase has a dress code, so should any BSA camp. We expect our lifeguards to adhere to a standard. It's not so far fetched to expect the same from young women and young men.

3. One of man's greatest inventions was clothing.

4. We have not trained our boys in Dinka culture. (Which carries punishment of death for not controlling one's biological displays of interest in the presence of a naked woman.)

5. Rather, our culture conditions boys to see women as prey. It conditions women that they can only achieve greatness by dressing like prey. Call it the spoils of the sexual revolution.

Ideally, we would approach this on both fronts: instructing youth to dress modestly AND instructing them to regard one another as more than pieces of meat. But that ain't happening at home or school, and we scouters just are just trying to teach boys with an already limited attention span to start fires without burning the forest down. Very few of us want to be bothered with lessons on sexual harassment.

• Upvote 4
Why are Venture crews allowed anywhere near a traditional BS summer camp?

Do you really need an an$wer to that que$tion?

This needs to start at your Council.

You are really wondering why the pro$s didn't proactively e$tabli$h a code of conduct?

I wi$h I knew!

• Upvote 1

What surprises me is why would any Venturing Crew want to spend a week at summer camp? There's a ton of stuff out there that would qualify as far more adventurous than watching the younger boys earn their MB's.

As I sit here writing this, I can think of literally hundreds of other things out there I would do before I considered a week at council's summer camp.

Stosh

I'll preface my post by saying I dress modestly, and I dress my young daughter modestly. That is my choice as a female and as a mother.

However, this attitude is absolutely disgusting. While I may agree with you about keeping boys and girls separated for various reason, to suggest that these girls are tramps because of how they dress is vulgar at best. Boys can't control themselves, so we should cover the girls up? Are you kidding me? Alcoholics can't control themselves, so should we reinstate prohibition? We SHOULD be teaching our boys respect, and self discipline. Giving boys a pass to act like rude, nasty little people because they can't possibly control themselves with all those hormones raging? Give me a break. A girl can dress however she chooses, that doesn't give ANYONE any reason to treat her any different than they would treat anyone else. We respect people they are human beings and innately deserving of respect. How someone dresses has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the person they are inside.

I DO agree that there should be certain dress codes required for certain events. If a dress code needs to be drafted for your particular summer camp, perhaps that's something you could work on. Maybe you could even work on it, without *gasp* calling teenage girls tramps. But let's keep in mind that if girls can't bare their midriff, maybe the boys shouldn't be able to either? If we are going to make one gender dress a certain way, then we ought to follow those same rules for both genders, yes?

I figured I would have a mom or lady post saying it was the boys fault.

I never called the girls tramps. One of the leaders did at leaders the meeting did.

Just an FYI, The boys are completely clothed except at the water front or pool

The girls should dress in the same manner as the boys. Tshirt and basketball shorts seem to be the style for the week, I would have the same issue with a young man showing up in yoga, or tiny shorts and a string top or tube top. It just isn't appropriate.

Ya I have a huge beef with what happened and went on. It really screwed up the camp for the week, r

The boys have not learned self control yet, they are in the middle of the mind and body changes..... A half or 2/3 naked gal is gonna mess with his mind and body.

the young ladies and the leaders who thought it is ok for their daughters to run around camp with butt cheeks and breast hanging out of clothing need to adjust their thinking.

I am a scout leader not a sex education instructor.

I have since spoke with the Camp Director and Program Director very directly about what went on. The crew will not be welcome back next year as they were called into the office Monday morning at camp regarding the complaints about their unit and failed to address them.