Question on Committee Meeting Minutes

Ok so, we have a secretary that makes sure to take noted during the meetings. She does a great job, goes home and types them up and brings them to the next committee meeting next month. The question I have is, should we make enough copies for the pack so the parents can read up on what is going on behind the scenes? How do you handle that? Thank everyone.

If they like the idea of passing them out to the parents I agree, that they should be given out sooner. However we only have the same people at the Committee meetings and we all know what is going on that is why I assume she just gives them out at the following meeting.

I wouldn't personally spend the ink/paper on printing them for every parent when 80% will go right in the trash. If you've got a printer or copier at the meeting place I'd just say they're available for anyone who wants one.

Roberts Rule of Order? But yes, I will have to have someone second the idea before I actual do it, but wanted some outside advice. Sometimes I think things sound good in my head and don't actually work out the way I was thinking, Much rather be told my idea is crazy in here then at the committee meeting..lol (Not just think idea but other things I have asked) :)

I think it makes sense to have the committee members review the "minutes" to make sure they are correct, and then pass them out to the parents so the parents know what it is going on. We don't do that in our troop committee, because our meetings really are not formal enough to produce "minutes", and we almost never vote on anything. Well, the biggest reason is that except for scattered times over the 10+ years I have been on the committee, there was nobody interested in taking minutes, and we rely upon the CC to communicate with the parents about anything that needs to be communicated. That is not a perfect system either.

Also, it is not clear from the original post what is in these minutes. It really should just be actions taken, not what everybody said about every subject. If it is just a summary of actions taken, it could be a good communications tool with the parents.

We print minutes for the committee members to review and approve. We post the minutes on our website for everyone else. (Needless to say, personal information is not recorded in minutes.)

Our minutes are for committee members only or as needed and don't include personal info or scout names if discipline issues are discussed. We post a newsletter for the parents, most don't seem to want to wade through the minutiae of the meeting minutes for information.