Committee Chair problems

Thanks for all the advice. The CM is one of the people who wants to fire the CC. She argued with him about uniform at the last pack meeting. We (the pack committee) are going to have a face to face sit down later in the summer. We are going to clarify what her job is and how she has not been performing the job. If she doesn't shape up we will ask her to leave. The key is the pack committee wants to clarify our pack policies. We are going to also have a pack trainer and an activities coordinator this up coming year. We have never had those positions filled. The CM also wants to have the parents more involved in the activities at the pack meeting. That way the CC doesn't have the opportunity to run the parents off at every meeting.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's ridiculous! Hope your Hazardous Weather training is up-to-date because it can be pretty dangerous taking those Tigers on a go-see to the local library.

If the committee, leaders, and CM are all on the same page, your problem is 99% solved. Just make the program what you want. Take charge. Particularly since you don't have a bona fide CO that the CC c

Well we have a big update. The council is now involved. They have promised we can update the charter to "fix" it. They are also going to work with us to find a real chartering organization.

If the committee, leaders, and CM are all on the same page, your problem is 99% solved. Just make the program what you want. Take charge. Particularly since you don't have a bona fide CO that the CC can go complain to, the problem will most likely take care of itself.

I was in a similar situation as a CM years ago. Dealt with a do-nothing CC and everything came to me as CM. So, I focused on the program and had all the den leaders (who I or the previous CM had recruited) on board. Started calling monthly leader meetings. Anything that wasn't "program" that needed to be done I put in her lap. Friends of Scouting? "See the Committee Chair." Question from the bank? See the committee chair. Communique from district? Forward to the committee chair. Etc etc etc.

Eventually the CC said she didn't have time to do the job and needed to resign. We presented her a nice service award at the next Blue and Gold. Everybody was a winner and she went out on what she thought were her terms.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

So I have a complication to our CC problem. She appointed her "friend" as the chartered organization representative. This is horrible because we are a self chartered organization. The only way we can get rid of this person and her "friend" is to call a parent meeting and call a vote. This means we will have to drag all the dirty laundry out for the pack to see. The "friend" in the meeting actually said I own the pack. The unit commissioner is involved now. Turns out the CC has been lying to him as well. I feel betrayed. I helped save a dying pack and now because of two power hungry vengeful people the pack is going to die after decades in existence. It is horrible how one bad seed can ruin it for the rest.

Our advancement chairs burn't out from work overload and kept quitting so we are trying dividing the jon into three persons (one does advancements' date=' one keeps track of event attendance and service hours, and the third merit badge tracking.)[/quote']

You must have a big troop. Also, what is the scribe doing? The scribe should be keeping track of event attendance. Also, my troop uses Troop web host for a lot of that. Using Troop Web host, any leader can keep track of event attendance, and advancement, leaving the AC to do merit badge tracking and advancement reporting.

Thank you scout nut. I will take these ideas to the rest of the leadership. We can't call in the Charter Organization because we are our own Chartered Organization. It is called the parents of pack 123. I have no idea who that really is. It was created before we entered the pack. We have similar problems with our recharter. She fills in the blanks with names of people not necessarily the people who are doing the job or even know that they are in leadership position. After the accident last year I clarified when we need to have a tour permit and when we don't. Our council wants one filed if the activity is not taking place at our regular meeting site. The strange thing is that the accident did happen at the regular meeting site. Why she tried to say it wasn't a scouting event I am not sure. It isn't like the parent was trying to sue. They just wanted to know how to file an incident report.

Cubmaster should be filling out the trip permits, IMHO.

Perdidochas we do not have a large pack. We have about 25 boys. We have a lot of problems getting parents to volunteer mainly because the CC tries to tell them how to do their job and doesn't communicate well. Thanks Jason that is probably the plan. It is just awkward because most of the boys go to the same school and both these people are involved in other activities. I hope they don't spread more lies.

Helper, who is listed as the IH (institutional head) on the charter paperwork. The IH owns the pack and can remove any leader or scout from the pack at will. They hold all of the power. Talk to the IH. Have them write a letter to district removing the current COR & CC and then name new people. Include completed applications for the new positions.

Every troop, pack, or crew must have a institution head (IH). The IH owns the equipment, bank account, and union number. The IH is in effect the chartered organization. The IH has ultimate authority and power over a unit.

Adding to what SM bob said, the Institutional Head is the person who signs off on the charter document as a whole. In addition, the Cubmaster also has to sign off on the charter document. If the CC is playing around with who's who on the charter, these are the people to review and approve it. The first person, the IH, also signs off on every adult leader position that requires an membership application. These are all checks and balances to keep one person from running the entire show without any oversight. If you can't ask the CC who your IH is, your District Executive will know. Your DE will also know which units in the area are healthy and thriving or who could use more willing families and who follow good BSA practices.

Good news. Friends of type COs can be a real problem because you some times need a King to declare "Off with their heads!" That said one of the largest and most active troops in my area has been one since 1945. Has 20 Badgers on the committee and is heaving involved at council and district level. Definitely my plan b or c.