Non-official uniform pants

What are the general feelings toward non-official uniform pants? My husband and I took our son to the local Scout shop yesterday to get him outfitted with his uniform. But the pants are ridiculously huge. He's small for his age and very very slender. I only buy him slim fit pants as a rule, and even those have to have the elastic inside the waistband cinched down really tight. The size 4 Cub Scout pants fit decently well in length, and they can be hemmed, but they are huge otherwise. We bought the pants anyway, because we are big on doing our best to look our best and follow the rules. Most of the boys in the pack just wear jeans or whatever pants they have, so my son will likely be the only boy in the full uniform. I found some slim size cargo pants that are navy blue online, from a brand I normally like for my son. Will he look like he's in full uniform if his pants are not the official Cub Scout pants? I want him to look nice, but the official uniform pants just do not fit well. Or will he look as "un-put together" as the boys in jeans or whatever pants do?

Will he look like he's in full uniform if his pants are the official Cub Scout pants?

Yes.

I want him to look nice' date=' but the official uniform pants just do not fit well.[/quote']

That's part of the charm of the whole thing. The boy who barely fits into his uni now will be bursting out of it in 4 years!

Or will he look as "un-put together" as the boys in jeans or whatever pants do?
Yes, which is why a lot of those parents make do with whatever. It's a lot to pay for a silly look. but as long as he's not tripping them and hurting himself when he runs/walks, I assure you, the psychological damage will be minimal.

The only look you really have to worry about is the size of the smile on the boy's face! :D

Our school system here requires uniforms to be worn at all times. So my son has quite a few navy blue uniform pants and shorts. We bought him a pair of the scout switch backs his first year in scouting but like your son, they fit awkwardly. He wears the rest of the uniform in entirety, except for the pants. The school uniform pants are half the price, fit better and are the exact same color. You really can't notice a difference unless you get up close and inspect. I encourage parents who cannot afford the switchbacks (or dislike them for various reasons) to let them wear a pair of their uniform pants from school. So far it hasn't caused any issue.

What's the big deal, the vast majority of scouts don't wear the BSA uniform correctly anyway. Units that do wear the uniform correctly stand out as an exception rather than the rule.

Stosh

What's the big deal' date=' the vast majority of scouts don't wear the BSA uniform correctly anyway. Units that do wear the uniform correctly stand out as an exception rather than the rule. Stosh[/quote'] We prefer to be the exception. We try and teach our children to do things 100% even if they are surrounded by people who do things 50%.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Our boy's school uniform pants were the same color as the Scout uniform pants. Most boys just wore those (or the school shorts)' date=' and looked fine.[/quote']

We do the same thing here. The school uniform pants look the same. We probably have about a third of the cubs wearing official BSA pants, the rest either school pants, or something that looks the same. The uniformed adults however, we are all in complete official BSA pants, shirts, etc.

I used to feel differently about this, but last summer when I was getting ready for summer camp and Jamboree I pulled out all my uniform shorts at once. I had five pares, between fabric changes, sun bleaching, wear and tear from use, style changes, etc. they were uniformly different. The closest I had to two matching was a pare of the swim/shorts and an additional pare of khaki green shorts from Columbia. So I decided the heck with it and threw the Columbias into the rotation with the five official BSA pants.

I would much rather see someone wear a pare of shorts or pants that is very close to the uniform than to see jeans or other absolutely not close pants.

I agree with T2Eagle. In this situation, I think a similar cheaper/better fitting pair of pants or shorts is better than jeans or pants that stand out drastically. I also support looking neat over '100%' uniform suited if part of the uniform just doesn't fit right and there's no official alternative until the scout grows more.

What's the big deal, the vast majority of scouts don't wear the BSA uniform correctly anyway. Units that do wear the uniform correctly stand out as an exception rather than the rule.

Stosh

Unfortunately it's so true, One nice thing about being in full uniform: you get noticed and/or publicity. My pack was going to take their group picture on the USS YORKTOWN as soon as we we came back from visiting Fort Sumter. So we full uniform, or at least as much as some folks had, in stead of the pack t-shirts. When we got to Sumter, the rangers picked our guys to put up the current US flag, and also lead everyone in the ceremony or posting the colors.

And twice already, in the past 5 years, we had a Cub from our pack on the front page of the newspaper for our Memorial Day Service project of putting flags out. This year went to a Boy Scout, who graduated from the pack, who was in full uniform.

One thing I did, OK the wife actually did it, was tailor the uniforms my boys bought so that it would fit a little better and allow them to grow into it. a few stitches can make a difference.

Look into 5.11 Tacticle Pants...they are high but they last a long time' date=' wear well, don't fade[/quote']

My husband has 5.11 Tactical pants, I know and love them well. From what I could see on their website, they don't make childrens sizes. They would be just about perfect though.

I agree with T2Eagle. In this situation' date=' I think a similar cheaper/better fitting pair of pants or shorts is better than jeans or pants that stand out drastically. I also support looking neat over '100%' uniform suited if part of the uniform just doesn't fit right and there's no official alternative until the scout grows more.[/quote']

You said what I was thinking well. Will he look better in knock off (but same color) pants that actually fit, or will he look better in the official uniform pants that absolutely do not fit nicely.

Unfortunately it's so true' date=' One nice thing about being in full uniform: you get noticed and/or publicity. My pack was going to take their group picture on the USS YORKTOWN as soon as we we came back from visiting Fort Sumter. So we full uniform, or at least as much as some folks had, in stead of the pack t-shirts. When we got to Sumter, the rangers picked our guys to put up the current US flag, and also lead everyone in the ceremony or posting the colors.[/quote']

Totally off topic but I'm so happy to see someone on here in my neck of the woods (somewhat.) We just camped out at the USS Yorktown back in February with our council :)

Back on topic, Lenae, I wish you luck with what y'all decide. I agree that the tailoring will help if you already own a pair of the official pants. I had to have my own uniform tailored (it fit in the waist but the length was ridiculously long on me.) Maybe in the future I'll see about having the same done for my son.

We prefer to be the exception. We try and teach our children to do things 100% even if they are surrounded by people who do things 50%.

If official above the belt and Hawaiian shorts below the belt is 50%, what's the percentage if it's any other kind of unofficial pants regardless of how much they look official.... I'm thinking that if it's a message one wishes to be conveyed to the boys, the percentage should stay at 50% uniformed.

My prior troop took great pride in the fact that they were 100% official field uniformed. Were they all uniformed? Nope, some wore the older all green uniforms, but they found the proper historic insignia for the era. The boys got a ton of compliments wherever they went. The public does notice, but tends to be polite enough not to mention it.

When was the last time I heard anyone compliment my boys on their uniforms? Hmmm, let me think.... this afternoon while they were doing a fundraiser at the local grocery store. Yep, working at a food booth in the hot sun in full uniform on Fathers' Day.

Stosh