OA let my son down

The OA is a Boy Scout program' date=' adults are not in charge. I keep reading posts bashing things your local Lodges/Chapters are and are not doing. One question: how many scouts from your unit are active in the OA? The OA isn't an outside group, it's made up of scouts from units, yours included ... are you and your scouts promoting the program, and supplying the man power to move things in a positive direction, or just sitting back waiting for others to deliver the program to you?[/quote'] 6 scouts in his unit are in OA including the scoutmasters son, I was never a OA member.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then isn't it up to the youth in your District to do something about that? You can complain, or you can find a solution. If the OA means something to the youth who have been elected as Arrowmen in you

yeah, every story has two sides. As OA Chapter Advisor I can tell you stories about scoutmasters refusing to return phone calls and emails, waiting until the last minute to schedule an election then

The OA is a Boy Scout program, adults are not in charge.   I keep reading posts bashing things your local Lodges/Chapters are and are not doing. One question: how many scouts from your unit are act

That's Agaming Maangogwan. There are 27 counties in the lodge many districts are 3' date=' 4, 5 all the way up to 9 counties. There are often not enough units in some areas of the lodge to do elections. In Agaming Maangogwan it is up to the youth leaders of every district to contact units about elections. Most will talk at the district round tables to initiate elections. Call-outs are primarily done at summer camp and the only Agaming Maangogwan based call-out is done at Camp Rotary. As one of the Lodge Program Advisers for Agaming Maangogwan I will do my best to encourage the youth leaders to rectify any problems, which district/city do you live in?[/quote'] lapeer county, blue star district, its sad, really, my son initially wasn't sure about OA untill he talked to dan segersin, now hes sure that its all talk., on a side note, The boys only do what the adults allow them to do, so they do it right ( direct quote from a senior scout
OA membership is not given for what you have done' date=' but rather for what you'll be expected to do in the future.[/quote']

Ummm Interesting ...If That was so any scout could join OA...and there would not be membership requirements before you Eligible to Be VOTED in. So Many Paper OA Members...Ever hear of Sash and Dash

Ummm Interesting ...If That was so any scout could join OA...and there would not be membership requirements before you Eligible to Be VOTED in. So Many Paper OA Members...Ever hear of Sash and Dash

I've heard it and I don't care for that term at all and wish it was never coined. A scout has no obligation, absolutely none, to do anything in the OA. Who's to say that the scout isn't active and supporting his unit just because he never does anything with the lodge or chapter? He certainly didn't pledge to do so at the ordeal.

From an OA Handbook, Purpose of the Order:

To recognize those campers - Scouts and Scouters - who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and by such recognition cause other campers to conduct themselves in such manner as to warrant recognition.
lapeer county' date=' blue star district, its sad, really, my son initially wasn't sure about OA untill he talked to dan segersin, now hes sure that its all talk., on a side note, The boys only do what the adults allow them to do, so they do it right ( direct quote from a senior scout[/quote']

Well Blue Star district does not have a local chapter which is most likely why you have had difficulty with the OA.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all talk" can you clarify?

As far as youth doing only what adults allow them to do, so they do it right I can tell you from personal experience that as a youth I messed up a lot as an officer but quickly learned.

Well Blue Star district does not have a local chapter which is most likely why you have had difficulty with the OA. I'm not sure what you mean by "all talk" can you clarify? As far as youth doing only what adults allow them to do' date=' so they do it right I can tell you from personal experience that as a youth I messed up a lot as an officer but quickly learned. [/quote'] "all talk" , seems clear to me

I think there are a few issues being raised here:

1. There wasn't an election at the Troop level and, therefore, a potential Ordeal candidate was not chosen in that Troop.

2. There is a disconnect between a Troop at the local chapter and/or Lodge leadership.

3. There is frustration about whether or not an Arrowman should or should not be active at the chapter and/or Lodge level.

My suggestion would be for the Troop's Senior Patrol Leader to appoint an Order of the Arrow Representative to promote the OA within the Troop and to be the liaison between the local chapter/lodge and the Troop. That way there's youth leadership and representation--the way it should be. It would also help if the Scoutmaster were an OA member.

As for whether or not an Arrowman should be active in the Lodge, I would remind everyone that the Arrowman's first responsibility is to his Troop. The colorful pocket flap shows the younger Scouts that you've been selected as an honor camper--someone that they can look up to and trust. Going to every Ordeal/Conference/Fellowship/NOAC does not a good Arrowman make. Serving those who chose you is how an Arrowman lives up to the ideals of membership.

• 2 weeks later...

~~I've heard it and I don't care for that term at all and wish it was never coined. A scout has no obligation, absolutely none, to do anything in the OA. Who's to say that the scout isn't active and supporting his unit just because he never does anything with the lodge or chapter? He certainly didn't pledge to do so at the ordeal

Wrong!!! All members pledge.

I, John Doe, on my honor as a scout, will always and faithfully observe and preserve the traditions of the order of the arrow.

If you take the obligation to be a member, that means you are expected to live up to the oath. Just like the scout promise and law.

• Upvote 1

~~I've heard it and I don't care for that term at all and wish it was never coined. A scout has no obligation, absolutely none, to do anything in the OA. Who's to say that the scout isn't active and supporting his unit just because he never does anything with the lodge or chapter? He certainly didn't pledge to do so at the ordeal

Wrong!!! All members pledge.

I, John Doe, on my honor as a scout, will always and faithfully observe and preserve the traditions of the order of the arrow.

If you take the obligation to be a member, that means you are expected to live up to the oath. Just like the scout promise and law.

First, I wrote that in response to

So Many Paper OA Members...Ever hear of Sash and Dash

Yes, pledge to observe and preserve the traditions of the Order of the Arrow, WWW. That is not the same as pledging to go to chapter meetings, lodge fellowships, etc.

Is it conceivable that an OA member could faithfully observe and preserve the traditions of the Order by Scouting in a unit?

I hear someone saying, "Brothers, what is our purpose?"

Perhaps the OA has changed. It turned out to be so weak - almost dead - here that I lost track. One year it had absolutely no meetings or activiites for the membership in general. Besides, my original Lodge merged out, as they say, and a lot of my feelings were tied up in that Lodge.

Council mergers can be rough.

I guess I'm one of your sash-n-dashers. The ordeal meant a lot to me, and I think it helped me be a better scout. I held on to all the materials and read them. But, lodge activities involved driving long distances on inconvenient weekends. On the other hand, many boys in my troop didn't find those distances all that long ....

What's disappointing is hearing of lodges who miss engaging those boys who would add to the life of the body.

You gotta cast the net before you can pick your fish.

• 2 months later...

I got a call Saturday Night (2 weeks after last ordeal of the year) from a scoutmaster asking for an election. I'm happy to set up and bring an election team. His troop hasn't had an arrowman in 5 years. 9 out of 10 troops in our District / chapter don't do enough camping to qualify candidates. If there is a candidate in this district we will be there. Now the SM failed to call Sunday to confirm date and failed to reply to my call Monday morning, So the Chief and I will be going to their Troop meeting this week to get paperwork started and set a date. Especially after reading this thread.

TAM

• Upvote 1