Let's play Unit Commissioner

Bob, OK, now we know all about Troop A. Please note that I have mostly agreed with you in this thread, and that in the majority of cases of "Bob vs. Ed" in earlier threads, I have agreed with you more than him. Sometimes I have posted my agreement, sometimes I have not.

But as far as this forum member is concerned, right now this thread is not about Ed's troop or the use of program in a Scout troop, or emphasis on advancement or anything else but one thing. It is about the tactics that have been used in this thread, and to reach my own conclusion on that subject, I will ask you again:

Bob, is Troop B your troop? And by that, not to be too "cute," I mean the troop in which you are a registered leader.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever posted that only the SPL was elected, I was wrong. The Scouts in my Troop have always elected the SPL, ASPL & PL's. All other positions were appointed by the SPL.

Start digging, Bob. I don't remember ever remember posting "my Troop is great because I don't use the NSP or FCFY". Me thinks you did your assuming thing again.

The only merit badges we direct Scouts to are four for their 1st year at summer camp. The Trail to 1st Class program at our camp isn't real great so we figure the Scouts will learn something & have fun earning some "easier" merit badges.

I will be happy to answer but allow me to preface this.

First, it would not have been fair to compare a real troop A with a hypothetical Troop B.

Second, there is nothing special or unique about me as a scouter, or the packs or troops I have served in, other than I use the scouting program. The same scout program that is in the training and resources available to and known by Ed.

If your plan is to try and scold or embarrass me for having a healthy program, and for crediting that to using the scouting program it won't work.

I am not responsible for the quality of scouting in any unit I have been in, the scouting program is. I have been doing this for a long time and I have seen many units come and go. The fact is that the units that have stable membership, coinsistant advancement, retain most scouts to 18, sustain Cubs to Arrow of Light. Have the strongest Charter Organization Relationships and have the most developed scouts, are the units that follow the program the closest.

I would have preferred to use the troop Where Eamonn is Scoutmaster or OGE's or one of the other many leaders on this board instead. But I did not want to subject them to any of the possible backlash from the few posters who have so little respect for the BSA and it's programs. So I used the statistics from my son's troop.

3 years ago this was a troop with about 15 scouts whose SM was removed for Youth Protection reasons. The troop would have folded if it were not for all new leadership who made it a goal to folow the program. You can see the results. We have never done a merit badge as a troop meeting program. We do not rubber stamp advancement. We train, practice, apply, and encourage scouts to pursue MBs on their own time. We are not perfect, we have things we could still do better, but there are no perfect troops. That doesn't mean you can't be a good troop and it doesn't mean that you can do want you want and call it scouting whether you like the results or not.

Scouting is the method we use not the uniform we wear.

Don't be quick to criticize my method. All I did was point out a hazard that was camoflaged as a benefit. I did not create the hazard.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"I am not responsible for the quality of scouting in any unit I have been in, the scouting program is."

Interesting statement. How the program is delivered is the quality. If it is delivered poorly the quality is poor & visa versa.

Ed Mori

A blessed Christmas to all!

1 Peter 4:10

"How the program is delivered is the quality. If it is delivered poorly the quality is poor & visa versa."

And there Ed is where we differ the most. You say, how the program is delivered is the measure of the program's quality.

I say, how it is delivered is the measure of the quality of the leaders.

The quality of the scouting program is in the aims and methods of the BSA.

Bob White